What are the unwritten rules about dogs in campsites?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't realize when I got a dog that I would hate other dog owners, LOL. I've had my dog a couple years. When I first got her, she's was fine with other dogs. If we passed on a trail or whatever, she'd sniff and then be on her way. Pretty laid back.

Once, several months ago, I was walking her on back roads in the rural area where I live, and a dog came up to us, NOT on a leash and no owner in sight. It didn't even occur to me to be worried about anything. Long story short, there was a dog fight. I was screaming bloody murder, and kicking that dog and trying to pull mine away. Luckily a mail truck drove up and the mail lady got the dog's attention and he went over to her. I took that opportunity to get the hell out of there. And I immediately started carrying pepper spray on our walks.

After the attack, Penelope starting getting her hackles up at ANY dog that went by. It was starting to be a nuisance. I'm currently doing traveling work, and I was staying in a pet friendly apartment building, but I dreaded going out to walk her b/c she was always ready to go after any dog we passed. I dreaded getting on or off the elevator.

So, I used a training technique I saw on a dog show and she's much calmer and hardly cares if she sees a dog, but today we were walking on a trail and an unleashed dog came running towards her. I yelled at the owner, "She's not 100% reliable!", and he got his dog back on leash. I just want to throttle dog owners sometimes.

I don't have any kids, but the feeling I had when my Penelope was attacked surprised the hell out of me. I would've killed that other dog without remorse.

Yep, when they’ve been bit they develop “fear aggression”.

My dog has it, and I just tell all dog owners she is afraid of other dogs.

If she has a chance to interact off leash in that kind of setting, she will adjust to other dogs over time but other owners first have to deal with her baring her teeth and growling.

Dogs always know what she is saying, other owners not so much.

Usually.

“fear aggression”, that describes my reaction to unleashed dogs.

I don't appreciate being sniffed, either, an invasion of my personal space. You don't know where that nose has been recently.

Yelling "I'm not 100% reliable!", I wonder how that would go over.

When I was a small child, who didn't grow to average height until 15-16, my mother would tell me "they're barking because you are afraid, just don't be afraid." I replied, "but they're mean and bigger than me!"

The best advice about dogs that I received, was when I was in Fort Lauderdale, while going through neighborhoods delivering flyers, with a female coworker, who told me to pretend that I held a rock and I was going to throw it. The dogs would shut up. Completing the throw motion, if necessary.

On fear agression, I experienced a lot of doggy agression for a year or two after being bitten by a Great Pyrenees dog. Had to take the rabies shots paid for by the dog's owner. Its funny that the bite messed up my vibes as much as it messed up my body.
-crofter

It wasn’t a vibe. Our body literally changes hormonally moment to moment and fear has a scent to dogs (ever heard the human expression “flop sweat?”) When an animal smells fear they become fearful because another fearful animal is unpredictable so they will attack first. I always advise people that when they are around dogs  and are uncomfortable they shut down. Go dead inside. Don’t feel fear so the animal will smell nothing. Also don’t make eye contact and smile and sing and walk away slowly and happily (the last one I learned from my trainer who was a full-time professional trainer of guide dogs for the blind.) It’s all scent. Best book ever (dry and scientific but excellent) Inside of a Dog.

And hope others do as well. Good luck.
I carry pepper spray. Dogs aren't my favorite but if one approaches slowly, calmly, AND gently, I can deal. I can not deal with a dog that comes running up to me off leash. On the trails, I always yell "Get your dog" but the dog is never under their control and they don't. Then they get upset when I pepper spray the dog. Once I had to pepper spray the owner. I wish I could spray only the owners because it's not the dog's fault but alas, I can't.

People on YouTube show their dogs running off leash on BLM land so I think that might be common there. I plan to be careful when I'm out and about.

Don't own a dog right now, but have had several over the years.
Done a lot of camping with them.
Nothing it funnier to me then being in the great outdoors, turning to the doggie and saying 'wanna go outside?'
they get all excited.
You are outside silly!

Anyway when we would camp on undeveloped BLM land there was nothing posted about leashes, 6 feet etc.
We let our dogs run around off leash because we were a group of about 20 people. All our dogs were related, and we all looked after each others pets as if they were our own.
The ony time this ever backfired was when my dog got into it with a skunk. Boy that was a hoot.

That said, most people are not terribly adept at controlling their dogs.
I disagree with the common 'alpha' concept. I think this leads to people beating their dogs into submission and trying to head game their dogs. I've seen it.
What is more effective is to be consistent. Dogs don't really speak human language. They just know a few words like water, walk eat etc.
You have to communicate with them with emotions and do so in a way that makes sense.
Don't use a a sweetheart voice when you are telling them not to get in the trash.
If they have been bad, ostracize them. Telling them it was bad to pee in the house in a cute voice, then inviting them up on the couch accomplished nothing. If anything they are confused now.
A word I picked up from a professional dog trainer was socialize.
You don't train it,
you socialize your dog.

Anyway, about dogs in RV parks and campgrounds, pick up the dog poop.
I see so many dog poop bags on the side of trails. What does that accomplish?
Yeah it is gross, but you need to carry a separate bag to pack out your dogs business until you find a dumpster.
It's what you signed up for when you got that puppy.

Do people let their dogs run off leash in campsites? On BLM land?

The reason I ask is because I have a small dog but I'm really nervous about camping with other people, because I'm terrified about dog fights.

My last dog got attacked by another dog and the other dog punctured my dog's eyeball and ripped his ear. Ever since then, I've been terrified to let my dog get near other dogs.

I know I have to get over this fear, but I don't know how I'm going to get over this fear if other people let their dogs run loose, off leash.

I think I might have to camp away from all other people, because I'm just too terrified about other dogs attacking my dog.
DO NOT “GET OVER “ THE FEAR OF YOUR DOG BEING ATTACKED…. I DONT.. IT IS M Y JOB TO PROTECT HIM FROM OFF THE LEASH DOGS WHO WILL ATTACK AND HARM HIM AS THEY DID TO YOUR POOR LITTLE DOGS EAR AND EYE… JUST AWFUL!!! JESUS CHRIST !!!!!

I carry pepper spray. Dogs aren't my favorite but if one approaches slowly, calmly, AND gently, I can deal. I can not deal with a dog that comes running up to me off leash. On the trails, I always yell "Get your dog" but the dog is never under their control and they don't. Then they get upset when I pepper spray the dog. Once I had to pepper spray the owner. I wish I could spray only the owners because it's not the dog's fault but alas, I can't.

People on YouTube show their dogs running off leash on BLM land so I think that might be common there. I plan to be careful when I'm out and about.
I LIKE YOU !!!!! HAHAHAH

Anyone pepper spraying someone else's dog should be sure it is really necessary. I.e. you being in danger of being bitten and not just because you dislike that they are running free. Even though they are in the wrong, some people could get really angry about their dog being sprayed and the situation could escalate into something very dangerous.

Personally "running up to me off leash" was suppose to indicate that I use pepper spray as a last resort for dogs running directly at me and getting close enough that pepper spray is necessary. I believe hurting anything living - other than bugs that get into your personal space - should be a last resort, not a first.

I also avoid areas where dogs are allowed off leash. Other than that, I don't believe anyone should limit their life for the convenience of other people's dogs. Personally I go where dogs are required to be on leash, I tell people to get their dogs as soon as I see them running at me, I'm going to change that to "I'm scared of dogs" to see if that works better, and then I protect myself if absolutely necessary. I have a right to exist, dogs have a right to exist, and if owners do the right things, we can all exist in love and harmony.

The reason I ask is because I have a small dog but I'm really nervous about camping with other people, because I'm terrified about dog fights.

My last dog got attacked by another dog and the other dog punctured my dog's eyeball and ripped his ear. Ever since then, I've been terrified to let my dog get near other dogs.

I know I have to get over this fear, but I don't know how I'm going to get over this fear if other people let their dogs run loose, off leash.

I think I might have to camp away from all other people, because I'm just too terrified about other dogs attacking my dog.
I travel with five dogs. 25,000 miles in three years.

They are friendly and might bark if excited and never bite. I try to walk them individually, and my breed, Portuguese Water Dogs, tend to stay close. They are bred as boat dogs, so they are used to being confined also. A camper is much like a boat with regards to space. Speaking of boats I plan to move on board my sailboat when completed. It is even larger than my camper.

What I do is avoid campgrounds. If I need to run them I look for tennis courts so the poop is easy to spot and pick up. I've traveled with as many as 11 dogs (6 pups) at a time. It is a lot of fun watching pups cruise around. There are generally people willing to help manage them. Everyone love puppies. I have a litter due the end of April. If they need off leash time, and I don't have others around, I'll let one go at a time. A group might get too excited and run for miles. I also use radio tracking collars on my younger dogs.

I suggest you take your dogs to public places and get it used to lots of people being around, and other dogs. Dogs generally like to play and get acquainted with other dogs. It should be part of your training.

a)
We are micro-managed by three RedHeelers.
Our rascals prefer walking on-leash.
This keeps every other dog, all the humans, and occasional tumble-weeds from needing to be rounded-up and directed to the [invisible but around here someplace...] loading-chute.
Makes life easier.
I think dogs need their people.
Dogs without their people get 'curious', and tend to trespass boundaries.
For trespassing dogs, we like those hand-held air-horns.
b)
Coyotes enjoy the company of little dogs, often inviting them over for supper.
Are you prepared to put a stop to that?

You wouldn't believe how many times we have had people put their dogs on a leash and let them run unattended stating it had gotten away from them. I passed one dog that was carrying his folded leash in his mouth off headed off the docks to deposit a big pile of poop right at the end of the shore ramp which is a heavily traveled area. I waited for him to come back by and followed him back to his house boat where the family was eating their evening meal and apparently hadn't wanted to interrupt their meal to walk their dog. I wrote a note and stuck it in the dogs collar stating the owner would receive a visit from a ranger if the manure wasn't picked up within the next 5 minutes. They were upset when I interrupted their meal 10 minutes later and dumped a pile of dog poop on their deck next to the desert cart and told them to enjoy their desert, yep it was time for me to retire.

How long was your mouth wired shut after that?

The other thing about dogs, loose or leashed, is that because your dog loves everyone and every other dog does not mean the dog your dog is approaching feels the same way.

Mine has been bitten and is fear-aggressive.

I pull her up close when we encounter other dogs, and tell anyone who has theirs on a long leash that mine is afraid of other dogs.

She doesn’t want dogs she doesn’t know near her, nor me, and will tell them so. Clearly.

Tho she doesn’t try to kill and eat other dogs, she does look like she could do so and so I take the position that owners need to be forewarned.

a)
We are micro-managed by three RedHeelers.
Our rascals prefer walking on-leash.
This keeps every other dog, all the humans, and occasional tumble-weeds from needing to be rounded-up and directed to the [invisible but around here someplace...] loading-chute.
Makes life easier.
I think dogs need their people.
Dogs without their people get 'curious', and tend to trespass boundaries.
For trespassing dogs, we like those hand-held air-horns.
b)
Coyotes enjoy the company of little dogs, often inviting them over for supper.
Are you prepared to put a stop to that?
Thanks for mentioning air horns. I'm going to get one and see if that will stop dogs from running at me.

Latest posts