What happens ?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moondancer5

Reaction score
When I can get rid of my little stuff and fit into my minivan, with nothing but small ss check, where would I go ?

Where have you wanted to go? Nothing tying you to a town/state when you are mobile.

that is kinda a question only you can really answer.

why are you down sizing to fit in a minivan?

if you have been forced into this move, i guess it may be time to explore and find ones self. everybody has different desires, camping, fishing, going to museums, sitting around doing nothing but watch the grass grow.

what interest you?
are their friends you have not seen in a while?
wander about and make new friends
join up with a caravan, get on some different "meet up" groups

lots of options but with out more info on what you like or want, kinda hard answer your question

Start researching locations that have interested you in the past, there is alot of BLM land that costs nothing to camp on. you can drive from stealth city location, to another spot for the next night.

Completely up to you (and your budget).

Had an 2001 Rodeo, too small, and terrible gas mileage. Sold it found 2003 Ford Windstar hopefully still has some miles left in it. Just got it. Have to go somewhere my house was damaged in 2017 and has been getting worse since then. i am retired, small ss check. Have a 16 yr old Yorkie. I am in central fl and its a long way to any blm land. Most of my friends and relatives died already. Will have to go within the next two or three months because of the damage advancing at my house. I am not ready yet, still trying to get to where my dog and I can fit into a minivan. just need to find a way to live on my ss check and chase 70 degrees. Any suggestions ?

chasing 70 degrees is not a bad idea.

if you are eligible, check into the different parks passes if you want to camp in campgrounds they can save you a bundle.

if you have not already, check to see if you are eligible for food stamps, a couple hundred towards food can stretch a small SS check quite a bit.

if you can car camp and boonedock. you can slowly and economically work your way towards those 70 degree areas and also head in the direction that can bring you to more free camping. i think new mexico has a parks pass that really saves on camping fees. washington state has a good deal with the $35 pass. back in the midwest look for army corps of engineer sites. some are cheap, others free. check out state wildlife areas i camped in many of those for free.

It depends on the weather. In your case if I was in Florida and the weather was not yet cold I might want to head north and explore some of the mountain areas in the states just to the north of you where there is a lot of camping and some forest as well. That will get your feet wet and you will meet other campers to talk to about what else is nearby that is very scenic and has great low cost camping.

What I am saying is you don't have to have your whole rout planned out before you head out. Just pick a half dozen potential campsites in one region and start living the life. That way you will know what you like and don't like about a campsite so you will be better prepared to pick the next half dozen potential spots.

It's not going to be bearable here in FL until October. Check out the FL Water Management camp sites for winters here. Research thoroughly as some require you to park your vehicle and walk in to the camping area. Most have no amenities, except maybe a port-o-john, but there are some nice sites, under trees. There are limitations to how long you can stay and you have to get on-line permits. Meanwhile, I second the notion of exploring out of state til the weather cools off. NE Georgia or the Smoky Mountains maybe?

maki2 said:
It depends on the weather..

good info there

when you do head out, always a good idea to have a couple potential spots lined up. sometimes when you get to the spot you thought was secluded, you find out everyone else beat you there. or when you get there you find it in accessible. couple years ago i was headed to an army corps of engineers site along the old miss. as i crested the levee about 2 miles from the site i was greeted with flood waters all the way to the dike... lol, time for plan be

Arizona is a decent area to live. Has winter\summer\fall&spring boondocking at reasonable temps.