What do I use on my roof?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

closeanuf

Reaction score
1996 E350 fiberglass hightop.  I was repairing a couple bad spots in the fiberglass yesterday and think it would be good to coat the whole top with something.  Any suggestions?  personal experience would be appreciated.

Is your main goal appearance, like gelcoat?

Or functional protection, waterproofing, not too fussed about a polished finish?

Functional waterproofing.  It doesn't need to be polished.  Anyone have experience with Dicor Fiberglass RV Roof Coating?

Henry 887 Tropi-Cool

Thick and flexible, just one coat seals like the dickens

Also bright white, excellent for reflecting heat

Henry 587 also seals great, not as protective against heat, designed for cooler climates

Really need to know more about your problem, you shouldn't need to waterproof fiberglass, just where it is penetrated. The top coat is for UV protection not waterproofing. Last year I rebuilt a fiberglass cedar strip canoe, I built twenty years ago. I didn't use marine epoxy and it got weak and crumbly over time. I added an extra layer of fiberglass cloth and marine epoxy on the bottom, then re-enforced the inside with strips of epoxied carbon fiber and Kevlar. You can find everything you need to know about fiberglass repair online, check out boat building sites, your top is basically an inverted boat. Marine paint would give you an excellent protective top coat.

I have experience in this. Very fast and cheap way to seal and UV protect the top. Believe it or not ...ZEP Brand Wet-Look Floor Polish. You just wash the top really good then mop it on with a sponge mop (wrap a micro fiber towel over the sponge). One gallon is $25 at Lowes. Put in on straight out of the bottle. It's liquid wax. I did it on my 5th wheel that was dull. Now looks like it just came off the show room floor. If the top is faded you may need to put more than one coat on it. I put three coats on my 37 ft 5th wheel with the one gallon. Look up RV wax ZEP Wet Look Floor Polish on YouTube.

Mattkcc said:
How does it protect from UV rays?

Very Well ! I have had my camper waxed for 8 months. I'm stay in the southeast Texas /Louisiana mostly and it has not yellowed or degraded any. And this wax is probably 7-10 times thicker than the wipe on wipe off stuff. Just be warned....when you put in on..it's staying on. It takes the ZEP Stripper to get it off...and it's not easy. I tried to fix one area where there was a run after it dried and cured. Not easy at all. But the run was just discolored in that area because I got lazy and didn't wash it good enough before I applied the wax. And also know that any dirt that you don't get off before application will be sealed under it. But after 8 months I washed mine with a power washer and brush with detergent..Still shiny as the day i put it on. Hope this helps.   David