What does amp this test tell me?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow...

lol.....and it still works?

They sure dont make them like they used to...

But this would explain the high power consumption.

If you have the budget for it, you could easily install a small Indel-B (truckfridge) in that opening. And that would run off a battery and solar system.

But it sure wont look vintage.

Ya .. I'm kind of want to use the vintage one if possible. It looks cool and works, so until it dies I'm going to keep it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cool fridge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the vintage look too. I gently suggest measuring the door skin and looking around for a swing compressor 12 volt unit. If you can find one that has a door opening similar. Re-skin the door with the vintage skin and keep the look, it is brilliant. I am not talking about swapping doors just the facade. Keeping it is going too be costly IMHO. It is pulling a ton of power, and will be making batteries, alternators, and all the electrical work like an elite athlete while driving. Parked with hookups, no problem as the insulation of that old baby is probably awesome. In the long run it is going to cost you more if you boondock or get caught without AC. I know that isn't what you want to hear and I would love to be able to tell you something different as I love that vintage look. But power was cheap back in those days and solar was just a dream.

Cool fridge. But you will have big problems operating it through an inverter with that battery. Your alternator will strain to keep that assembly operating. Danflos makes components to convert old "iceboxes" to 12 volt fridges.

that's one cool looking refer. however I would reconsider spending money just to make it work while driving. it appears rust is starting on the box and the door seal is probably leaking like a sieve. I know retro stuff looks cool and I love it, but with anything old and electrical I would try to find another solution. highdesertranger

Lw, you might think about a new 12v compressor fridge like the truckfridge but then you could apply some nice 'vintage' looking trim to the door...

Maybe a very light bamboo pattern vinyl wrap, a piece of luan, or contact paper, or something like a light background with a 'girly' looking pattern, say, pastel water colors or flowers or something that looks kinda 1965 vintage.

Contrasting but still vintage looking.

This might give you what you are looking for (visually) and still have the efficiency you are needing....

Thanks for the input. I think overall I'm leaning towards keeping it even if it means buying bags of ice while in transit. We used ice on my minivan conversion 12 volt power chill cooler whenever we boondocked.
I did put a water bottle in the freezer and it turned solid overnight. I'm wondering if 2 water bottles in the freezer and some extra insulation around this old girl would hold it while we drive.
The weird thing is that after I got this fridge someone gave me the same fridge (working condition) as a back up in case the compressor goes. So I have the backup fridge sitting in a storage locker.
I like the idea of the 12 volt conversion kit. I did see that somewhere online and I may look into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

could she just get a danfoss 12v fridge compressor and retrofit it?

if you happen to want to get rid of one post it in the trading post,i might be interested if the price is right

they make kits to build your own or retrofit. I know Engel makes them. but that's like putting a blown big block into a model T. highdesertranger

Gary68 said:
could she just get a danfoss 12v fridge compressor and retrofit it?

The problem with retrofitting is:
 - You will need a certified refrigeration tech to put the system together = $$
 - You will probably need to replace all the plumbing including the evaporator and condenser = more $$
 - You are still stuck with old and poor insulation.
It would probably be less expensive to get a new replacement frig.

I would love to try fitting that door to a newer refrigerator.

-- Spiff

Sorry HDR, I couldn't resist.  I gots a real warped sense of humor.

They do retrofit those doors to new fridges all the time. Vintage trailer buffs can help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With those numbers it looks like the compressor ran continuously for the entire time.

that's one of them, there are others out there. West Marine is usually kinda expensive. highdesertranger