what are you doing while under lockdown?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cammalu said:
I want a pool since I’m stuck here now for who knows how long. I know things are opening up but the stats show many new cases everyday so I’m staying put.

I started getting pool estimates and was pretty floored as they are about twice what I was thing they were.  I still want one...
A real pool is such a wonderful thing, so soothing and enticing, so likely to provoke an invite over or an ask can-I-come.  It's a shame our litigious society has made them vanish at such a steady rate.  Pools were one of the most wonderful glories I can remember of summer childhoods... and not just childhoods ...

I want a pool too but there's no room in the van; maybe if I got a trailer and "toad" it.

feeling frustrated ...aggravated
It is a side effect of the Covid 19 situation. Lack of patience when encountering stuff that makes what ought to be a simple task turns out to have some extra quirk happen that makes it a little trickier to do. I wondered if it was just me getting older and crankier but my workshop mate has been experiencing the same impatient frustrations on his projects. We are both usually fairly patient about such things as they are a normal part of a "makers" life.

I want quick, I want easy, I want lots of progress at the end of every day but that no longer seems to exist. My to-do list is not noticeably shrinking despite the weather being warmer.

LoveCareThinkDo said:
I'm learning how to organize all my photos. It's way more complicated than it sounds because of all the metadata and no one seems to stick to the standards.

Then I'm learning how to edit video. Particularly, 360° video. 

And a whole lot of starring out the window doing nothing.

I've been contemplating his very thing. It IS more complicated than it sounds. Have you come to any conclusions?

travelaround said:
There's a logical explanation..

Symptoms of cabin fever:

Lethargy
    Sadness or depression
    Trouble concentrating
    Lack of patience
    Food cravings
    Decreased motivation
    Difficulty waking
    Frequent napping
    Hopelessness

Found here:
Cabin Fever Symptoms and Coping Skills
I don't actually  have a case of cabin fever.  I am just frustrated because what was once easy for me to do in the way of building tasks is now difficult because of the excess of physical pain.

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that Maki. That must be very frustrating for you. Is this still your hand/arm or something else?

Today I've been researching California history - a long-time interest of mine as I spent most of my life in this state.

As soon as it quits raining,I'm going to be re-planting all the green bean seed that rotted in the ground because of all the rain.I was hoping to take the boat out and catch some fish today but now the ws is predicting thunderstorms this pm.

I haven't touched a lawn mower or snow shovel in 15 years and proud of it! LOL!!!

I am allowing the state forestry dept. to maintain the area around my home. No more mowers, shovels (except for cat holes) edgers, trimmers etc for me. And if I am able to keep to my plan I will not see big snowfalls and ice storms ever again. While I am in lockdown we are doing the finishing touches for the van. And as of Friday we will not be on lockdown in our part of PA, still social distancing and masks but businesses reopening and people able to earn a living (with caution) again.

B and C said:
I never did find a good day for mowing the lawn.  It always sucked!
Love mowing. Now I have gravel though. Raking the gravel is supposed to be a meditative experience. Maybe I don't have the right kind of gravel for that.
-crofter

crofter said:
Now I have gravel though. Raking the gravel is supposed to be a meditative experience. Maybe I don't have the right kind of gravel for that.
-crofter

The right kind of rake can help a lot too.  What do your neighbors have for gravel and the type of rake they use?  No need in reinventing the wheel.

Lawn mowing and edging are great exercise - something I desperately need. It doesn't hurt me at all to go out there and pretend I care about what the yard looks like while making enough noise to make my neighbors have to turn up their TV's. Unfortunately ... I ran out of gas today. I think there's more in the shed, but I decided to do the edging in front of the mobile home this afternoon. Of course... you have to understand... I lived in an apartment for years and before that had a man on site doing these kinds of things, so mowing and other yard tasks are still a novelty for me.

lets look at early childhood
Some children can happily entertain themselves for much of the day without a lot of social interaction. Others kids have ants in their pants syndrome. That has little to do with intro and extro for socialization.

Some children like a lot of stimulation. Other children do not like a lot of stimulation. Some children do not like a noisy environments, other children enjoy lots of noise. That also has little to do with intro and extro socialization

If you like peace and quiet and have the ability to happily entertain yourself then you will do just fine with stay at home and to some extent with social distancing. If you crave a lot of stimulation and normally have "ants in your pants" then you will not do well stay at home unless you have enough hobbies and toys to keep you entertained when on your own or else are sheltering in place with others and can do joint activities.

My son did not start out as a child who could entertain himself, at 3 years old he was instead high demand relying on me to entertain him. But fortunately I needed to do a behavior modification project in my college psychology class and took on increasing his ability to entertain himself in solo play time as the project. I used a timer and a jar of M&Ms and gradually increased the amount of time he spent on entertaining himself versus coming to me looking for stimulation. It worked out very nicely, took a lot of stress out of my life especially since it was winter time in Alaska and I could not just send him outside to play in the back yard.

Think back to your childhood, what were you like ? Did you entertain yourself or rely on other people to be involved in your entertainment? I grew up in a large family so I enjoyed time with my siblings but I also loved time on my own. Fortunately I am not doing stay at home solo but I am also not doing full time in the same small dwelling space with another person(s).

Travelaround, remember old gas will cause problems in mowers.