What size generator for 7100 BTU AC?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRRNeiklot

Reaction score
I have a 7100 BTU AC unit that I would like to power with a generator.  I'm considering the new Honda EU2200.  Will it run my AC?

The AC unit will have a sticker or plaque on it somewhere that tells you how many amps it requires to run. Find that number and multiply it by 120 (Volts) this is the total number of watts it will require to run and you can compare that to the total running watts the generator provides.
You should make sure you have more generation capacity than the AC unit requires because it requires more power to start the machine than to run it. If you look up the specs on the internet for the AC unit it will also have a starting amp rating.
-Dave

A Honda 2200 should run it fine, but high altitude and a high outdoor temp will affect the start up surge too.

So I found an 8000 BTU air conditioner on Amazon & via the description obtained a spec sheet pdf which shows a 6.2 amp requirement, and using the above info a 744 watt requirement. The Honda EU2000 should be capable of that with its 1600 watt running spec (2000 watt starting). Another reference is found at Home Depot / Honda 2000 page where a list of power use estimates shows a 10000 BTU air conditioner with 1200 watt running & 1800 watt starting requirements. The Honda EU2200 that you're considering has 1800 watt running & 2200 watt starting capabilities. Hope this helps

Thanks for the replies.

Just got off the phone with the manufacturer. He claims the ac - it's an older one in a 1995 Coachmen - will need a 3,000 watt generator. The ac is the only reason I will be needing a generator. As generators are non returnable after being gassed up, it's hard to justify 1 $1,000 purchase on mixed information.

Glad you found out what you needed to know. Have a nice day. Best wishes.

I run a 13,000 BTU roof AC on my camper with a Honda EU2000. No problems. Yamaha couldn't handle the starting current.

How new is your ac? Modern units are much more efficient.

yep it all depends on the individual AC. different makes, models and years will all effect how it preforms on a generator. my suggestion would be to rent one of the smaller(2,000 watt) generators and see how it performs. make sure you run it awhile to get it hot, doing the test during a high ambient temp would be best. see if it cycles right and starts with high head pressure. highdesertranger

What about those add-on soft starts people are talking about? Can't think of the name right now.

Hard start capacitors, about $30. Honda generator should have no problem with that small of an AC with a hard start capacitor added, it will probably work without one but eco mode will need the cap.

JRRNeiklot said:
I have a 7100 BTU AC unit that I would like to power with a generator.  I'm considering the new Honda EU2200.  Will it run my AC?

My 900 Watt Ryobi propane generator powers a 6,000 BTU Keystone window air conditioner. Small window A/C units are relatively cheap. If your old A/C eats too much juice, a couple of hundred will get you a more efficient one.

There's a bunch of replies here that are going to cost you a lot money .
Start with the question in general , motor starting varies a lot , but a general rule of thumb is a min. of 2-3 times the running current .
I going to use approximate , but even numbers , that are close to make the points .
So you have an AC unit that takes 500 watts to run , and min. 1,000 watts to start - what about some conditions varying and now you need 3,000 watts ?
You also have to watch out for the bs from the sales people , keep the idea of margins in mind when estimating anything .
So you buy a generator labeled 2,000 watts [ being older and having been in the repair bis , the large numbers used to be honest - the running current / now the large number , at best are the surge ] so your new generator - if you read the documentation that came with it says starting current is 1,600 watts .
Average price of that generator is over $1,000 + plus the labor to replace ? , average price of your AC $900 , so an average of close to $2,500 .
HOW OFTEN DO YOU WANT TO SPEND THAT MONEY , OVER & OVER AGAIN ?
The 1st two replies on Googling RV AV starting watts - https://www.google.com/search?q=rv+...j69i57j0l4.14855j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
So a 8,000 btu starts with 1,850 watts , with a 2,000 watt generator .
Or 10,000 btu takes 2,00 and start with 2,000 with same generator .
Or 13,500 btu 2,800 starting watts and start with same 2,000 generator . " no problems " ?!
So you drive your car like a race car , or you drive your RV like a semi-truck - how long do you think either is going to last .
Now if those abusing there equipment would tell you the truth after what a season , more or less , that they killed both the generator & AC , they may not die at the same time but both will have a short life .
Ask anybody in the repair bis. , that is not trying to sell you something and is honest .
So do not anticipate the best conditions & send the lest on the cheapest .
Engineering principles do something like anticipate the worst conditions , so at least 3 times starting current , not 2 times .
Then you get many benefits your equipment will last longer , run better , run cheaper [ generators get better gas millage if the cruising - peak power point ] on something like the Honda , look at the spec. sheet for consumption 3 gal per hr max , 8 gal per hr 1/4 load , so a real load for long life is 1/2 load = 800 watts .
Lastly , most AC systems nowdays , use a thermostat , this means that the AC unit compressor shuts down frequently , once the set point is reached / and then startup again , now how often do you run your AC in the summer , many times 24 hrs. a day .