What is this? (Citizen Band Radio]

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zizzer_Zazzer_Zuz

Reaction score
EOM

TYIA
d434ec206e608592cb11699cb678a027.jpg
5c156c5c96bf62e1b47338b3148c18fe.jpg
1c8d49ad6c84414827e50e6d62822aec.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Could be a CB antenna or a truckers omni directional cell antenna. That fitting looks a lot like the one that goes into my directional antenna.

That looks like a business band antenna, either VHF, UHF, or dual band.

And the mount where the 7/8" hole is, is called an NMO mount, typical in VHF and UHF business bands.

You can buy CB antennas that also use the NMO mount, so if you want to change that, you can.

You can also buy a plastic cap that will simply cover the NMO threads, or you can remove the fitting and install a plastic plug for that size hole.

Just so that I'm clear here ...

If I want to remove it I can get a plug to prevent leaks.

If I want a CB I can either replace the antenna with one with an antenna that matches the mount or one that will work with this antenna.

Any pitfalls traps or gotchas to look for?

My intent is to simply have a way to monitor traffic reports etc from the truckers. Yet another emergency comm channel is also good. Total investment I'm looking to make is maybe $50. $75 if I find a great deal for something newer/fancier/more bells and whistles.

looks like a CB antenna to me. any type of markings or numbers on it. highdesertranger

Most CB antennas will not have two loading coils. Most dual band and many mono-band business band antennas do.

Most bus operators would have used business band radios, which are usually on 150-174 mhz or 450-470 mhz. 

Yes, you can get a plug for the hole, or a cap for the threads.

If you want a CB, you will most likely need a proper 27mhz CB antenna, with NMO threads.

They are available on amazon and ebay, but you wont find them at most average CB shops.

You could also just mount a simple mirror mount CB 'trucker' style antenna on the mirror.

Zizzer_Zazzer_Zuz said:
EOM

TYIA
d434ec206e608592cb11699cb678a027.jpg
5c156c5c96bf62e1b47338b3148c18fe.jpg
1c8d49ad6c84414827e50e6d62822aec.jpg

Top photo appears to be a mini-UHF connector. If you plan to plug this cable into a CB radio, you'll need either an adapter to connect to a standard UHF/SO-239 on the back of the radio or cut that connector off so you can install a PL-259. The photo is a little blurry so just try connecting it to a regular CB radio to see if I'm right. If it's a mini-UHF, it will be too small to screw on to the radio connector.

As others have already mentioned, the mount is called an NMO and it is an industry standard. It is very sturdy and should give you good service.

The antenna in the bottom photo is likely a 450-470 MHz antenna (UHF band) and made especially to use on a fiberglass surface. You will have to do the same when you select a CB antenna for that mount. You will need to find a half-wave antenna because you have no ground plane under the antenna like a standard metal car body. Alternatively, you could acquire a very thin piece of sheet metal with a 3/4" hole to put under that antenna by removing the mount to re-install with the sheet metal acting like a very large washer. This would put a ground plane under the antenna and broaden your selection of antennas to install.

To me, it looks like the NMO base is in contact with the metal roof, but has a (fiberglass?) liner of some kind that also has a matching hole drilled in it.

Hard to tell.

And yeah the connector plug looks like it could be either one...a nice clear picture from the side with a quarter placed next to it will tell us what we are looking at.

highdesertranger said:
I only see one loading coil.  am I missing something.  highdesertranger

The coil at the base is barely visible but its there. On a VHF/UHF antenna, they are normally about 2 inches tall.

NMO is mounted directly to fiber.

Why is it never simple?

So really I need the right radio, some mojo with adaptanators OR scrap the whole shibang and get a new antenna and radio.

Is that about right?

Zizzer_Zazzer_Zuz said:
NMO is mounted directly to fiber.

Ok...well my bias led me to believe the NMO was touching metal, so thats what I saw..or tried to see. I've never seen one mounted to fiberglass...they aren't designed to work that way...but somehow it did. Maybe they used an antenna that is 'ground independent'...they do make them. Just not very common.

Yes, if you have a mirror with upper mirror arms you can mount a CB antenna there.....I would plug that hole...or just leave the antenna there, unused. It doesn't seem to be leaking.

lol

It looks like a center loaded cb radio antenna to me.
Seems to be a spring base, not a loading coil.
and it's a cheaply made PL259 coax connector on discount grade RG8 from the manufacturer of the antenna.
The antenna does not require mounting upon a metal base plate because it is center loaded.
Base loaded antennas perform better when upon a metal surface.
Center loaded is like the truckers use on their mirrors. In this case, a fiberglas surface that is non-conductive and does not function in operation of the antenna.
CB is good to have, sometimes... otherwise it's a 5 or 10 item at a yardsale. tops !
Best, wheels

Oh, if you only have a small hole the cable passed through... any hardware store sells pop-in chrome plated buttons for use in kitchen sink tops where someone does Not use the soap dispenser or whatever... put some silicone sealer on it and pop it in the hole for a mostly waterproof fix. wheels