What material to fill gap in exterior high top?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamsack

Reaction score
Hi all,<br>I was inspecting my van's high top before installing a couple of flexible solar panels.&nbsp; The surface of the high top is slightly curved, as expected.&nbsp; However, there is also about a 3" inch dip (square shape) towards the back of the high top (near the back doors).&nbsp; The square depression is about 2 feet x 2 feet.&nbsp; <br><br>If I install the panels as is, the panels would not lie completely flush against the high top and would have to curve upwards where the dip is, leaving a small gap between the panels and the high top.&nbsp; Additionally, with this square depression, I'm concerned that water may pool up here when it rains, either causing damage to the solar panels or wear away the adhesive from the panels.<br><br>Should I install something to raise the level of the high top (where the dip is) so the panels would lie flat?&nbsp; If so, what kind of material would be appropriate?&nbsp; I'm thinking that the material would need to be weather, sun, rain resistant.&nbsp; Would wood treated for exterior use be appropriate?&nbsp; Thanks everyone.<br><br>

Solar panels need a gap between the roof and panel for cooling... most mount using "L" brackets to vent heat... So this solves your problem of the curves just raise above them... All electronics to include solar need cooling/venting...<br>

@ SoulRaven,<br><br>Hi, if this was the case that all solar panels need venting, why would my solar panels have an adhesive backing?<br><br>By the way, just to clarify, the 2 feet dip in the high top is only in the back section of the van.&nbsp; The rest of the length of the high top is fairly flat.&nbsp; If I was to mount the solar panels as is, most of the length would be flush against the high top until it got to the back section, in which the panels would dip downwards at an angle for the last 2 feet section.&nbsp; I'm concerned that the exposed angled section (with the exposed adhesive backing) might pose a problem.&nbsp; Further, even though flexible, shouldn't all solar panels be mounted completely flat from from front to back and not angled at some sections?<br><br>

And your going to trust an adhesive tape to hold down your expensive investment of solar panels... And yes for all electronic devises to include solar panels, the cooler they run the better they perform... Thus a 1" gap is usually the min. gap to allow cooling...<br>

<p style="margin: 0px;">Those flexible panels are only about 12 inces wide (but 9 feet long), so if the dip is only 2 feet wide you should have room left for the two solar panels to lay beside it. Measure it and let us know. </p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">SoulRaven is right, hard panels should be raised on feet for ventialtion, but those felexible panels are designed to be safely mounted directly to the surface. My understanding is they are incredibly tough and will last forever. Bob</p>

Ooops My bad, missed the "Flexible" in the flexible solar panels... :^O<br>

Latest posts