What is the largest vehicle with Prius system of temperature management?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billyidol

Reaction score
I think the Toyota Highlander also has the Prius style hybrid temperature management system. I know that there is the hybrid minivan Chrysler Pacifica. I dont know much about that van.

I like the ability to keep warm or cool without a generator. That is amazing.

Anything else out there?

John

Wool sweaters and speedo swimming trunks LOL I don't look great in the latter. Some one will chime in with the knowledge.

Keeping cool or hot for any length of time when ambient temp difference is large still requires the engine running.

Just being automatic, efficient and *quiet* is what's so nice.

I'd love to see an APU package of everything but the car.

I'm toying with a trailer design where the car ramps up into the living space for towing. RAV4 for rougher territory.

To my knowledge, the Highlander is the largest Toyota vehicle with a hybrid system. I don't know if other manufacturers' hybrids offer the same climate control features. But, will watch this thread to see if others do.

For the same difference between ambient temperature and desired interior temperature, the Toyota Hybrid's gas engine runs much less for AC than it does for the heater. The reason is that the AC compressor is powered by the high voltage batteries and, therefore, the engine only needs to run when their state-of-charge falls below threshold. Whereas, the hybrid's heater uses the warmth from the gas engine and, therefore, the engine must keep running to keep making heat when it's really cold outside.

"Wool sweaters and speedo swimming trunks". why Adrian why, now I have that image in my head, I didn't need that. LOL. highdesertranger

Suanne said:
 Whereas, the hybrid's heater uses the warmth from the gas engine and, therefore, the engine must keep running to keep making heat when it's really cold outside.

You could use an inverter to power a small 200 watt space heater or electric blanket to circumvent that problem.

I don't own one so I can't be certain, but the Chrysler Pacifica has a hybrid version that probably would operate the climate control in a similar manner to the Prius.

Perhaps, but Toyota does hold a lot of major patents that make their overall system unique, so best to investigate, fact-check the details of other manufacturers.

Well, the Winnebago Travato just announced the 59KL which has lithium batteries with an autostart when the voltage drops.  It has 8700 watt hours with a 3600 watt pure sine inverter providing 30 amp power.  The auto starter is very similar to what is in a Prius and runs a 58 volt alternator which can recharge the battery in one hour.  The AC can be easily run from the power provided by the inverter.  The technology is very similar to what would be found in a Prius. 

But of course this is not a cheap vehicle so is probably not what you are asking about, but you did ask for a large vehicle which has a similar technology as the Prius.  

Of course they would have come out with this just after I bought my rig last year and put on an additional 100 watt panel.  Oh well.  Guess I'll just have to be satisfied with my AGMs, panels, and generator.  ....

Billyidol said:
I think the Toyota Highlander also has the Prius style hybrid temperature management system. I know that there is the hybrid minivan Chrysler Pacifica. I dont know much about that van.

I like the ability to keep warm or cool without a generator. That is amazing.

Anything else out there?

John

If you can wait a while, there are move vehicles in the works which will be using a PHEV (Plug In Hybrid Electric Vehicle) system as many companies either do not want to go full EV or they are waiting to see if the EV trend continues.  Ford has some hybrid trucks in the works, but I think those are going to be actual hybrid systems and not PHEV systems.  The difference is that PHEV systems will run the vehicle 100% on battery and the gas engine (or generator if you prefer) will kick on as needed to keep the batteries topped off.  Hybrid systems use both in tandem and generally the vehicle cannot run off of batteries alone.  

The new Chrysler Pacifica you are talking about does use the PHEV system and to my knowledge, at least in the U.S., that's the largest vehicle presently available.  You can also look at something like the Chevrolet Volt if you want to stay in something car sized and they are readily available at good prices used and Chevy has yet to replace a single battery pack in any of them.  There is also the Ford C-Max Energi which are available at decent prices used.  Toyota does make a new generation PHEV Prius (the Prime) as well.  But again, if you're looking for van sized, the Chrysler is the only one I'm aware of.  You may also want to look at the new Kia Niro as it is a boxy design and there is also a Hyundai version (the Kona) coming out.  I know Volvo has a version of the XC90 coming to market as a PHEV, there is also going to be a BMW X5, Audi, Mercedes, Mitsubishi, and Porsche also all have some kind of PHEV coming to market, but those aren't going to be cheap obviously.

PHEV is, in my opinion, going to be the direction most of these companies start going for the near term.  Many companies are a bit shy of going 100% electric, so the PHEV gives people the best of both worlds.  You get enough battery only power to cover most daily driving (I'm talking commuters here) and then you have the gas engine/generator as a backup to keep you going and it also allows the vehicles to get exceptional gas mileage.  The Niro gets upwards of 50mpg if I remember right as an example.

I have been working on a design of a unitized system that would integrate the heating, cooling, and power generation in a package that would use an engine large enough to be quiet. The only problem is it would be so expensive, it would only be viable for large, very high end (Newell, for example) Class A RV's, not to mention large and heavy. I've gone so far as to get info from an engine supplier overseas (would have to be from China).

Ideally, a Prius/Highlander hybrid system in a mini van type vehicle would be ideal for stealth dwelling. The cost of the system is reduced overall since it also provides the powertrain component of the vehicle. Think of a short WB high roof Transit with such a powertrain, or even better, that ugly promaster.

Not everyone wants to go far off paved roads.

I sure would like to see a detailed explanation of its electrical / hybrid system

Toyota has lots of patents in those areas, and not all EVs work the same way.

Specifically wrt helping keep a big heavily used external 12V bank recharged.