What kind of 2.5" bug is this????

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squid

Reaction score
This is a ___________________.

Attachments

• 810-1 bug.JPG
    810-1 bug.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 82
Looks like a Palo Verde. Harmless. Where is it?

ZoNiE said:
Looks like a Palo Verde. Harmless. Where is it?

It's my friend's, it's in Washington state.  She thought it was a cockroach but I told her that roaches have their longest legs as their back legs, and other than Washington DC you don't see 3" cockroaches.
Yes I think it's a weird beetle, sent to freak her out.

squid said:
... and other than Washington DC you don't see 3" cockroaches.
Yes I think it's a weird beetle, sent to freak her out.

You've obviously never been to Louisiana, were they get big, fly AND hiss at you.

Ha, speaking of no feelers (wrong!), I found this image which is supposedly a click beetle. You can see it has its feelers pulled underneath, and looking very carefully at OP's attachment, there does appear to be light-colored feelers along the side. It's always something. I guess they can pull them in when they're sleeping or whatnot.
https://www.ourbreathingplanet.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/12.png

squid Wrote:
... and other than Washington DC you don't see 3" cockroaches.

RowanFae said:
You've obviously never been to Louisiana, were they get big, fly AND hiss at you.

lol... in san diego i saw cockroaches lift a castiron manhole cover to get out. not just one or 2 but thousands pushing up under the manhole cover. first it started to rattle, we heard it then the roaches just poured out from under it. at 2 in the morning it was all i could do to not drop a duce in me britches. wish i had had a camcorder, was like straight out of a horror movie...

that was the worst thing i ever had to clean off the bottom of my boots

Looks like a longhorn beetle with the antenna folded under. We have them at my place in Bend Oregon. The larva bore into wood.

cool bug. no idea on type of beetle but thankfully bugs don't scare me. Now spiders!! Small spiders ok, but then some states grow those suckers very very big :)

One of my brothers who works on remote cell towers (and telecom elsewhere) says that daddy long-legs spiders prey on black widow spiders. Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pholcidae#Diet says "The legend may result from the fact that the daddy long-legs spider preys upon deadly venomous spiders, such as the redback, a member of the black widow genus Latrodectus."

squid said:
...and other than Washington DC you don't see 3" cockroaches.

Then you'll be surprised if you ever see a sewer roach!  I was in a motel in Apache Junction the first time I saw one.   It wasn't afraid of the light being turned on either.