What are the unwritten rules about dogs in campsites?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless it is being served as the main course, don't bring a pet to a meal.

bullfrog said:
Bad Bear! As the owner grabs up their pet to protect it! I'm sorry my imagination is just running wild. LOL!!!
HA HA
yea grabbing up a pet is the only way you ensure it is not bitten and shook to break its back by a big dog.  But against a bear, hell everyone loses I think LOL

The dog coming after the little tiny dog never usually wants the person.  They want the dog but if you scoop it up the other dog is like, hmm, and of course you could be screaming and kicking and doing all the rest HAHA

I had to pick up a few times and got lucky.  The dog would just 'stop' its focus cause the little dog is off the ground.  Never had that 'vicious' gonna kill owner and dog just cause ya picked it up.  
 One really just has to deal wtih the big dog little dog issue best ya can.

I remember one campground guy had 2 choc labs. Nice dogs actually and of course he said they are safe and I never listen to that. I never put my little dog around any other dogs even if the owner says safe LOL but later that evening, hell, those 2 choc labs tore each other up! I heard a big dog fight near my door and wow those 2 'safe friendly labs' that were together were beating the shit out of each other. owner had a hard time breaking up that fight but he did and I thought, yup, that's your safe pets for ya LOL

eh it is what it is out there. All you can do is the best to keep the tiny dogs out of the mouths of the big ones :)

Does anyone use the little portable fencing setups to deter this prey behavior by camp dogs? I also worry about predatory birds with the smaller breeds.
-crofter

My neighbor lost her pet to a badger after it destroyed a wooden post and dug a trench under the fencing in about 10 minutes according to her when she left it unattended. Really unusual to see a badger in these parts. I've seen a large German Shepard go through two strings of electric fence and work 6" block stock fence till the large staples in wooden posts came out and he rode it down to about 4' high and went over it to attack another dog. Even a carrier isn't a good solution if not monitored.

One of the reasons National Parks require all pets to be on a leash of less than 6' length is to insure you monitor your pet and are close enough to control it.

leashes and tie outs aren't even reliable

Our neighbor had her German out on a leash in the front yard. I brought my dog out for a walk and Xavier stood up, pulled on that leash and broke the big metal clip like a toothpick. Came flying at my Major but I got him back into the door in a flash and diverted that horrible trouble to be.

A big dog can snap a leash clip in a split second if he pulls fast hard .....which is what I contended with on my beach camp trip I just enjoyed. Big shepard mix on leash, unattended at the camper, left outside alone and you walk by and the big bark and pull on the leash and I said to hubby no more walking this way :) I said that shepard can snap that leash in a split second and I ain't testing that theory he might.

alot of people do use the little fences around their awning areas. I have no experience with those tho.

You wouldn't believe how many times we have had people put their dogs on a leash and let them run unattended stating it had gotten away from them. I passed one dog that was carrying his folded leash in his mouth off headed off the docks to deposit a big pile of poop right at the end of the shore ramp which is a heavily traveled area. I waited for him to come back by and followed him back to his house boat where the family was eating their evening meal and apparently hadn't wanted to interrupt their meal to walk their dog. I wrote a note and stuck it in the dogs collar stating the owner would receive a visit from a ranger if the manure wasn't picked up within the next 5 minutes. They were upset when I interrupted their meal 10 minutes later and dumped a pile of dog poop on their deck next to the desert cart and told them to enjoy their desert, yep it was time for me to retire.

bullfrog said:
10 minutes later and dumped a pile of dog poop on their deck next to the desert cart and told them to enjoy their desert, yep it was time for me to retire.
So anyone want a little poop with their dessert?  HA
that is so cool ya got them bullfrog....sometimes a slap in the face is needed, you did just that.  cool :) Nothing wrong with calling people out a bit when required! All actions can create circumstances for sure :)

but to the OP, I have camped with my little dog into 10 years now and I have to say the 'scary crazy' has not been that bad...but of course the few times stuff happened it is super scary and can freak one out a bit but I have to say, our camp times have mostly been cool ya know. SO DO NOT think this stuff is rampant out there truly. It is be aware at all times and on your toes when your pooch is out and about.....that is all you can do and I have to say we enjoy our dog on camp trips, it is fun vs. terrible ya know.....for most the scary is few and farther between truly. There are alot of great pet owners out there doing the right thing for sure!

My Mom uses the little garden fence thing around her door for her little tiny dogs. It stops her dogs from going to far. But I don't think it would even slow down a mid sized dog much less a big dog. We've talked about this a few times as she doesn't go out most of the time with her dogs. 2 little badly behaved yappers.
Everyone knows when she is in the campground and unless they see him out walking with us or cross him, as in tries to sneak in to our camp, most of the time nobody notices my big dog. That said I do keep him as contained as possible . Cable, not chain, strong Clip not Whimpey, Short leash in MY hand, it did get pulled out once in a surprise time. Always have pepper spray in my pocket. Not just for bad guys, but for other dogs/dog fights and wild animals.

good post vanbrat! you know what it takes for your pooch, love that

I have a mini Pit (my third Pit all gentle) who was so badly abused after two years she’s still fearful. Sadly small dogs (and I’ve had many) are far more aggressive and often start with her and it’s her fault because of her breed. My 3 Pits were all attacked by small dogs and all three loved dogs and were not aggressive. I’ve stopped letting her interact with other dogs outside the dog park. She is always on a leash and never allowed outside in public without being with me on a leash. When I first got her a large Frenchie ran out of a house and took her right down and tore up her face. She has aortic stenosis and is not strong and gets winded. The kid who owned the Frenchie had to pull it off. Her leash was all tangled and I couldn’t pull them apart. Now if I go down and get injured I’m suing for your house. I watch my dogs like a hawk.

Same thing with my last Pit. He was attacked 4 times by a tiny chi mix who’d come running out of the house and take him down. My dog was arthritic, old and in terrible pain in his front leg. I finally told my neighbor that if it happened again I’d give her the vet bills and have county animal control put the dog down (two bites here and it’s over) and I’m an obsessive dog lover. But I had had it.
Keep your freaking dog on a leash or locked up. Sadly these losers think the rules don’t apply to them.

Giggles said:
I think I might have to camp away from all other people, because I'm just too terrified about other dogs attacking my dog.
Giggles, the problem you are facing is not terrible dogs but "terrible pet owners" . Most of these undisciplined , barking dogs are being raised  to do as they please. I would say you are very observant and accurate on what you need to do as the BLM land , parks,  etc are overrun with bad to terrible pet owners. Keep your eye on your dog and surroundings at all times just as if it was a child in a bad neighborhood. my2cents

This: are far more aggressive and often start with her

Mini dogs are 'humans' to their owners. THEY most times are not trained and very aggressive cause of NO training cause 'they are little dogs' and people feel it is not required but it is a 'big doggie' brain in that 'tiny doggie body' and most don't get that.

Train everything from the smallest dog to the biggest is the best approach but with 'little tiny cute non-threatening mini play toy 'they are human family' dogs.....you are spot on.

It is the owner thinking little means No dog here but wrong. So wrong. My Papillion who is super small was trained just like a big doggie guy so he is not that aggressive yappy pain in the azz most owners will ALLOW their small one to be.

owners and size.....size matter I think here HAHA but I so get your post!

and bagabum it ain't pitiful in truth to 'follow leash laws' everyone expects from a CG we visit yet many don't. For those who don't get it, put the damn thing on a leash and under REAL control.

Heck I walked mini dog past a big hound who was pulling her small lady person all over the place. Dog weighed more than her! I thought, screw this, I turned and went straight into another site near the awing to 'avoid the person' who probably couldn't even hold that dog, I SAW leash out of hand and my dog dead............so ya know :) just sayin'....leash law great, people who can handle untrained dog, not great

Sure some heartfelt stories here, thank you all. 
Mine of last week...I've a senior gentle golden mix, we were recently walking back to the parking lot after a walk, and lo a couple were feeding their big ol whatever between their car and mine.  I did not see them until I rounded the corner to my car and Lunge! goes their dog.  I immediately pull my dog away and backpedal asap, trip on my dog's leash, fall backwards on the ground, head bleeding, shock, and have let go of my dog's leash in the suddenness of falling.  Blessedly she is ok, and as angry as I was with the other dog's owners it could have been so much worse. at least they grabbed hold of their dog before it could dig in to mine.  And a wonder there was not a break in my hip or arm when I fell.

I carry Halt spray in my pocket but that's of no value when something surprises you in a flash.  Thinking on this (and am all ears for any suggestions), realizing that a split second can be the difference, am getting a second Halt can to tape on to my walking cane, that could be fractionally quicker to use since both hands are already occupied with my cane and the leash.  Not that would not have helped in this situation.
Other than that am parking further away from the most used parking spots, so more apt to see better what is or is not near my car.

A friend later said I should have at least gotten a picture of them and their license plate.  Fair point, but without witnesses can't see it would make any difference.  Never even occurred to me in the shock of it all anyway, was just grateful my dog was ok and I was able to get up.  Was still shaking driving home.

Head injuries are serious and you should be checked. I have had several friends die or loose functional memory in the last year. Internal bleeding is a serious many times undetected until your dead or have severe damage. Older brains don't bounce well.

I am looking into this now myself as I have a little dog and she has to be on a leash (the extending king) here at my apt. building which is good of course.  And I would do the same with her in a camp.  The person that mentioned follow the rules of the group was helpful since they each have their rules evidentaly that we could check out before joining ;)  I love all animals, but I do have to watch out for my pet too ;)

There are dog parks just about everywhere nowadays so the pooches can romp and play. It will help both you and them. Even Quartzsite has a dog park and three separately fenced areas. A swimming pool too

Cammalu said:
There are dog parks just about everywhere 
yea I woulda thought these were fab.  But my little pooch, put in a dog park just sits by me and waits 'for a walk' LOL  I actually found that a fenced dog park which I thought would be just wonderful as a useless thing for him.  huh.. I wish he was the kind of mutt that would wander and enjoy but nope, he wants with us and wants to be out walking along.  I know they work so well for so many!