What I learned from the RTR

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Greetings to all my friends on the forum.

The 2016 RTR was my first, and after living in my Dodge High Top for a month, I learned a few things to help me with my current project, Starship Grumann Olson.   I learned that I want more than just a van.  I'm a big guy and need more room.   Creature comforts are also very nice.

Step van details:

Insulation is 1 1/2 inch Poly Iso all the way around.

I am installing a 32" X 32" one piece fiberglass shower stall fed by a 33 gallon water tank with a Suburban hot water heater.  The gray water tank is 17 gallons.  There will be no black water tank, as I don't want to deal with that.   I'm fine with my Porta Potti.

Heating is by a 19K BTU RV furnace fed by a 12 gallon under the vehicle propane tank.  Alternative heat is by Olympian Wave 6 heater, fed by the same tank and connected by quick connect propane connectors.    A Fantastic Vent will provide the ventilation.   It works great for acting like a whole house fan, and the open window will be at the head of my bed.

Cooking is by a 4 burner stove/oven combo and a range hood.  I'm tired of yanking out a propane stove and putting it away, only to have 1 burner.  A small microwave will be in the kitchen area as well.   Refrigerator is an ARB 50 Qt model.

The bed is a 9" memory foam mattress from the foam factory, but a full size mattress, not a twin like in the Dodge.   The bed will be mounted cross ways in the rear of the rig about 3 feet high, with under bed storage accessed from the rear by a hatch the same width as the step van.  The ceiling is 7 1/2 feet, so a high bed is not a problem and provides a larger "garage".

Solar is comprised of 4  120 watt Kyocera panels, for 480 watts of power, fed into 4 Trojan T-105 batteries.    The charge controller is a Morningstar TriStar 60.   Xantrex battery monitor and digital holding tank monitors are ready to install.

120VAC is supplied by a Xantrex 2,000 watt ProSine Inverter/battery charger with pass thru.   Backup power will be the trusty old Honda EU1000 generator.

I've also picked out a great spot for the 32 inch LED TV as well.

The roll up doors in the back are going away and a trunk hatch for access to the below the bed storage and a window by the bed will take its place.

A backup camera with a 10" TFT monitor has been purchased, along with a dash cam and Garmin GPS.

You are probably wondering why I'm building a Class A and not just buying one.   My answer is simple, I want a real truck, not an RV.  I get a Solid GMC/Grumman Olson vehicle with a Cummins 4BT non electronic manually injected diesel motor and a rock crusher 4 speed manual transmission that gets 17 MPG and not a gas sucking poorly constructed RV that has wasted space and a design that is forced on prospective buyers.   It won't have the power of a big diesel RV, but I'm not in a hurry, I'm retired!

Here is a pic of the solar that went in a few days ago.  I get to test the roof integrity this weekend as we are expecting several inches of rain.

I'm looking at paneling for the interior and a nice "knotty pine" has caught my eye.   More on that later.

In my off grid cabin, I used knotty cedar, and I get no bugs inside...

Sounds like an awesome rig.  Have any more pictures?

66788, You missed my pizza party. I was really disappointed.

Sounds like a great rig!  Looking forward to seeing it.   :)

At the RTR, I learned that you look nothing like your picture.
Your build sounds great. Mind if I employ a few of your ideas?
Would like to see more pictures.

cyndi said:
66788, You missed my pizza party. I was really disappointed.

I didn't find out about it till it was over.

Next time!   :D

PatsyG said:

At the RTR, I learned that you look nothing like your picture.
Your build sounds great.  Mind if I employ a few of your ideas?
Would like to see more pictures.

Hi PatsyG,   please feel free to use any of my ideas.   We share ideas and that's how we learn and improve our rigs.

As for me, yes I'm a bit different looking now.  I am heavier, older, and have a goatee.   :p

More pics to come as the work progresses.

The description sounds great.
Pics , pics , pics.......