Georgia insurance denials

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorelei072

Reaction score
Hi, dwellers. I just bought my van on Saturday & was dumbfounded to learn my USAA insurance refuses to cover conversion vans & RV conversions. So far I’ve contacted 4 other companies & they all said the same thing. Another was going to charge me $4k/year which is simply out of the question.

Is this normal? I’m starting to panic over what I’ve gotten myself in to ?

The van is a 1992 GMC Vandura with a 3rd-party conversion package. Insurance companies are only seeing that it left the GMC factory as “incomplete” 27 years ago. How can this be updated? It is inaccurate & hasn’t been for 27 years. It’s currently lavishly appointed with leather seating & seatbelts for 7, airbags, alarm system, ‘90s entertainment, & solar. I’m having 2nd thoughts over removing the seats & upholstery for an RV conversion ?

The other problem is these insurance companies are saying they don’t cover RV conversions. When I point out they offer insurance on RVs they still refuse to consider a policy.

I could understand the difficulties in underwriting collision coverage on our projects, but I keep insisting I only want liability. I paid $1300 for my 27-y.o. van. Collision coverage is unnecessary & wasteful. 

I am currently in the state of Georgia with both GA & FL driver’s licenses. I am near NC & TN if there are any advantages there. Are any of these better scenarios?

Thanks for any advice! ?

I believe it may not be legal to have more than one license, might want to check that out.

Exactly what does the TITLE say.... does it use the word conversion?

yeah how did you get 2 driver licenses? has this been converted by a conversion company or a private party? is this an RV or a passenger van with a TV top? all RV's start out as incomplete vehicles. how the person you bought it from insure it? highdesertranger

A lot of companies won't insure a DIY conversion--they are afraid you effed something up and will burn to a crisp, and they will get stuck with the bill.

Also a lot of companies wont insure as an RV unless it is titled as an RV.

As you bought it it is a passenger van. Get insurance on it as it is.  Its only an RV when you add black tank. I added a bed and storage, still a passenger van and insured as such. Take the van to the insurance place and show it to them as is.  just my opinion based on my experience in Michigan.

Bullfrog: I lost my Florida rental. My move to Georgia was reluctant & I have no domicile anywhere much less here. I’m using my mother’s address here for mail but taking in new members of her household stands to break her lease & cause her eviction.

I am not “legal” anywhere but I didn’t stop existing when I became homeless.

I don’t make enough money to sustain a rental & save money for “cushions” so I am embarking vanlife. I won’t be renting ever again, so no license I acquire will be “legal.” States require legitimate addresses & none are given with live-in vehicles. Also, the Georgia clerk did not take or alter my Florida license. She did say that it’s not valid in Georgia but the expiration printed on it is still a couple years away. Florida may or may not be aware of the change.

People do own houses in various states and travel between them, keeping one state as their domicile. Why shouldn’t I have that option? I lived in Florida for 16 years so I was well-established. Escapees has an RV Park & mail-forwarding service I could use. I’m close to TN & NC and may be able to find a similar service.

Not having insurance on my van is a substantially bigger concern to me than still having my Florida license. I can’t get it tagged & registered without proof of insurance. Not having a Georgia vehicle insured carries with it jail time. I doubt I’d go to jail for the Georgia clerk not taking my Florida license.

I don’t like this state or the town I’m in, but I landed a decent job here that’s working out. I’d like to move elsewhere at some point, so I won’t be destroying the Florida license unless it expires.

High desertranger: The Georgia clerk did not take or alter my Florida license.

The van was converted by a 3rd-party conversion company. The manufacturer’s doorjamb tag says “multi-use passenger vehicle.” It has a roof cap, entertainment system, solar, & seats 7. I’m not sure who the previous owner insured it with but I should have time to ask him today.

Lenny Flank: I hear fires are common in professionally-built RVs. I wasn’t aware that basic liability covered vehicle fires, though. Are you sure about that?

AFAIK, liability only covers damage to others property or medical. Comprehensive covers damage to your vehicle.

Escapees are full time and have a legal domicile. Two locations I know of are Florida and Texas. Insurance problems, IDK but if you are telling them you are living in the vehicle, it will have a bearing on them issuing coverage.

As of two years ago, State Farm would insure self-built conversions....with a few caveats.

It has to be legally certified as an RV in your state, and certain things have to be permanently installed and photos provided.

Check with a State Farm Agent. When/if they tell you 'No' or 'I don't know'...ask them to call the main State Farm office. 

They will know.

Insurance companies go by what the V.I.N # comes back as when they run it through the DMV. I would see if the DMV can change your title designation to passenger van instead of incomplete. . They may be able to do that with a simple inspection.
In Nevada my insurance carrier refused to insure my van unless it was an RV or passenger, (American Family Insurance) They did not want a cargo van as it could be used in a commercial application. The insurance agent had to take pictures of the interior with a bed and cabinets before the underwriter would approve it.

If you check with Escapees they may be able to help, give their offices a call.

yeah that's not an RV. when you talk to the insurance company just tell them it's a van and give them the VIN. highdesertranger

My van is a passenger van. Conversions I did in no way will affect performance or safety (no one travels in the back). I didn't inform insurance company of any alterations. None of their business. Van was insured as passenger van, not rv.

USAA did the same refusal thing to us on our conversion van 2 years ago. And that was while a nearly exact van sat in owned our drive and was currently insured by USAA for over 10 years. (10 year older GMC 3/4T vs Chevy 1/2T same equipment and both with the RIIA? Metal thing. Neither a real RV, no toilet or shower but sink& refrig)

Went round and round with USAA, they then said Progressive would insure and would get a 5% USAA affiliated discount. Transferred to Progressive after talking they refused as it was Not an RV in their world. -More talking to Progressive agent, finally transferred and that Progressive person did insure the conversion van. Oh, didn’t get any 5% or otherwise discount because of USAA.

Did check with some other companies and had an independent insurance agent check with various companies. Could have gotten coverage with some but they would only insure if other household vehicles were also transferred and bundled. Not done.