What Happens When You Become Too Old?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

introverting

Reaction score
One question, among many, that I have about vandwelling is what does one do when they get too old to live the life any longer?

Lay on the side of the road. There is a crew that will collect you.

ccbreder said:
Lay on the side of the road. There is a crew that will collect you.

Good answer!!    :D    I wish I had thought of that...now I don't need to up my life ins.!        TJB

introverting said:
One question, among many, that I have about vandwelling is what does one do when they get too old to live the life any longer?

You could aways give your creaky old joints a break and trade your van in on a small moho with standing head room. We know people in their 80's who are still making their way - slowly - down the road.

We do not know anybody in their 80's with a truck and trailer, tho there must be some out there.  Hooking up even a small trailer gets harder and more dangerous with advancing codgerdom. But hooking up our small toad is a peice of cake.

Welcome to the tribe CRVL
Just keep going like Tioga George and maybe leave a note pinned on the visor saying who gets your rig before you go out to lay on the side of the road ! (That was a totally cool answer CC!)

Myself , I'm planning on letting my lizard blood transform me into my next incarnation and just keep enjoying the life , my new name will be RANGO !

introverting said:

Thanks for the question. Good one...

I think that you have to then find a place to "Set up home" and realize that you're not going to be driving so much and use a bus instead.

I remember I rented a single room (Shared bathrooms) and had access to a kitchen (Fridge in my room) all for $260 a month. Heat pump for the entire building, so no private a/c unit (But you probably could get a stand unit if the landlord doesn't have room electric meters) but the truth is, that the "Wanderings" we do, will cease.

Rural road crews often use a special florescent substance and just tweet the mile marker for next of kin.   :rolleyes:

Road Crew.jpg

Attachments

• Road Crew.jpg
    Road Crew.jpg
    51.1 KB
I've always figured that when I get to the stage where I can no longer, safely and confidently, travel with the freedom that I now enjoy, I will settle for two places, one for winter where it's warm and one for the summer where it's not too hot. If I can no longer transport myself, I either fly or get someone to provide transportation.

When that begins to fail...well, I can either lay down on the pavement (good answer CC) or take a long walk out in to the woods. The thought has crossed my mind though that it would have to be a short walk in to the woods because by the time I will be ready to quit I will no longer be capable of a long walk... :rolleyes:

If I die just stand me up beside the Jukebox!

throw your wallet and all your id away or hide it in your underwear, walk into the nearest emergency room, confused and lacking memory of anything, let them take care of you, they usually will find you a bed somewhere and three square a day, in these places you can usually sell used lottery tickets to those a little more confused, in order to buy fresh ones, and if you win then move out into some nice digs with a maid otherwise just stay there working the used lottery ticket scam.

One idea is to rent a room and then park your hightop van in the driveway. ... spending the majority of the time in there.

If I can't live life on my own terms then I want to die on my own terms. My son and daughter-in-law have direct and specific instructions on a special tea to help me with that if i can't do it on my own. As I age, I just don't want to be put in a cage just because I'm still breathing. I don't know what my terms will be as I get older but I tell you freedom is an important one for me. All I know for sure is when my quality is gone--there is no living life...there is just existing and that would be misery.

Gigi

I want to live long enough to be a problem for my children.   :rolleyes:

GotSmart said:
I want to live long enough to be a problem for my children.   :rolleyes:

I have this sneaking suspicion that they might consider you a success... :D

The older I get , the older old gets.........

Latest posts