What rig would you choose in my shoes?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm loving my little Class C although there are occasionally things that I wish were different.  There's no perfect solution and part of the process of being a happy mobile dweller is learning to deal with small comfort issues and adapt your thinking and satisfaction to meet with reality.

I'm thrilled with the small size of my rig and the lack of dangling trailer or vehicle whenever I'm on a small, winding road or pulling in to a smallish parking area.  I never wish I had more space but I do think about changing the seating or re-configuring the storage.  Neither are terrible and hence, still in the consideration phase rather than the redo stage.

Prioritize your desires:  Living space?  Mobility?  Cost to use?  and go from there.

I spent a couple of years learning everything I could about RVs. How they are built, what materials are used, how manufacturers solve insulation problems, wiring issues, etc (or I should say..not solve).

I concluded that buying an RV had to include the plan that I would gut it completely and build it again properly to solve all the issues and build quality (which RV manufacturers certainly do not do).

I spent a year (and drove all over eastern USA) looking for the RV that was low mileage and interior a complete wreck. I did not want to pay for an interior I was going to rip out and throw away.

I found it a year ago. In Orlando. I have been a year now in complete renovation. Doing what budget allowed each month. When complete..it will be exactly what I want. (May change my mind and sell it in the future...but even then..I expect that I should get some $$ for it)

I would warn you that a class C will need many repairs and upgrades. They are not built to last. They are built with the knowledge that the first owner will not use them much and sell them after only a couple years. Manufacturers do not put quality in because by the time the problems get bad...their buyer is long gone, and subsequent owners have no ability to make a claim against manufacturer. Fulltimers have the added disadvantage that the manufacturers usually specially state that the RV is not for fulltime use.

RV market is "buyer beware". Lemon laws do not apply to RVs.

A Class B will make for an easy transition from apartment living to living on the road. After a few months you will know what you need and what you don't need. Then you would probably design a simpler van build out with simpler systems.

If you want to save yourself the cost of a Class B, look at van build out by Bob Wells, Almost There and C40. There are many more good examples.

My experience driving a 2001 RoadTrek is that it is a great, comfortable permanent vandwelling for one person, and a little small (but doable) for two. I do not need or want a generator, black tank, microwave, hot water heater, water tank, electric pump, RV heater permanently mounted propane tank, three way fridge or built in stove. If it was just me I would use solar power, pail toilet and pee bottle, gallon water jugs, camping stove, washbasin, and Mr Buddy heater.

please everybody put a description when you post a link.

the above video is 8:50 and it is Adventure Van Man giving a tour of his Van. highdesertranger

tx2sturgis said:
Ooops....well, it was for the OP but I'm not totally opposed to being a bigamist...

I'm not sure who the OP is-- but I shall toddle off and nurse my broken heart!   ;)
Thanks for brightening my day!

Thank you SeekingPeace for the information packed post.  Notes taken!

JamBandFan said:
A downside I hear many talk about with 5th Wheels is losing the storage of the pickup bed (and not being able to put a shell/cap on you truck bed).

There is room for a large toolbox in the bed, most 5th wheels have a lot of storage space. Buy an extra cab truck or crew cab and you will have that space too.

JamBandFan said:
Thank you SeekingPeace for the information packed post.  
You are most welcome.  I am going through the process again myself.  There are a lot of choices and the decisions seem big.  But I do find more and more that most decisions are not irreversible and many times it is taking the first step that leads us to the next, and the next.  I have great faith that you will make the right ones for your situation! 

Hope to see you on the road at some point!

JamBandFan said:
I drove a few RV dealerships today just to get a feel of the interior of all kinds of different RV's...small trailers, rpods, 5th wheels, trailers, pop ups, C's, B's.  I will buy used from private owner likely but dealer was a good place to get into a lot of stuff.   The T@B's and Aliners felt really small for full time.  The 5th wheels with slides felt huge!  Used Class C might be something for me to look closer at pulling a toad.  The trailers and 5th wheels all felt so cheaply built to me.

What brand of trailers/5th wheels did you look at (that felt cheaply built)?  what is a toad?

I’d do a van conversion.  It’s the cheapest to do and can be the most stelth. 

I’m probably about to throw a monkey wrench in.  You’re pretty young still, but you will be removing yourself from your job network.  I don’t know your financial situation or your skill set, but you will be running into additional costs with health insurance / health care.  You are at the age where things start falling apart.  If you were to decide to return to a normal lifestyle would you be able to or would your current skills require retraining?   Do you think that you would easily be able to find work at age 55?

Me - I’d think this through carefully.