what is the best all in one inverters

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys, really!
I wish to be a 85% remote, non-urban, zero dollar paying, van dweller / vagabond. I'm not there yet, sadly.
Your input & ideas not only relates to what I ahve learned so far, but gives me visions & ideas.
- Based upon what I have heard, so far, there is no point in a dc to dc converter (& here i was thinking i was onto a good, & cheap, idea). Basically: Specific / specialty designed power supplies must be lighting your wicks.
- I tried making flame toast, over LP, and, well, I'm doing something wrong, as it was CRAP. I'd rather not add an appliance. So I'll follow your links, soon, and do what i can, without adding an 110Vac ele toaster.
- Toast (& eggs) at a breakfast diner, always feels like a let down. My life on the road has been so special, that going into to town, even for something special, feels weak, low, a contrivance. Does that make sense? shrugs.
- any toaster use would be for short periods. What, 3 mins? Once a day? Not worth carrying the hardware!
- My solar system is so weak that I didnt really consider AC power an option. But I'll go ahead and look into that further, opening my options up. Unused options are preffered over the ignorance that I currently am working under.

Spanks again. (i gotta get some sleep)

Flagler, We all make trade offs and they result in a new norm that many of us happily live with.

How I make toast in a skillet.....

We don't have a toaster. We have yet to find one that makes decent toast that doesn't cost over $50. Not worth it when you don't toast all that often. Too much of a specialty appliance. When we want toast, we make it in a skillet or on the flat thin aluminum griddle. The best toast that you can make in a skillet uses a cast-iron skillet. Using a thin regular skillet or griddle requires a slightly lower heat and a watchful eye.

To make dry toast with no butter or oil to grease it. Just put your bread into the heated skillet dry and let the heat toast the bread. Flipping to make sure it doesn't burn. I rarely make dry toast unless I'm sick.

I prefer to butter one side of the bread first which gives it a golden crust. This is sometimes called "Texas toast". Ever make a grilled cheese sandwich? Same thing just uses a single slice of bread and no cheese. Anyway, this is how we toast bread.

Heat a cast iron skillet or flat griddle over medium to medium-high heat. Add the bread. Keep an eye on it so you don't burn the bread.

Using tongs or a turner, flip your bread over when the underside is done and start toasting the other side. You should turn the bread regularly to make sure you're getting an even toast on both sides of the bread.

I like to make fried egg sandwiches with toast. In a hot 5" cast iron skillet, cook a couple slices of bacon until crispy, set aside on paper towels to drain and cool. Egg is cooked ""over easy" in bacon drippings (cook egg in hot drippings until the white is almost completely set, add a spoonful or two of water... depending on the size of the pan and quickly cover the skillet with a lid or saucer to trap the steam, wait about 1 minute, remove cover, drain out excess water). Break liquid yolk into buttered side of toast, spread the yolk and top with crumbled bacon. Place the egg on the bacon, top with a slice of toast buttered side on egg. That leaves a non-buttered side to hold onto so your hands aren't getting greasy.

dang compassrose you are making me hungry. I also make my toast on a skillet, it works good. they do make the camp toasters I have used those before they work ok, but I find a skillet easier. highdesertranger