What are my options if I want to maintain my CA residency but need a garaging address

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello guys, I’m in a bit of a pickle. Not sure what to do as I’m trying to find out how to keep my CA domicile but don’t know what to do about having a garaging address for keeping my car insurance, drivers license and DMV reg. I dnot want friends or any of my family to know I’ll be full timing vehicle living so I don’t want to ask them to use their address. Other than using those mail delivery services in SD, TX or FL to switch residency, are there any other options? I want to keep everything legit to avoid any problems down the road.

I went the opposite way. I moved to CA in 2008 and switched from a TX to CA license. Regret it to this day as the FTB (tax people) still hassle me. I switched back to a TX license in 2012. My truck and motorcycle are titled/tagged in SD, so much easier. I'm using a friend's address in TX as well as my old RV park address (on my license) More anonymity and cost savings. No problem getting insurance or tag renewals..