What is best portable AC for a car?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuliaAnne2018

Reaction score
I have a dog and want to keep her cool. I will be with her most of the time because I am self-employed but don't want to leave my car running 24/7. I bought a solar panel and a portable generator but not sure what AC to get and I tried searching the forums.

Are there any for maybe less than $100 by chance?

The solar will not run an AC. The generator might if it is 2000 watts or larger, but where are you carrying that (and all the gas for it) in a car? You are going to burn through a couple gallons of gas in the genny - every day.

To answer your question, you can get a window mount AC unit at Walmart for around $100. Or less on Craigs List. But you still have the issues I noted above.

I won't be leaving for a while yet. At least not for two weeks. I also bought a 300w rechargeable generator. It can be 1 of 3 ways - the sun for which I got a solar panel, and AC or car battery port.

Sent from my RS500 using Tapatalk

Sounds like you have a lithium battery pack (300watt "generator")?

JuliaAnne2018 said:
I won't be leaving for a while yet. At least not for two weeks. I also bought a 300w rechargeable generator. It can be 1 of 3 ways - the sun for which I got a solar panel, and AC or car battery port.

I suspect you don't understand how complicated this really is...

Even the smallest commonly available air conditioner uses (after allowing for the waste of an AC inverter, which you can't avoid except with a generator) about 525-550 watts of electrical energy per hour, when it's working hard. That means, in 12 hours it's going to use about 6500 watts. A typical solar panel-- I don't know what size you have, but most are rated at 100 watts per hour under ideal conditions-- will produce no more than 1200 watts in those same 12 hours. Even worse, conditions are never ideal. For 2-3 hours, near noon on a perfect sunny day, you may get as much as 90 watts an hour. When the sun is lower in the sky nearer dawn and dusk, expect much less. In the real word, on a good day a 100 watt panel will produce something more like 600 watts, and even that's not accounting for periods of rain, etc. In order to frequently run an air conditioner under real-world conditions, most experienced users estimate (exact figures vary) about _12_ 100 watt panels. These would cover an area of about 86 square feet. The last time I priced out name-brand panels for such a setup, counting mounting hardware it was well over a grand.

But sadly, it's even worse than that. You'll also need a solar controller to make the panel array work; prices vary enormously on these with type and quality (and you get what you pay for, as a rule). Plus you'll need a battery bank. I have one large enough to (barely) run a tiny air conditioner about 8 hours, and even at that I'm discharging it a bit more than is wise. (The more you discharge a conventional lead-acid battery, the shorter its lifespan.) This battery bank cost me over $700, and weighs, with cabling and mounting hardware, probably about 500 pounds.

Before you leap into this... In the real world, you're simply not going to be able to have solar air-conditioning in _any_ car. No one can-- the necessary panels and batteries are much too large and weigh far too much. Your 300 watt device may be very useful, but it's meant for recharging phones and laptops, not powering serious loads like an air conditioner.

A gasoline generator could give you your air conditioning. But, they're noisy and create a highly toxic exhaust. Unless professionally (and expensively) mounted a generator can't even be safely run _near_ your car-- you have to use a long extension cord. They're also one of the most "stealable" items in the USA, especially the good ones, to the point that locks and chains and such often aren't enough to deter thieves-- they'll work hard and do really outrageous things if they have to in order to steal a generator. Plus, you'll burn a gallon or two of gas a day, every day, and have to do frequent oil changes and other maintenance on the generator.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but I'm being this way because telling you what you want to hear at this point would do you an enormous disservice. The 300 watt device you bought can help make your life easier, but will only do light-duty things like recharge cell phones and laptops, or maybe power an LED light or two at night. But things like hair dryers, hot plates and air conditioners... Not so much. For that you need serious, expensive, large, complicated and heavy hardware.

Yes. I bought it to run my laptops and fans.

I forgot about how much wattage an AC takes up. I did remember, however, researching about this now two months ago.

---->I checked how much wattage/voltage each device I want to run requires already...

I bought a 300 Watt generator for now because of a video I saw that said something about at least 100 Watts.

Anyway, someone on here mentioned Artic Air. I just bought that plus I have two homeade ACs I made back in June. And I have fans and may buy a car cover and also cover my windows and windshield with blankets.

I however regret ordering the Artic Air after seeing some of the reviews though.

Also...

I feel overwhelmed by the lengthy response you gave. Especially since on the way home I already was having anxiety about thunderstorms and anything else that could go wrong.

But I live in a location that probably has some of the mildest weather in the country.

I did research one time (because that's 50 percent of what I do for a living) on tornado touchdowns here, for instance. It's been decades since the city I live in has seen a real tornado.

The worst problem we have here is not hurricane, tornadoes or other disasters.

No, it's extreme heat and cold, and what I really need to do is have more conversations with the person from this forum who is from Canada because that person would understand.

I don't read messages that seem like an attack.

I would, but I don't care for people making assumptions about me before they even ask me questions to find out where exactly I'm at.

That's not to say you probably don't have valuable information to share, but please do not assume I just decided all of this yesterday. If you do, I'm not going to read your replies.

And...

This is something that's been on my mind for years but didn't believe it could be possible til I watched some of the CheapRVLiving videos.

I am experiencing a lot of anger right now because my number one pet peeve is being too quickly judged by people who don't know me that well especially strangers,

And I'm not even planning on doing much traveling yet. Just living one day at a time and steering clear of irritating people.

Julie

Update:

I read your psuedo apology in your last paragraph (but only skimmed through the rest because that's what I do when I feel attacked by a stranger. I don't have a clue who you are, so...why?!)

I don't expect people to tell me what I want to hear all the time, but there also is a such thing as common decency and respect. If you want people to take your advice, then you need to work on your delivery.

It is possible to teach people without being so harsh and making assumptions about them when you have no clue who they are, where they are from, and so on. It's just not right.

I leave you with that to ponder on and now I'm going to mute you,

She asked, I tried to help. Life goes on. <shrug>

It is frustrating that it is so easy to heat your car/van and so hard to use AC! Very disappointing! I am hoping to buy a cargo van in the spring, but I really want AC. I remember one of Bob-s friends used AC with a lot of solar.

I am not sure what size vehicle is needed for the nearly 1000 watts for solar-driven AC. Jim has it on his medium sized travel trailer. A full size van may not have the room for the size panels needed.

Some people love the Toyota Prius since it can have the car AC run at night..some do it but not all.

Running aircon off batteries only powered by solar is only possible in a big box truck, trailer or schoolbus and adding $3-5000 of gear.

Simply not enough room on the roof of a van.

Running aircon directly off solar in peak sun can be done with less, but then no power left to recharge the battery bank.

And we're talking hundreds of pounds of lead here, not anything portable.

What the marketing scammers call a solar generator is just a piddly little battery. I use the term "portable powerpak" for accuracy.

You need a **real generator** with an ICE that makes noise and burns fuel, to get aircon while your vehicle engine is turned off.

None of the above facts are intended as an attack on you, just helping you understand the limits of reality and physics.

If you want to learn exactly **how** to accomplish your goals

in topic areas where you have little hard knowledge, you need to start with a thicker skin and an acceptance of how little you currently know.

that is **if** you have the financial resources to accomplish those goals

Otherwise you need to adjust your goals to more realistically accommodate your more limited resources.

Best strategy for staying cool is not spend daytime in the van, and to keep relocating to locations where temps are cool.

Alas, you have many difficulties to face. Contrary to what most people think, the hardest part of living in a vehicle is keeping cool, not keeping warm. It's pretty easy to stay warm in a vehicle--it is virtually impossible to stay cool.

AC's use a massive amount of power. That usually requires either shore power or a generator. Generators use gasoline fuel, they make a lot of noise (they sound like a lawn mower), and they are not safe to run inside a vehicle.

Solar is doable--but it will cost you a LOT. Reliably running even the smallest of ACs will take enough solar panels to cover your entire roof, and enough battery bank to fill the inside of your vehicle. While there are some people here who have 1000-watt solar panel systems (which cost them several thousand bucks), it's just not practical for most people. It is a sad fact of vandwelling life that there really is no good, cheap, reliable way to stay cool in hot weather. If there were, all of us would gladly give up our left gonads to have it.

My method of dealing with hot weather is simple--I'm not in the van while it's hot. I spend the whole day in a library or mall or museum of whatever, and I don't go back to the van until evening when it's cooled off. You of course do not have that option because of the dog. Sadly, keeping as pet in the van makes everything a thousand times more difficult. Not only are hot temps inside the vehicle dangerous for the dog, but everyone knows this, and most states have laws against it, as well as allowing passersby to get the dog out of the unsafe conditions (by breaking the window if necessary).

Your solutions are limited, alas. You can get doggie daycare for the dog during the day. You can move to a cooler area. Or you can give up the dog.

RVTravel said:
I am not sure what size vehicle is needed for the nearly 1000 watts for solar-driven AC. Jim has it on his medium sized travel trailer. A full size van may not have the room for the size panels needed.

As an aside, it always amazes me how much solar power has advanced since I first started out three years ago. Back then, a 100w system was the standard, and if you were wealthy you had 200w or maybe even 300w. Today, with 300w single panels available, I see a lot of 300-600w systems, and some folks even have over 1000w. Back then, it was physically impossible to even have that much wattage on the roof. And meanwhile lithium batteries now allow one to have twice the battery bank at a fraction of the size and weight of AGMs. 

(On the other hand, I still get along just fine with my 100w, which does everything I need to do.)

JuliaAnne2018 said:
I don't read messages that seem like an attack.

Nobody is attacking you. There are lot of very experienced people here who are trying to help you. You should listen to all of them very carefully.

Reality is what it is. Reality is sometimes harsh. But reality does not go away. Ever.

lenny flank said:
Today, with 300w single panels available, I see a lot of 300-600w systems, and some folks even have over 1000w.
For running aircon off batteries any length of time, a kW is barely a starting point.

^^^^^ Yeah, verily. The smallest system I've ever heard about that was running an AC (and I don't know how many BTUs or for how long) was 800 watts, IIRC.

It's just not a doable option for most people.

That would need a super small efficient aircon model, likely fitted with a slow-start capacitor

and only run direct from the panels while sitting in full sun, not off battery storage

There is no cheap nor easy way to cool a vehicle or an RV. If there was, every manufacturer would be using it.

The cheapest way I know is to use a small window A/C (energy star) and a 1000-watt (or more) inverter generator, which is sitting outside of the vehicle.

The only problems... hauling gas every day and someone may just borrow your generator.