What do you do with idle time?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll take the question off in another direction, sort of anyway. Filling time in with things to do isn't as effective as timing your activities. So as an example, I had a normal schedule before I lived in a vehicle sleep cycle/work cycle/free time were all common to most other people. That didn't work so well living out on the road. Particularly after 5 PM time would drag on with nothing to do. Once I changed the schedule to go to sleep early it was normal for me to wake much earlier like at the crack of dawn. Ah, nothing like daylight to broaden your options! As a result, I hiked a whole lot more and lost 6 inches off my waist within a few months.

Regarding what I spent time on. 1) Keeping organized and keeping things clean 2) Thinking about and trying new ways to improve my rig and increase the efficiencies of daily tasks 3) meeting other people I previously did not know 4) reading 5) hiking 6) photography and uploading pics to Instagram. There's also a lot you can do if you stay in an area for long periods like volunteer at organizations. Just don't let yourself become too much of a hermit out there. BTW, I met a lot of people through my Instagram account plus the travel to a bunch of NPs got a lot of hits for the account. It also took a lot of time to get somewhere to take pictures, sort out the pics, post the pics, and keep up with others on Instagram.

highdesertranger said:
I love crossword puzzles . . .

rm.w/aview said:
^^The paper doesn't stand up to my heavy erasure use, but if I change the clues I can make my words fit ;)

I find creative spelling works best  :p

So, this observation is one I realized a few years ago.

I realized that (at that time I was in my mid 30s) I do not have enough time in the rest of my life to do everything I'm interested in.

I know that may sound kind of morbid, but it really isn't, and the realization was really a positive thing. My hobbies should be just that, hobbies. Things I enjoy. Even if I spent the rest of my life listening to or reading every book I'm interested in, there is still not enough time for that. If I spent the rest of my free time doing any of my hobbies, I still feel like there would be more hobbies than time. (I feel like I should put an explainer in here that, as far as I know, I expect to live to a ripe old age. These thoughts didn't come from a medical diagnosis or something like that. They did, however, come after I survived a pretty horrific auto crash.)

But this is a good thing, having more hobbies than time. It means that I get to curate my time, and my life, and my hobbies. Since my disability, now when there's bad physical days, I can take a glorious day or five off without feeling utterly horribly lazy because I'm doing it for myself. How am I going to get better if I don't love myself enough to rest? Sometimes I choose to craft, other times I choose to nap, or write, etc etc... And I get to make this choice for me, because what's best today is what matters. What I feel like doing today is the best compass.

~angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk