What do you do on the road to keep you entertained

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
boutdone said:
well said,  that outlines exactly what I would like to do, well, after I recover from knee surgery. plans are to head out of Atlanta in the month of April 2020 to the southwest USA, now I know how to fill my hours. I was on the fence about getting a new Dremel tool to work on some teak I found on a shipwreck in the Caribbean many years ago.  some woodworking is ahead for me again, that is a good thing. though I will do more of the alone stuff more than look for a socializing experience.
For working teak you should get the corded Dremel 4000, it does have replaceable motor brushes. 
for a hardwood such as teak, or for materials such as bone, the rechargeable battery Dremel motors might well start smoking when doing longer stretches of carving time which will of course eventually lead to motor failure. Plus if they get overloaded in terms of torque they will shut off and you have to wait a while to restart them. They are very frustrating for anything other than light duty tasks, which I do like them for.  Teak will be wearing out the burrs pretty quickly. There are better prices on those at https://widgetsupply.com/ and it is a good company to work with plus they have a very large selection of tools for use in rotary motors including very tiny sizes as well as larger ones. I also like their selection of diamond coated burrs in a wide variety of grits.

I used to have a claim just west of Ft Irwin and south of Goldstone Deep Space Communication Complex. if anybody is into space exploration Goldstone is a vital link in the communication system.

https://www.gdscc.nasa.gov/

very cool area

highdesertranger

Tony\ said:
When I was stationed at Ft Irwin CA back in the early 80s.....we were walking around on one of the ranges to do "clean up" by picking up trash and debris.  We came across a mound of what appeared to be simply rocks......but someone said it had gem stones in it that would be worth a lot of money.  Of course this was federal property so we were not allowed to pick up anything, but it was interesting to see such a site.

Ahhh ... Ft Irwin....brings back memories.  Gallant Eagle 84 & 87.  Bob

Hiking, photography, naturalist studies of various things and historical areas in rural settings.   ~crofter

Bcruik1 said:
Ahhh ... Ft Irwin....brings back memories.  Gallant Eagle 84 & 87.  Bob

I was stationed there when the post was reopened again.  The commissary was very small and often ran out of things.  We used to buy beer and sodas and snuck out to the field and sold them to the troops in tent city .   :cool:

Still working up and down Eastcoast Australia building stone walls for clients, mountain biking is what I like to do on days off.
Though its a bit hot and smoky here atm. 42 C today 44 C tomorrow. (you can work out the imperial measurements)