What kind of auto insurance do you carry?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganchan

Reaction score
I used to be with State Farm for years and years, basic insurance levels on little subcompact cars. I stopped that insurance a couple of years ago while I was living the car-free lifestyle, and now I need to think about re-insuring myself. I'll see if my old pals at State Farm offer any incentives for previous customers, but I'm also going to shop around. 

I keep getting promotional offers from Progressive, which strikes me very much as "McInsurance."  :dodgy:

Any general auto coverage advice, anecdotes, success stories, etc?

I have progressive, they were the only company I found that would insure my step van as an RV- all others that I approached insisted it have commercial insurance.
I was pleased to be able to tailor the coverage to fit my needs and insure it based on my costs to replace and a significant contents coverage, and they dropped my premium by $40. after a few months.
Full coverage was half what commercial liability only would have been.

I have never made a claim...so, hopefully that will continue and I'll never know for sure if they are a stand up company.

USAA -- dad was in the USAF. Rates cheap enough that I got full coverage with some extras, like towing and rental reimbursement

Leerev - did the same. Progressive includes towing insurance for a motorcycle while geico does not.

Just like health insurance, auto insurance is state regulated so experiences can vary widely with the same company. Also if allowed by your state, things like your credit and zip code, not just your driving record, will affect your rate as well.

That being said I also had State Farm for years then stopped it when I no longer had a car. Recently having purchased a van I looked at State Farm GEICO and progressive. Even though State Farm through me in a high risk group for not having auto insurance lately they were still less expensive than the other two. Yeah, no incentives for returning customers. I wish. I expect my insurance to keep going down every renewal for a while as long as I remain accident free. That's the up side.

I'm telling my age maybe but I got the best full coverage rate thru AARP /The Hartford and after my first full year the rate dropped by about 25%.

I notice no one posting numbers and I realize we all have different situations. I'm in Los Angeles, Expensive zip code! With that said, I have full coverage on a 2007 Ford E-150 that has commercial plates and a 2006 Chevy HHR, both cost me $248.00 a month and I had a minor fender bender last year in the Van. They dinged me a dew bucks a month for that.

I'm thinking that's not bad for full coverage on both oh and deductibles are I believe no more and possibly less than a grand.

that's State Farm, been with them about 40 years now.

I carry auto insurance through the Automobile Club of Southern California. My policy has 6 vehicles on it. My 2001 ford E350 Passenger van is $562 per year, full coverage with $500 deductable. My 40 foot Class "A" is $617 per year full coverage, with an agreed value of $100k, same $500 deductable. I live in a suburb of Los Angeles so definitely not the cheapest location for insurance.

All of my motorcycles are insured through Geico, they were by far the least expensive. Once you say "Newer Harley" many insurers freak out.

Gregg

Hmmm.... the Gecko could only offer me double what Flo did for my KLR650. That was $157 the first year. Gecko wanted over $300. Now, ten years later I am paying $76 a year for the bike.
For the two vans, minimum coverage, I pay about $500 per six months through the Gecko. I have $1,000 deductibles.

USAA insurance is and has been rated #1 in the country for as long as I can remember. All military/ex military are only eligible for this insurance but if you have ever served it is well worth looking into. I have a 97 mercury and an 83 step van that cost me 535 per year total. They are a life saver.

gramakittycat said:
I'm telling my age maybe but I got the best full coverage rate thru AARP /The Hartford and after my first full year the rate dropped by about 25%.

LOL...just means you are over 50, at least in my state. They started soliciting me when I wasn't "of age' yet. hehe

I've been with Erie Insurance forever because when I moved here I was able to keep a big liability policy cheaply where other places wanted an extra K for the same thing. I probably won't change insurance companies until down the road further since I have an established history with them and my credit has gotten banged up lately. Reading this thread has put calling my agent on my list just so I can get an idea what it would run for a van since I know the approximate make and model I want. If there's a way I can figure to get out of dodge to warmer climes by next winter I'm going to get on the road as soon as possible.

I began getting those pesky AARP mailings early too. Sent them back in their own post-paid envelopes and told them to stop. Their policies aren't to my liking.

karl said:
I have progressive, they were the only company I found that would insure my step van as an RV...

I'm at a loss as to how the same company (Progressive) would tell me today, flat out, no exceptions, that neither their commercial branch, personal branch, or RV branch have a product that would insure a brand new Ford Transit cargo van as anything other than a commercial policy. AND IF they ever found out there was any "Camping" done in the insured vehicle the policy would be terminated and if in an accident the owner of said vehicle would be up for insurance fraud.

ALSO, and this really blew me away after my ~1 hour phone call today, Progressive would also not insure a brand new van conversion from OutSideVan of Oregon, or any other van conversion shop. The (in my case) Ford Transit would have to come direct from the mainline (and approved listing) RV manufacture or it was to high a risk.

YMMV, well obviously at some point I guess it did!
Thom

Beats me...maybe they like Vermonters.....I just checked to make sure - other than the policy number, this is copied and pasted from Progressive site

Motorhome Policy - XXXXXXXX, VT

NGMI, Coverage from 11/10/2015 to 11/10/2016, Gold Rewards

No payment is due, paid in full
Get ID Cards and Documents
Quote or Make Changes to Drivers, Vehicles, Coverage, or Contact Info
$324.00 received 09/30/2015

State Farm. Liability, cause hey, it's a 20 y/o cheapy. Just personal use, leisure, $140 for 6 months coverage.

But I understand, these are 'homes' with lots of blood, sweat and tears (and $$$) put into them, for some. Maybe the insurance people will come up with a good solution soon, seeing how a lot of people are doing this alternative dwelling. Step up insurance peep's!!! *shakes little fist their way*

the Progressive rep stated each state can have variances... Here in Oregon it was a no-go.

Though I did get three quotes from S.F. on a T-250, T-350, and T-350 Aerocell. Each was at $50 +/- a couple bucks each month. This was full coverage and commercial insurance with personal use noted. Once I had the conversion finished I could take it to them and they would insure it as a personal vehicle as it is mainly our DD. The rep said the rates were very close.

Thom