What Happens When You Become Too Old?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A wheelchair lift van would come in handy , , especially if it were fully remote controlled.

In addition you should also consider a notarized DNR.
Definitely.  I knew a surgeon who actually had DNR tattooed on his chest.  :D   I have had DNR orders for years but, in a public place, it might be hard to enforce.  So, if any of you run across me unconscious and with no pulse, please just leave me alone.  Thank you!

I'm a resident of Arizona. I'm older, have severe health problems, and my driving has just been pretty much reduced.
Fortunately, I do have a S&B.
Several months ago our church sponsored a 5 WISHES (https://www.agingwithdignity.org) and there's one next week.

We were given a thin packet of material including a bright orange sheet with a DNR printed on it. I recently started to fill it out, then decided I wanted to make a copy first. I got really sick before I could, but had one written on white bond paper and taped to my entry door just in case.
Days later I couldn't breathe, and called the EMT's. They told me that even with that on the door, they couldn't follow my orders--
IT HAD TO BE ON THE ORANGE PAPER TO BE LEGAL in AZ.
So now I have a few from my docs. One required me to sign it, along with witness and doc signature before they'd let me take it, the other signed it after I did.
I carry one in my wallet and have one taped on my entry door.
My doc did say that if I were conscious and changed my mind with the EMYs there, I could verbally reject the DNR.
Consider looking into it--it says IN THE EVENT OF CARDIAC OR RESPIRATORY ARREST ...

Check your state regulations. And if one from one state is good in the one you're in at the moment.

Pension and SS. I have direct deposit, and bill pay for medicare and the other stuff. I told my girls, 'keep me going until the cash flow is negative, then pull the plug'. I plan to drive till I can't.

It is true that the DNR regulations are more stringent for EMTs but, then, we don't have to call them.

Ella1 said:
I'm a resident of Arizona. I'm older, have severe health problems, and my driving has just been pretty much reduced.
Fortunately, I do have a S&B.
Several months ago our church sponsored a 5 WISHES (https://www.agingwithdignity.org)  and there's one next week.

We were given a thin packet of material including a bright orange sheet with a DNR printed on it. I recently started to fill it out, then decided I wanted to make a copy first. I got really sick  before I could, but had one written on white bond paper and taped to my entry door just in case.  
Days later I couldn't breathe, and called the EMT's. They told me that even with that on the door, they couldn't follow my orders--
IT HAD TO BE ON THE ORANGE PAPER TO BE LEGAL in AZ.
So now I have a few from my docs. One required me to sign it, along with witness and doc signature before they'd let me take it, the other signed it after I did.
I carry one in my wallet and have one taped on my entry door.
My doc did say that if I were conscious and changed my mind with the EMYs there, I could verbally reject the DNR.
Consider looking into it--it says IN THE EVENT OF CARDIAC OR RESPIRATORY ARREST ...

Check your state regulations. And if one from one state is good in the one you're in at the moment.

editing to add, it also has a place for birth date, gender, race, eye/hair color, recent photo, Doctor's signature, witness, hospice program if any. This is from the state attorney general's office

most people up and die pretty quick,the odds of riding off in to the sun set are pretty slim,sudden heart attack/stroke seems to be the norm in my family so as long as i'm not driving at the time,all is good

mockturtle said:
So, if any of you run across me unconscious and with no pulse, please just leave me alone.  Thank you!

What, we can't prop you up and get one last selfie with you? :p

Regards
John

What, we can't prop you up and get one last selfie with you?
tongue.gif

Absolutely not!   :dodgy:

The following link provides the answer that I have been thinking about and provides some additional ideas that I hadn't thought about.  Unfortunately, being without a job and currently drawing down my retirement fund, I guess a life of travel may not be in the cards for me unless I can hit the lottery or something.  In any case, I hope you enjoy the info at the following link:

http://www.theprofessionalhobo.com/2012/06/financial-travel-tip-33-preparing-for-old-age/

Come and travel with me. we will hook a mini camper up to Joan and roll along. I don't have my own "Elders" so I am in the market to adopt.
Sort of a Co-VanLiving situation.

What the Front Door is with all of the rest of you?

Advice about how to die? What would this life be like if we would embrace our Elders and treat them with the respect they desire, as long as they desire it?
I know I don't want to spend my last frail years wondering.....
Just sayin'

WildTrappist said:
What the Front Door is with all of the rest of you?

Advice about how to die? What would this life be like if we would embrace our Elders and treat them with the respect they desire, as long as they desire it?
I know I don't want to spend my last frail years wondering.....
Just sayin'

Unrealistic.

Some day we will all catch the West bound train which is HOBO lingo for death. I for one cannot imagine any worse death then dying in bed. Rather to be killed by a jealous husband I say! My favorite quote is by Volaire. Death scratched my ear. Live, he said, I am coming. That pretty much sums it up for me...HoboJoe

I think most on this forum would fall into this category:

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

― Hunter S. Thompson, The Proud Highway: Saga of a Desperate Southern Gentleman, 1955-1967

:cool:

I think more people die regretting what they didn't do than people who regret what they did.

I don't know if it's an age thing or a physical change but some of us ( Me ) have had to make adjustments and concessions to our physical abilities more so than age. 

I am only 66 but my choice of occupations ( noone to blame but me) have taken a toll on my body. I had to give my truck camper to my kid and back up and re-group my abilities and what would suit my needs. And abilities.

June is my re-launch date, I put a deposit down on an older class C and then I am off.

Latest posts