What kind of fish do you like to catch & eat?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CautionToTheWind

Reaction score
I just finished eating some Walleye bought down by my brother from North Dakota. Northern Pike is a great fight! Last summer in North Dakota caught my first Big Mouth Bass.

Largest fish below is a Walleye.

Attachments

• fish.jpg
    fish.jpg
    73.2 KB
I've done a fair amount of salt water fishing, but in Baja, NJ and North Carolina and Australia.  I don't bother fishing IN California, though I present myself as bait quite often here.

I;ve caught perch and large mouth bass in lakes in Florida.  I was unimpressed with their fight, compared to blues or striped bass in NJ, or Barred surf perch, corvina, halibut and the roosterfish I caught in Baja.

I got spooled in Baja twice by fish unknown, but there was little chance of turning them around and my pole and line are a not so sporting 8 foot  surfcaster with 12Lb test. All surf fishing.

I've handlined Tuna and Trevally in Fiji, caught Wahoo and spanish Mackerel and Mahimahi In indonesia while trolling.

I miss fishing, but i live in Southern  California, and I do not see much point in pursuing it here, nor paying the license fees, or if pier fishing, standing shoulder to shoulder to those who would greedily kill a 4 inch fish.

My favorite eating fish were the Halibut I caught from shore in Baja, and the just legal sized striped bass in NJ, either surf or bay fishing.

I did get a grouper from a boat in Florida too, but was unsure its type or if it was legal, and it was So pretty I threm it back,   I did keep a few sea trout I caught in the gulf.  Pretty good eating.

Lures, not bait.  Bait fishing, no thanks.  If bait fishing, well i'd be just as happy with a baitless hook and plenty of beer.

Muskie and large Northern are fun to catch, especially on light tackle.  The bigger they are the worse they taste.  For eating I like cold water Walleye, Lake Superior Coho & Chinook Salmon and Steelhead.  Lake Superior smelt is like eating your bait.

Best eating I ever had was fresh brook trout out of a high mountain stream in Jasper NP.

-- Spiff

in the muddy valley rivers of oregon i can kill trout all day every day a couple different ways,good at steelhead but need to be during the run,river salmon fishing is way to crowded for me

then irony steps in,i dont like baked or fried red meat fish,deep smoked is the only way to go
what i like is the bottom ocean white meat rock fish and such,halibut being the top but a sea bass is fine with me

then irony steps in,i have been crazy 8 hour puke fest sea sick,so it's best to catch the fishermen coming in and buy a yelloweye off them

My favorite salt water is FLOUNDER . We use to fish nearly every afternoon after school in the Atchafalaya River we were after catfish but a lot of the time we would catch buffalo fish considered a trash fish. We decided to start to try and find a way to eat that so we baked it and that was the ticket. Has a lot of bones but they are so large that the meat comes out like steaks I got where I liked the buffalo fish more than catfish . IT was how we were fed. Garden had to be watered first then we had to pick the vegetables that was ready then we could go fishing. Homework who cares about that stuff back then school was not exactly the way to get by when I was young we lived in a boom town and the boom was oil. We thought it would never end but it did in the 80s and man did it ever end. That garden and fishing kept us alive.

Walleye, trout, perch and bullheads for eating. Walleyes and bass for the fight, bullheads are like anchors. Funniest thing on a menu was Smelt fillets. On the other hand there is nothing like Smoked whitefish from Michigan. I will make the drive up the coast of Huron just to find a shop selling it every time I am home.

I never really liked fish very much. So I've always caught them for someone ELSE to eat. :)

I never found a sea critter I didn't like. I'm not to good at catching fish, but I'm an expert at cleaning 'em and eating 'em. In fact part of my job is teaching other people how to clean, fillet and handle fish. I was a sushi chef for 20 years, so I've cleaned my share.

I've eaten some strange sea critters prepared every way you can imagine and some ways you can't. My favorite po-boy (hoagie or sub for you Yankees) is made with crisp and airy Leidenheimer french bread filled with fried soft shelled crabs, oysters or fried trout roe. I love raw sea urchin gonads, salmon roe with raw quail eggs and live spotted prawns loaded with roe, but raw tuna is my favorite. One of my favorite drinking foods is fermented squid liver - yum!

Chip

In days gone by , Tuna , Shark , Blues , Stripers and Lobbies.
Now , crab and mussels .

I'm really good at catching those cans of Tuna, then eating the contents. It's those packages of smoked Salmon that put up a fight. Worth it though. :p 
Reality sets in, I haven't been fishing in many a year. :(

grew up on perch, bass and catfish from muddy waters. now it's trout out of free stone stream wrapped in foil with lemon slices, butter, salt and pepper.

gsfish said:
SD,
      Do you take ink with your squid liver?

Guy
No, I'm trying to cut down. Here's a pic:
105dy7k.jpg

Chip

gsfish said:
This question might not be necessary here in the Gulf and lower Atlantic in a couple decades when the Lionfish have taken over. I haven't tried any yet but they are reported to be a quality eating fish. Will rarely bite a hook, spearfishing required.
https://lionfish.co/lionfish-facts/

Guy

I've eaten and served them raw as sashimi. They are a tasty fish as are other scorpionfish, like sculpin especially served live ikijimi sashi.

Here's a clip of live scorpionfish sashimi.

I've also eaten/served live lobster and shrimp sushi/sashimi. Live shrimp is my favorite - very sweet and aromatic. The heads are good either fried or in a soup.

Chip

Walleyes and Striped Bass, right now I can not give enough away, catching one every drop at less than 30 feet here at Lake Powell between dark and midnight. Early morning "boils" are fun to watch but crowds cause them to go down.