What do you typically forget on your "checklist" before you drive off?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morkani

Reaction score
I have a couple doors I almost always forget, I put what I thought was a better latch on one, but it's just as easy to forget lol.

Oh, and this morning, I had the keys in the ignition (didn't turn them tho) when I realized I needed to disconnect power. I know how I missed that though...I thought I read somewhere that you have to shut off major appliances like the AC before you disconnect from shore power. I know it said that for the generator but wasn't sure about shore.
In any case YIKES!

You?

Hand sanitizer on the hood, haven’t taken the time to add it to the list nor get used to having to use it when traveling!

Any single item I set on the roof of my van... :rolleyes:  The only time I don't drive off, is if it's the keys. Lol

I've run over my step four times. Or, more exactly, I ran over four steps one time each. One time I drove off without running over it, and it was there when I went back for it. A second time I drove off without it I was a couple of hundred miles away when I realized my mistake. I didn't go back for it.

Otherwise, there's not much I take out of the van when I camp. The step, sometimes a chair. Once in a while an awning.

Oh, and there was the time I drove 25 miles down the interstate with the solar panel still tilted up. No damage, except to my ego.

A couple weeks ago I had my canes leaning against the side of the van. I had to move the van unexpectedly and of course forgot the canes. I rememberEd them when I backed into the space upon return and ran over them. It’s wonderful to get old. You can even Hide Your own Easter eggs.

I know God won’t forget the bless the nomad everyone of us.

MrNoodly said:
I've run over my step four times. Or, more exactly, I ran over four steps one time each. One time I drove off without running over it, and it was there when I went back for it. A second time I drove off without it I was a couple of hundred miles away when I realized my mistake. I didn't go back for it.

Otherwise, there's not much I take out of the van when I camp. The step, sometimes a chair. Once in a while an awning.

Oh, and there was the time I drove 25 miles down the interstate with the solar panel still tilted up. No damage, except to my ego.

lol that solar panel mistake made me remember I forgot once already to lock the stow compartment for my hoses & electrical cord.

travelaround said:
That's why I keep a bag with masks and gloves in the van.
Otherwise I would be running around without...

Attachments

• mask1.jpg
    mask1.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 88
I keep masks and hand sanitizer in my rig, too.

A walk around as a last task is good, tho it didn’t save me yesterday when I had forgotten to put the sewer cap back on after dumping.

I couldn’t see it, and so ran over it.

Note to self: put back on immediately after finishing dumping.

Our biggest mistake is forgetting to make sure the refrigerator door is locked. It looks like it's closed correctly but it has to be pushed until the latch clicks. Luckily most of the stuff doesn't fly out so we've never had much of mess.

Forgetting about the TV antenna comes next but we've learned to leave the remote sitting in a conspicuous spot. It get puts away before we start driving but only after checking that the antenna is down.

I thought the purpose of a check was to prevent “forgetting” something!

Here’s what I do- it has NEVER failed me:

1) Complete checklist items
2) Start vehicle engine; warm up
3) While warming, do a GOAL (get out and look); do a complete walk around
4) Blow Dodge

Always be aware of the need to modify your check lists to make them more complete and accurate.

Just my opinion . . .

When I stop I attach ribbons to my steering wheel to remind me of things to check:  latch refrigerator, stow cell antenna, pick up leveling blocks, etc.  After I have driven off of and picked up my leveling blocks I do a complete walk through my campsite.  I haven't left anything in a few years.

I am on my fourth wife. i hope the others are doing well and found a ride.

I've driven away with the folding steps attached more than once, and there seems to always be one cabinet I forget to latch.

Firebuild said:
...and there seems to always be one cabinet I forget to latch.

I have put these marine latches on cabinets and drawers that latch themselves as you close them.

There are no pulls and handles on the doors, just a hole you put your finger in and  un-latch/pull.

They are called elbow latches and they are cheap on Amazon.

When I lived on a boat, that's what was on every cabinet and drawer. Never failed.
Their weight  is about 1/4 of the regular hardware. They are spring-loaded, in case you wonder.
IMG_20200914_155532 (2).jpgLATCH.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200914_155532 (2).jpg
    IMG_20200914_155532 (2).jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 10
  • LATCH.jpg
    LATCH.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 6