What do you do with your dog when you have to go shopping for food?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
slow2day said:
More and more you see them in Wal-marts and most WMs have grocery sections.

I've seen dogs riding in the carts as people shopped. Lots of abuse of the 'service/comfort animal' ploy.
For the first time ever I recently saw a Walmart greeter tell a lady that her dog was not allowed in the store. This was in Hinesville, GA, I believe. The sign is on the door of every Walmart that I've been in that pets are not allowed, only service animals, but it a surprise to see it enforced (which I feel is as it should be.) The lady was riding one of the electric carts and had a smallish dog in the basket.

I invested in a MarCELL Pro for the hot season this year. I have a few animals inside and have fears of ‘what if the power goes out or the a/c fails’. It will call me if either the power goes out or the RV reaches a user specified maximum or minimum temp.
You can pay annually (cheaper) or monthly, and it has its own SIM card so no internet or wifi required, I don’t have internet at home. Of course, you do need to be where there is cellular signal.

https://www.marcellpro.com/

I normally do grocery pickup from Walmart or various other stores so I don't have to go inside but when I can't I'm fortunate enough to have remote start on my van which will run for 10 minutes. I'll set a stopwatch on my phone when I do it. You can do it twice for two 10 minute cycles total so when I get to the 10 minutes if I'm not done shopping I will walk to the door and restart it again. My cat loves it.

Texas0322. That must work great but the only problem with it is do gooders Who think it’s their responsibility to make and enforce laws. I know the cat is safe, you know the cat is safe, but some idiots Love to stir up problems. It makes them feel superior.

Did anyone mention putting a bandana scarf around the dog's neck and calling it your service animal?

I've seen dogs adorned thusly entering stores in Pahrump. No fancy vest announcing "service animal".

So for those of you who are SINGLE and have pets, how do you handle it when you go grocery shopping? What do you do with the dog? Especially on aa hot day?

Even a few minutes in a hot auto can kill an animal here in Phoenix. I would never leave her in the car around here, but even on a nice summer day in a "cooler climate' the car temperatures can reach temps 30 degrees above what they are outside.

I don't have an a/c that I can run, on my portable power station, but I'm thinking that might be the only solution...to buy a small A/C unit and keep it on when I have to run into the grocery store for 5 minutes.

Or, wait...I have seen grocery stores here in AZ where you can pick up food if you order it online They do the shopping for you. Do they do that all over now? if they do, that will solve all my problems. I'm happy to pay a little more to avoid keeping my dog in a hot car.

Thank God...ok, problem solved. Whew!

Nevermind....
When you're in the meat section, keep the dog on a VERY short leash. :)

If it's hot, I leave the vehicle running w the AC on. He's restrained in the back can't get into the front seats. Just lays down and hangs out. The rear has a heavy tint so no one can even see him. When it's nice, I just crack the windows plenty and he's fine. This is the South. He's only one of a dozen doggy's hanging out in the lot.

Cheers!

I had a large chocolate lab but he was a good dog. I'd leave all the windows rolled down and a big bowl of water. Sometimes I'd come back and find a crowd of people playing with him. But as long as the windows were rolled down everything was all right.

When he got older he started jumping out the car and he'd follow me into the store or homes where I was doing service calls. I had to leash him in the car and then he'd bark because he couldn't stick his head out the window and get attention from people.

Finally I gave him to my sister who had a farm with a bunch of animals. He lived out his days there and I decided that van living wasn't very pet friendly.

I would remind people its not legal to leave a vehicle running and unattended in some states, nor is it safe, as in, a good way to get your vehicle stolen. Youd basically be giving it away for free, keys included, with only the breaking of a window or slim jim the door lock to gain entry.

I snowbird to follow mild weather. I make reprovisioning runs in hours when it is comfortable for dog to stay in the van. The roof vent is thermostatically controlled, which helps regulate temps.

Common sense... I know it's not so common any more, but, really..... park in the shade with windows rolled down a little, go shopping after dark with windows cracked. Oh, and if your walking - pick your foot up before you trip over the curb.

Dont have a dog now, but when I did I'd park the van in the shade someplace nearby, crack the windows and leave her a bowl of water.
There was a whole thing a while ago of people 'rescuing' dogs that were 'trapped' in hot vehicles. I think there was an incident where some person's dog expired in the heat. So a bunch of well meaning but short sighted people started doing this dumb thing where they break the window to get the dog out.
I was less worried about broken window than my dog attacking a stranger coming in after a window was broken.
So I started restraining her in the back where you couldn't see her.
Which she hated.
But I always limited my time in stores. I mostly only ever did this when there was no other practical option. The rest of the time I'd drop her off with some friends who had dogs to play with or something.

Dont have a dog now, but when I did I'd park the van in the shade someplace nearby, crack the windows and leave her a bowl of water.
There was a whole thing a while ago of people 'rescuing' dogs that were 'trapped' in hot vehicles. I think there was an incident where some person's dog expired in the heat. So a bunch of well meaning but short sighted people started doing this dumb thing where they break the window to get the dog out.
I was less worried about broken window than my dog attacking a stranger coming in after a window was broken.
So I started restraining her in the back where you couldn't see her.
Which she hated.
But I always limited my time in stores. I mostly only ever did this when there was no other practical option. The rest of the time I'd drop her off with some friends who had dogs to play with or something.

There wasnt "an incident", theres regularly dozens (59 was the actual number mentioned) to hundreds each year, depending on the source. Heck, theres a couple dozen children that die yearly from being left in hot vehicles. The stupidity never seems to end.

I for one would happily use my framing hammer to open a car with a dog or kid left inside that was obviously in heat distress, and theres a number of needed rescues regularly, but yes, theres also well meaning but not very observant people breaking into cars when its not an actual problem.

All of this, as well as having been reported in Montana once with dogs in the suburban (the officer checked with a heat probe and said there wasnt a problem, but also said it was felony animal cruelty if a dog died in a hot vehicle and it wasnt legal to leave a vehicle running if unoccupied by humans) is why I installed the window AC and generator in my 4runner for summer. End of problem.

Last edited:
I've seen many dogs in grocery stores in southern Nevada, from small dogs in purses, to big ones on leashes. No one seems to mind, also there are signs all over that it's illegal to abandon pets. Who would leave any pet or child in a car with 115 temp outside?

I left my dog in her front seat kennel, I would put up the front windshield reflects and plug in the 12v and put that on her as well. I also had a 2nd USB fan on top of her kennel that would run as well. I would NEVER use this set up to go into a full size grocery store only a small ma & pa store or dollar general style store. much less foot traffic and less chance of getting stuck in there for longer time.

I also thought of putting a business card with my phone number in the window for those who were concerned to call... I mean in the rare chance that something was wrong they could at least alert me to something even if I had to abandon my cart in line to deal with a non-issue at least there be less chance of a broken window or having a talk with police due to a concerned citizen over-reacting. I never did that, but thought about it..

Plus I limited my shopping trips to late afternoons, I did a few early morning trips but that gave me much anixity because the temp would always be going higher... parking in the shade was a must and when planning shopping trips I accounted for parking spaces placement. Dollar general usually had shade from the building that was a major benefit and I could go there OR Family dollar based on which one had a better parking lot layout that was better positioned to have more shade.

Walmart pickup was also nice, I would deffently depend on them more for my staples, and then at least run in for bakery, produce, items only so I can pick the best stuff. That is if I was a bit more organized. It required much more planning and scheduling but with the pandemic winding down I would think less people are requiring the service so more people are willing to go in store, that or they are staffing more to account for the demand better.

Also in a pinch having your pet up to date on shots so then you can utilize a doggie daycare facility to allow you to shop worry free is a great benefit. Espically during a heatwave having funds for doggie daycare I think is a MUST. I don't think it's something you should or would do each week but having it as an option in a pinch is helpful. Plus there are dog sitting apps that function for dog sitting as Uber does for taxi services.

With reviews and feedback from previous customers such services can help you get a dependable service when your new to the area..

Did anyone mention putting a bandana scarf around the dog's neck and calling it your service animal?

I've seen dogs adorned thusly entering stores in Pahrump. No fancy vest announcing "service animal".

I know shopping with pets is a problem, however, calling a dog a service dog when it isn't is illegal no matter who's doing it, or how many are doing it, or how big or small the critter is, and I hope you all get called on it and asked to leave. Your dog can/does endanger those WITH service animals.
Perhaps someone at camp can take care of the pet for a few hours (maybe while you do some shopping for them?)
Stores offering pick-ups are a godsend, and a lot of stores are doing it.

Last summer my wife and I were out and decided we needed some things in Walmart. As we were in the same town as the Walmart and it's a 40-mile round trip from our house we decided not to go home and drop the dog off first. It was about 7pm when I pulled into the parking lot and the sun was going down. Even so, I parked in the shade of the store. We rolled the windows down about an inch and a half and started to get out. Our dog is a Chihuahua and she weighs about 5 pounds. She hates being left alone, so she started barking. A lady two cars over said, "Sir! You're NOT leaving that dog in the car are you?????" When I said I was, she screamed that the dog would die in the heat." I pointed out that I was in the shade, the windows were open and it was just 80 degrees out, but she didn't calm down at all, and informed me that she called the police. I went into the store but stayed just inside the entryway to watch her. She sat there in her car for another five minutes and then left. Knowing that she had likely actually called the cops, I went back to my truck and waited for my wife, who returned about 5 minutes later. I decided I needed to visit the restroom so I went back in the store. When I got back my wife told me that the police did indeed drive by, but she saw them coming and pretended to be asleep. The cop stopped off a hundred feet or so away and watched for a few minutes and then just left.
The dog was never in any danger... I had checked the temperature in the truck, which was 84 a couple of minutes after I parked there.

I've seen many dogs in grocery stores in southern Nevada, from small dogs in purses, to big ones on leashes. No one seems to mind, also there are signs all over that it's illegal to abandon pets. Who would leave any pet or child in a car with 115 temp outside?
It doesnt take 115 degrees outside temp to reach fatal levels inside a vehicle. It also doesnt take long to reach dangerous levels. Parking in the shade can help as does leaving windows open some, and windshield reflectors, but none of that eliminates the potential to reach fatal temps.

Having a temp sensor that notifies you of temps reaching certain levels is probably the safest way to leave a dog in a vehicle., or just never doing it over a certain level. My cutoff point is 65 degrees unless I have the window AC going. A stiff breeze can help that cutoff point, but you also never know when that breeze can let up. I also always park with the rear of the vehicle towards the sun to minimize the effect of the windshield, regardless of if theres a reflector.

"Last summer my wife and I were out and decided we needed some things in Walmart. As we were in the same town as the Walmart and it's a 40-mile round trip from our house we decided not to go home and drop the dog off first. ..."

So, two of you. One stays with critter, other shops. Next time, the other one stays with pet, while the other shops. Easy-peasy.

If you have a well behaved dog just register it as a service dog so you can take it anywhere.

I have a remote start for my car so I can run the AC and monitor inside temp if I have animals in the car. Which I don't. :censored:

• Angry
Reactions: D'L