what do you think of THIS solar system?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rvpopeye said:
Maybe the genny should be at the top ?????

:) but they're so LOUD and rude to neighbors :( Gotta be at the bottom of my list. but it IS on the list. thanks for the thought though. I'll work harder on limiting my usage first.

rvpopeye said:
Maybe the genny should be at the top ?????

I don't think so.  I' m thinking I may need/want a small genny.  But I can buy one anywhere, once I've definitely established the need.  And unlike the solar panels and such, there's no real construction involved (which I'm planning to have finished before I leave the mothership).

I plan to have a hard wired marine battery charger and shorepower connection port, so I would just have to plug the genny into that if I decide to get one.

So a genny is a fairly simple add-on down the road.

Regards
John

that sounds right to me. So what are you building? Stealth? Commercial looking? Van?

CptMan said:
that sounds right to me. So what are you building? Stealth? Commercial looking? Van?

Stealth is only necessary if you are trying to live on city streets.  You'd have to put a gun to my head to get me to live in a city.  Anyway, I just retired, so I never have to work again.  Hence my new description of myself as "shiftless and unemployed".  Eventually to describe myself as "out of work and living in my vehicle", God willing . . .

I'm planning to convert a 7 X 20 cargo trailer to serve as a base camp, and pull it around the country with a 4x4 pickup that I can use to get around the back country.

BTW, I saw your post about your own CT.  If you're not aware of it, the Teardrops N Tiny Travel Trailers forum has a VERY active sub-forum devoted to Cargo Trailer Conversions.  LOTS of good info and wonderful examples of what other people have done.

Regards
John

Thanks John. TNTTT looks awesome. If you're going to the RTR next year, look me up. I'll be driving the white van pulling a cargo-trailer with too much solar on the roof. LOL
But seriously, would love to meet some of you folks in person. Trade stories, etc.

Considering we had what looks like it will fit on your trailer last year, and what you were considering is what we are using this year, I can tell you just how much you will have to cut back.

Last year I woke up and made a pot of coffee in the auto drip, made at least one more when honey gets up. We use it again later in the day when we do dishes. The TV/SAT keeps the dogs quiet so it runs from mid morning till bedtime. We use the microwave several times a day, the longest being 10 min for potatoes. Honey likes to use the hair dryer and I think a few times it's been used to warm up the tiny bathroom. We have carpet and the dog drag in stuff so we use a hand vac every few days. Add to that the normal exhaust fans, lighting the trailer from end to end as well as the porch, running the furnace every night as well as the rest of the draws created by the trailer. We had 490w, 345 Ah of battery and are use to sunny mornings and cloudy afternoons.

This year we will have 750w and that will run the small A/C straight from the panels. Yesterday I stuck it in the window here at the house and ran it from 10 am to 3 pm while the battery was in float. It's not that hot up there often so it will also run a 400w heater for the bath, a 600w hot plate for cooking or even the 120v side of the fridge. The batteries are in float unless we run something big like the microwave and then they recover pretty quick. Overnight we run the furnace, the lights and TV till bed time so we barely touch the bank.

We generally don't camp in extended bad weather but if we did, the bank will carry us a week sans the big loads. The array will pull 20a out of overcast conditions so conservatively we could probably go on forever. Life is rough when you have to heat the water on the stove and pour it thru the auto drip basket yourself. lol

hey, gotsmart, it is really good to believe in the product you are selling, but you started to sound like a pushy car sales man, buy mine buy mine :) :)

ccbreder said:
hey, gotsmart, it is really good to believe in the product you are selling, but you started to sound like a pushy car sales man, buy mine buy mine :) :)

Re read my posts.  I am saying to look and ask.   That is a resource to gather information.  I do not make anything off of this site.  Zero, Zilch, NADA.  

I am working on selling to utilities, corporations, and government entities.   I would not make enough on that RV system to buy a tank of gas.  The money is in solar fields, not RV systems.   :idea:  There is more money in installing solar systems than  selling them.  But that I usually do for free, or parts only. :D

I have to admit that recently it does seem like it's become Renogy's CheapRvliving.com.

Just remember that Renogy, Windynation and Eco-worthy all sell pretty much the same line up, for similar prices and generally free shipping. Personally I prefer craigslist but you really have to know what you are doing to do that.

jimindenver said:
I have to admit that recently it does seem like it's become Renogy's CheapRvliving.com.

Just remember that Renogy, Windynation and Eco-worthy all sell pretty much the same line up, for similar prices  and generally free shipping. Personally I prefer craigslist but you really have to know what you are doing to do that.

So maybe the solution is to have a 'vendor' section and actually invite the other major players to have a presence here if they wish.

Another forum I frequent has just that - all the major suppliers have a mini section and can announce new product releases, answer tech questions and receive accolades for their superior products and customer service (and the occasional complaint) - all confined to one area of the board. It actually works really well and has provided us with a wealth of information that we would either never find or would have to search for really hard on the web.

Here, the solar is probably the only one that would be viable..obviously the Big 3 auto manufacturers aren't about to want a section here!

Buy from who you feel most comfortable.  It really bothers me when a company puts together a flashy kit, and prices it to where they make an obscene profit. 

I want people to do their homework, and not buy the most expensive because expensive must be good.

Jimindenver is 100% correct.  Renogy is not the only company out there with a decent product. and price. Look at the details, and understand what the science is about.  

Unless we stop burning all this fossil fuel, we will keep speeding up the proverbial fan.

Since I started this post, On Bob's web site, I'd like to put in my two cents worth. ... Lots of GREAT advice, (thank you), Some company names suggested, (hmmmm not impressed), a WHOLE lot of great conversation, (much appreciated). It turns out i've decided to buy separate components and build MY system as a "one off".
I am behind schedule to be 100% finished before I leave in November, but I'll have the winter off to work while in AZ. If ANY of you are around, I'd welcome you to "pick at" my set-up in person. :) All of your experience and knowledge would be a win-fall for a schmuck like me.

rvpopeye said:
Panels do have a long lifespan (mine is 14 yrs old and still going strong), just put 'em in the sun and hook up a meter before you pay.
AND remember to keep a portable panel covered while attaching the wires to your installed system ,,,unless it's already dark out !!

Or just add the fuse into the line as the last step....