What do you do with idle time?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Fred Meyers newspaper ad today has a $30 store credit card to go with either the 7 or 8 inch Amazon Fire tablets priced at $49.99 and 79.99 respectively.

Only 8 gigs and half that is taken up by the operating system, but the memory is expandable via Micro SD card, and anyway 3 or 4 gigs can still pack a fair amount of mid-resolution movies/TV. If you count the store credit as worth anything to you, you're essentially getting the 7 incher at 20 bucks. An inexpensive way to try the downloading concept out, if nothing else.

Caveat again just in case: Amazon Prime is $120/year, and Netflix is about $10/month. You're not downloading or seeing anything without that extra expense.

Also, you need a good case, but the Amazon ones are way too expensive. If anyone cares, I'll make recommendations and give the reason why, re cases.

highdesertranger said:
idle time,  what's that?  highdesertranger

That's the time spent driving to the parts store for the next chore.

mom always said, 'what did you say, you are bored?'
learned real fast never to say I was bored. Someone gives ya work to do you don't wanna do...best to keep quiet, enjoy the moment ya got and not ever say 'you are bored' when anyone is around HA HA

I'm working on learning a new skill. 

Been reading a lot of books about Voodoo, hanging out in cemeteries, seeing if I can raise somebody from the dead. 

What idle time?  This is hard work.  And no, I haven't raised a golem yet.

RoamerRV428 said:
  Someone gives ya work to do you don't wanna do...

If you're good with hammer and drill, you'll make a lot friends in the desert.

RoamerRV428 said:
ain't happening :) :) :)

:)  ...same here. I might get a hammer and drill but don't think anyone would be my friend if I worked on their van, at this point.

I may need to get some practice first!

travelaround said:
:)  ...same here. I might get a hammer and drill but don't think anyone would be my friend if I worked on their van, at this point.

I may need to get some practice first!
I could have mentioned frying pan and sewing needle, but then there would be no end to ladies coming at me with hammers and drills. I would have to setup a security perimeter around my van in the desert. There is one here already with a voodoo doll looks like a toad.

rosiemartinez1211 said:
Are you saying you can download and then watch without internet service? That would be incredible.

There are free YouTube downloaders available that let you download vids from YT (there are always a lot of good documentaries uploaded from PBS or whatever), store them on your HD, then watch them whenever you want. It's how I get almost all my TV.

People do tend to appreciate a home-cooked meal. I don't know how much they'd take for it in trade, but it sure seems to friendly up the spirit.

QR, too funny!!

frying pan, nope, can handle outdoor grill tho and sewing needles, omg I can't sew on a button and never will.

and yes I never owned an iron. I would never iron anything in my life, such a waste of time in my eyes.

no, ya can't worry me about frying pans and sewing, I ain't doing any of that for anyone either :)

QinReno said:
I could have mentioned frying pan and sewing needle
HAHA!!  I got no problem cooking in exchange for hammering. 
I'll make sure not to camp near a voodoo camp, LOL

lenny flank said:
There are free YouTube downloaders available that let you download vids from YT (there are always a lot of good documentaries uploaded from PBS or whatever), store them on your HD, then watch them whenever you want. It's how I get almost all my TV.

Perfect, thanks

not full time: but long term camping, and off the grid experience...

old school: short wave radio, deck of cards, long walks, art sketchbook, writing, cooking, reading, visiting and meditation

rosiemartinez1211 said:
HAHA!!  I got no problem cooking in exchange for hammering. 
I'll make sure not to camp near a voodoo camp, LOL
Rosie, I've been watching some videos of the van build, just to get an idea of what a mob scene in the desert looks like. There are several 100s of people there from the looks of it. They had a chili feed for 100 people a couple of days ago, so I'm sure anyone who can help out in any areas at all can find some fun. Didn't see any voodoo dolls.

I'm usually with people. Conversations or doing things together keep me busy. I do have crossword puzzles, Sudoku, Fill-in-words, etc. that I use to fill my really boring time or when I need alone time. I do well without the Internet. As long as I have cell service to let my family know where I am, and they can tell me that they're fine, that's all I need. Years ago when I cut cable I had withdrawals for 3 or 4 days and then I was good. Haven't looked back at cable since. The same goes for the Internet. If the Internet were to crash tonight, meh, who cares. I survived my first 30 years before the Internet was invented for household use.
You just gotta find stuff to do to keep your body and mind busy. Being without Internet may teach you things about yourself that you never knew.

^^The paper doesn't stand up to my heavy erasure use, but if I change the clues I can make my words fit ;)

Latest posts