What about medications?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost There said:
As to income source - a disability pension or other 'pension' income is often judged to be more dependable than a job...let's face it, in todays' world anyone, even top executives can be laid off on a moments notice.

But, since you are already with the patient connection program, your charity health care provider is not the one who is paying for the drug and the delivery of your prescription is moveable. Another health care provider will use the paperwork from the drug company to get your drugs for you. Or with the advent of the generic forms of the drug, you may find that it's affordable. And of course, a different lifestyle may very well alter the drugs that you take.

The reason that generic forms of the drug aren't already available is because the drug companies that are getting ready to release generic forms of the drug are still in the final stages of getting FDA approval for their version of the drug. There was some set backs because of various lawsuits that held things up. It's one of those things that doesn't necessarily run as smoothly as it could - after all Sanofi-Aventis, in their own best interests, have put as many stumbling blocks in the way of the other drug companies as they can. I was stunned to see the billions and billions of dollars in sales that they make each year off of the one drug.

I am not on any disability or other gov income, so that aspect doesn't apply to me.

Any other drug program would also be delivered to the provider, and not to me direcly. And thus, I would have to qualify, with residency being a key component of that and with likely similar requirements to refill only one months supply. And since I don't know where I would go or desire to stay, I would be taking a massive risk with my health. Its a non-starter.

Yes, perhaps a different lifestyle might change my med needs, but it also might not too. or things could get worse as I am not getting younger. And without a regular doctor to see, I won't be seen by medical eyes.

ccbreder said:
You stated you have not been in the USA very long. If you are here legal, you should look into Social Security, Disability. I hope you get squared away for your medications. What ever charity you are with should be helping you connect.

You should re-read what I wrote as it isn't what you think I wrote.

I think there are big gaps in healthcare, as well as big gaps in some people's understandings, who don't have medical issues or concerns, as to what healthcare options are available for people who aren't in their position.

Simply, I would be dead if I didn't have the charity I am with helping me.

I gotta be honest with you and tell you that there is a way to break free from the tyranny of of your situation, but it will have some risk and require learning a lot of new things and facing scarry things.

Obviously I don't know you in any way, but from what I've read from you here, I'd suggest you stay where you are.

I've gone down this road before. I helped a lady through all the changes and held her hand until she was free and she even came to camp with Judy and I so we could help her. But it was all just much too hard for her and she ran straight back to the bad situation she was in, but now it was worse. That was a real learning experience for me and now I am much more careful to look for clues if a person really is capable of living the free mobile life.

Right now you have a strong safety net and you are safe. If you go mobile that will be gone and you will be responsible for everything that happens to you. Is that really what you want? The freedom sounds really good to you but it isn't free, you will face many new and hard things--is it really going to be worth it to you??

If you do want to be free, we can show you how, just be very sure you want the risk and hard work that comes with it.
Bob

I went back to re-read your op. It is what I "think you wrote". Exactly why have you asked for our advice?

akrvbob said:
I gotta be honest with you and tell you that there is a way to break free from the tyranny of of your situation, but it will have some risk and require learning a lot of new things and facing scarry things.

Obviously I don't know you in any way, but from what I've read from you here, I'd suggest you stay where you are.

I've gone down this road before. I helped a lady through all the changes and held her hand until she was free and she even came to camp with Judy and I so we could help her. But it was all just much too hard for her and she ran straight back to the bad situation she was in, but now it was worse. That was a real learning experience for me and now I am much more careful to look for clues if a person really is capable of living the free mobile life.

Right now you have a strong safety net and you are safe. If you go mobile that will be gone and you will be responsible for everything that happens to you. Is that really what you want? The freedom sounds really good to you but it isn't free, you will face many new and hard things--is it really going to be worth it to you??

If you do want to be free, we can show you how, just be very sure you want the risk and hard work that comes with it.
Bob

All through the time that I have spent watching videos, reading accounts of this lifestyle, what others have faced/experienced, I ask myself "Could I do that?" or "Can I be OK with that happening to me?"and "Can I live without "X"? The answer often is I am not sure, largely because I have only ever lived in a typical home and living on the road/rough has not been part of my experience landscape, save for the few "carefree" holidays I had in my youth.
I do know myself quite well and I think I have a large enough scope to endure and tolerate all kinds of discomforts, no frills, simple existence, etc., as I have done so before when circumstances produced that scenario for me. But what I don't know is how long I can do that for when a time limit is not part of the equation and also, how I would handle the unexpected or those things that are "Oh, I didn't think of that before I changed my life completely" type things.
I realize its a risk and I am not blind to that. Its a question I suppose of whether the unhappiness, the uncountable irritations with much of modern life that I and others are forced to comply with or endure, and of feeling trapped are strong enough to propel me into taking a risk with van dwelling.

I think the issues surrounding the medical aspects of my situation are certainly important to address and not take big risks with. I could probably tolerate going to Mexico once a year if doing so meant I could buy whatever meds I needed and that I would have a years' supply. I could view that requirement as the price I have to pay to allow me to enjoy the rest of the year as I wanted to and where I wanted to. And if generic insulin came on the market, then that would remove one major obstacle for me.

The other part of this that I have been thinking of is to be able to save enough money living like this to be able to one day buy some land and then live as self sufficiently as I possibly could, with a simple home. I realize that this may get harder and harder to do as I get older, but it appeals to me a lot.

ccbreder said:
I went back to re-read your op. It is what I "think you wrote". Exactly why have you asked for our advice?

"I have not lived in the US that long yet.". Meaning, that I haven't been here enough time to have built up enough qualifications to receive gov aid when the time comes, because I have only worked for 2.5 years but have lived here for much longer.

Who is "our"?
Is there an us and them here?

My concern is that every time we offer you advice, you say, "No, that can't work for me." Over the years I've answered thousands of requests for help and advice and that phrase used constantly has come to be a red flag to me. I've answered dozens of emails from people who just kept saying, "No, that can't work for me." and finally they decided it wasn't for them and I never heard from them again.

Here are the assumptions I'm working under followed by my advice to you:

1) you have $1800 a month income and it is going to continue
2) You're willing to live small and primitive in a van and boondock on public land so you can live for free, saving $900 a month in rent.
3) You are a US citizen and can apply for ObamaCAre

My advice:

Don't do anything before you do all the research to be sure you can health insurance.

Go here and see if you will qualify for a healthcare subsidy.
https://www.healthcare.gov/

Use 100 Rainbow Dr, Livingston, TX 77399 as your address. That will be your new address in Texas. Texas has lots of insurers that offer nationwide care. If you can get health insurance then you are free to go. You may have to wait the next Open Enrollment for a Subsidy which probably will be in November so don't make any changes until you have it in hand.

Once you are sure you can get health insurance start getting rid of excess stuff and do this:

1) Buy a high top van in good reliable condition--the newer the better
2) Join the Escapees RV club
3) Following the Escapees advice and help become a Texas citizen using their mail forwarding service. They will make it easy.
4) At the next Open Enrollment apply for an ObaomaCare subsidy. It's not that hard and you can do it. You simply go to healthcare.gov and answer all their questions. Your finances are confusing to me so I'm not sure if you will get it or not.
5) Your'e already paying $900 a month of rent, you will just change that over to paying for health insurance and buying your own medications in Mexico or at Walmart. I would be very surprised if that wasn't enough.
6) Get Obama care in Nov or December then come to the Arizona desert and camp with us at RTR where you will make many new friends who want to help you and will teach you to be a vandweller

Bob

x2 what Bob said.

I will add that either you can or you can't.  Whichever you choose is right.  If you are only looking for excuses not to, then you probably should not.  If you are mostly looking for ways to do it, then you have come to the right place.  Your choice, no one can make it for you.

My $0.02 worth

akrvbob said:
My concern is that every time we offer you advice, you say, "No, that can't work for me."  Over the years I've answered thousands of requests for help and advice and that phrase used constantly has come to be a red flag to me. I've answered dozens of emails from people who just kept saying, "No, that can't work for me." and finally they decided it wasn't for them and I never heard from them again.

Here are the assumptions I'm working under followed by my advice to you:

1) you have $1800 a month income and it is going to continue
2) You're willing to live small and primitive in a van and boondock on public land so you can live for free, saving $900 a month in rent.
3) You are a US citizen and can apply for ObamaCAre

My advice:

Don't do anything before you do all the research to be sure you can health insurance.

Go here and see if you will qualify for a healthcare subsidy.
https://www.healthcare.gov/

Use 100 Rainbow Dr, Livingston, TX 77399 as your address. That will be your new address in Texas. Texas has lots of insurers that offer nationwide care. If you can get health insurance then you are free to go. You may have to wait the next Open Enrollment for a Subsidy which probably will be in November so don't make any changes until you have it in hand.

Once you are sure you can get health insurance start getting rid of excess stuff and do this:

1) Buy a high top van in good reliable condition--the newer the better
2) Join the Escapees RV club
3) Following the Escapees advice and help become a Texas citizen using their mail forwarding service. They will make it easy.
4) At the next Open Enrollment apply for an ObaomaCare subsidy. It's not that hard and you can do it. You simply go to healthcare.gov and answer all their questions. Your finances are confusing to me so I'm not sure if you will get it or not.
5) Your'e already paying $900 a month of rent, you will just change that over to paying for health insurance and buying your own medications in Mexico or at Walmart. I would be very surprised if that wasn't enough.
6) Get Obama care in Nov or December then come to the Arizona desert and camp with us at RTR where you will make many new friends who want to help you and will teach you to be a vandweller
[font=Tahoma, sans-serif]Your portrayal of me and my search for information is simply not true.[/font]

[font=Tahoma, sans-serif]First of all, you use the word “we”, which is a powerful divider of people and sets into motion the idea that there is an “us and them” in [font=Tahoma, sans-serif]any[/font] situation that is at hand. This site is surely an open forum of private individuals, not of a pre-determined group or hidden clique. I know such things exist on other forums but I would not expect that with this forum. If it is, I will leave.[/font]

[font=Tahoma, sans-serif]Secondly, you used the term “every time” in your statement “every time we offer your advice”, which is a falsehood, designed to lead other readers of this thread into a certain viewpoint of yours. With this opening line in your post, you are also talking at me and not to me.[/font]
[font=Tahoma, sans-serif]You have also lied about what I have written and that is not at all acceptable.[/font]

[font=Tahoma, sans-serif]As someone who professes considerable experience with helping people, I would have expected behavior from such a person that reflects that experience and not someone with an abrasive, egotistical and uppity attitude as I perceive you to have. Those who put themselves up to help others have to understand what that word "help" means if the helped and the helper are to gain benefit.[/font]

[font=Tahoma, sans-serif]So, your attitude is that because I am not accepting nor grabbing with gusto the suggestions that others have made, that this somehow puts me into the category that you say it does. What right do you have to say such a thing? [/font]
[font=Tahoma, sans-serif]Just because someone makes a suggestion does not mean that their suggestion is any good, or that I should like it, or that I must accept it. What kind of arrogancy do you have to demand that I comply with other people's ideas? It is up to me to assess something for myself and not for anyone else to determine. [/font]

[font=Tahoma, sans-serif]I have replied to each suggestion that I wished to, pointing out how I felt about them and why, etc. What is wrong with that? Just because someone finds that solution A works for them does not mean it will work for me [font=Tahoma, sans-serif]or o[font=Tahoma, sans-serif]t[/font]hers[/font]. Yes, it could be so that I am not willing to make this change to my life or at least, that I am not yet ready to do so[font=Tahoma, sans-serif],[/font] but that is for me to determin[font=Tahoma, sans-serif]e and not for anyone else to pontificate on.[/font][/font]
[font=Tahoma, sans-serif]If anyone doesn't like/tires of my questions or my way of responding, etc., they have a choice not to respond or to avoid read any of my posts.[/font]

[font=Tahoma, sans-serif]As to your assumptions, the income I receive is long standing and is likely to continue but it is not guaranteed or guaranteed at that level. [font=Tahoma, sans-serif]This inc[font=Tahoma, sans-serif]ome[/font][/font] is less secure as an income in some people's eyes than a job, but more so in other people's eyes. Saving money is one of the key motivations for making this change, but disengaging as much as possible from the “system” (going off grid) is also anther key motivation for me.[/font]
[font=Tahoma, sans-serif]I am not a US citizen. I have a green card though. I don't know what ObamaCare is.[/font]

[font=Tahoma, sans-serif]I will look into the rest of what you recommend.[/font]

I sincerely apologize for being presumptuous, I was wrong.

Not being a US citizen complicate things and moves it out of the realm of anything I can really help you with. What you need to do is be able to get health insurance and your medications with the $900 a month you are now paying for rent. I think that should be fairly easy but it's something I know very little about.

The rest of how to become a vandweller is easy and we would be glad to help you do it. But figuring out how to get insurance really is going to fall on you.

I qualified for ObamaCare. My insurance costs me $400 a month and the federal government pays $300 of it. My income is $24,000 a year. I think you would qualify to get government assistance, but I have no idea if non-citizens can get it. You're just going to have to do the research. Go to the website I gave you before and start there--healthcare.gov.
Bob