What AWG for grounding a 300 Watt Inverter?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poot_traveller

Reaction score
I mentioned on my other thread that I had a 100 Watt inverter, but I looked again and it's actually 300 Watts. 

12v DC/240vAC and it says "peak power: 600 Watts".  But the inverter is actually 300 Watts.

My question is; What size grounding cable should I use?  I have 6 AWG for grounding the battery.  What about the inverter please?

According to the Xantrex PROwatt 600 manual (see link here XANTREX MANUAL) on page 9 they suggest the following:

"Connect the CHASSIS GND screw to the vehicle’s chassis using a minimum 8 AWG copper wirea (preferably with green/yellow insulation)"

I believe this is appropriate for most 600 watt inverters.

is this the chassis ground or the ground from the inverter to the battery? highdesertranger

It's the chassis ground.

The cable from the inverter to the battery is 6AWG.

I just sold my 2000 watt inverter but had gotten Copper 0 AWG cables to use with it and added circuit breaker switch onto it with a 200 Amph fuse.

My reasons:

1. Copper for better conductivity, especially due to between 7 and 8 Feet long of cables for versatility of placement in and out of my wagon.

2. I wanted extra insulation on the cables due to how I tend to pack the trunk of my wagon so tight with stuff on cross country trips.

3. The circuit breaker switch with fuse was for my peace of mind and for ease in changing that fuse than the fuse in my wagon (bad location) or worse.

4. I figured, it is better to go too long than end up needing more length later on with the cables, especially not having a permanent set up while I learn and perfect my wagon dwelling. Plus, it wasn't an easy task to find the cables locally in the first place.

The bigger the cables; the more heavy duty the eyelets have to be to last and work well and easily.

Not only do I hope that information is found helpful, but maybe someone here is interested in possibly buying my Copper 0AWG cables with the circuit switch from me.

a8c1a7749ca0be4d3772171dbe48677f.jpg
fb769c5af0c7e794f77104d0c140befa.jpg
355720fd4d5fba0a2ff184c48bf38a41.jpg

Thanks in advance and Happy travels.

Current location: Silicon Valley, CA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice setup.  Taking a page out of your book, I'm going to get some ring lug plastic covers and some electrical tape.

I have found the circuit breakers like those to be very unreliable, tripping at too low amperage or not tripping at all. Much safer to use a real fuse, although the breakers are more convenient.'

also most DC circuit breakers only work in one direction. I would never use ones marketed to the car audio crowd or cheap no name ones from China. if I were to use them for me they would only be quality marine ones like Bussman or Blue Sea.

but I do agree with Tripper fuses are a lot more reliable.

highdesertranger