What about medications?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InchingCloser

Reaction score
I've been ruminating over this way of living for a couple of years and so far, I've watched several YT videos and read some accounts of people who have lived this way and who are living this way as a lifestyle choice. I have not been put off yet by what I have learned.

I currently have one major obstacle that will stop me from venturing out into this increasingly attractive way of living.
I have medicine needs for 2 chronic medical conditions. I do not work (have a small private income) but I do not receive any public money for financial support. I do however qualify to receive free medications and basic medical services from a charity in my area. The charity require me to be a resident of the county, which requires an address. In addition, they only ever give me one month’s supply of meds,, which means I must return to them each month to collect the meds in person (they cannot deliver), as well as attend clinic appointments.

The medications are way beyond my means to afford out of pocket.

Its unlikely I will be getting a job anytime soon that will provide health insurance and especially so if I do decide to live this way, since I plan to be on the move more or less regularly.

I am surprised that there isn't a forum for health and medicine on this site. I am in my early 50’s and I don’t think I qualify for medicare/medicaid as I have not lived in the US that long yet.

Any help you can offer or suggest would be welcomed.

Have you ever looked into applying to the drug company that produces your meds for one of their 'charitable med programs' (they each have a different name for their program). A g/f in Florida was able to link up with one for one of her meds that way. She certainly had to jump through hoops to get it but in the end she got her meds supplied for free.

The other thing is to think about what your budget will be like if you weren't tied to a sticks and bricks housing situation. Would living without rent and/or utilities free up enough income to cover the cost of the drugs.

The other thing to consider is how often you have to have clinic visits and for what. If the visits are just to get the med prescription renewed and you don't need to have blood levels or body functions checked then alternative methods of getting your meds might be feasible.

Since you didn't mention what drugs, I'm going to take a big leap here and wonder if a different lifestyle might change your need to be dependent on drugs. For example, living a less stressful life on the road can reduce the need for blood pressure meds.

Almost There said:
Have you ever looked into applying to the drug company that produces your meds for one of their 'charitable med programs' (they each have a different name for their program). A g/f in Florida was able to link up with one for one of her meds that way. She certainly had to jump through hoops to get it but in the end she got her meds supplied for free.

The other thing is to think about what your budget will be like if you weren't tied to a sticks and bricks housing situation. Would living without rent and/or utilities free up enough income to cover the cost of the drugs.

The other thing to consider is how often you have to have clinic visits and for what. If the visits are just to get the med prescription renewed and you don't need to have blood levels or body functions checked then alternative methods of getting your meds might be feasible.

Since you didn't mention what drugs, I'm going to take a big leap here and wonder if a different lifestyle might change your need to be dependent on drugs. For example, living a less stressful life on the road can reduce the need for blood pressure meds.

The charity I get my meds through is one of those med programs. They are simply the conveyor of the drugs as the drug company won't just send the meds to anyone who says they need it. I am sure they do this to prevent abuse. I don't see how I can qualify for other med programs without living in any particular area long enough. And I won't know where I will be going in advance either.
I really don't know anyone here so I can't use anyone as "my address".

The medicines are for diabetes and blood pressure. I don't know the real cost as I have never had to buy them directly. Just checked one vial of my insulin medication online and its around $280-300, which lasts me about a week. Unused insulin needs to be kept refrigerated too.
My current income is around $1800/month. Half of this goes to rent. The rest goes to utils, food, gas/vehicle related and misc. I have more or less nothing left each month.

The clinic checks my vitals once every 3 months, so I need to go or I will be refused medicine. Each clinic visit gives me a meds refill and qualifies me for 2 more refills.

I might not need my blood pressure meds but of course, I won't know until I do take that big step into this life.

Keep in mind that everyone, even those who live on the road full-time all year round for years and years still have to maintain a 'legal' land address for all the other things in life that require us to have a 'permanent' address. Things like a drivers license, banking, auto titles and insurance etc. etc. Some use a relatives' address, some use a service set up specifically for those who do not have a sticks and bricks home. Just because you go on the road doesn't mean that you don't get to have 'no fixed address'... :rolleyes:

Since you're already set up to have your drugs delivered through an intermediary, the next thing is to figure out where it would be easiest to live year round without having a S&B home. Arizona comes to mind from what I've learned here - you go up in altitude in the summer to escape the heat and drop down in winter to get away from the cold and lots and lots of BLM and forest service land to camp on for free. Yes, it still ties you to a geographic area but it would set you free from rent and allow you to live as a 'vandweller'.

As to refrigeration of insulin, I'm sure someone around here takes care of the same problem. I'd suggest that a compressor fridge is probably your best bet for good reliable refrigeration as opposed to trying to depend on an ice cooler.

It's all a matter of logistics - figure out what you want to do and then brainstorm how to achieve that!

As a type 2 diabetic I use 2 types of insulin Regular and NPH .I can purchase vials of Walmart Relion brand at Walmart for $24.88 each.No prescription needed. When I travel I have a small size 3 day cooler that actually has some ice still left at the end of the 3rd day. Walmart and some other pharmacys have $10.00 3 month supply on a lot of meds not just diabetic ones. I get 1000 mg Metformin ,10 mg Glucotrol and 5 mg Lisinopril for $30.00 every 3 months. Hope this is of some help . I notice when traveling my blood sugars are in much better control because I am not as stressed which will cause high blood sugars also . :)

Yes. See, Gramakittycat got several months supply. Many snowbirds have health needs and have their medications forwarded to the next location they will be at.

First, welcome to the forum!

Mexico sells prescription meds very cheap. I go down to Los Algodones in the winter and stock up, it's just south of Yuma, AZ. Lots of folks do the same. You don't need a prescription. You can bring back 3-months worth of meds with each visit. Don't try to bring back any controlled substances though; they will get confiscated (even with a prescription). You need a passport, of course. Los Algodones is also a good place to get eye glasses and dental work for much less expensive than in the US.

Here is a post that Bob did on Los Algodones a few years back -- http://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/s...co-for-dental-glasses-and-prescription-drugs/

Sometimes you need to get very creative. Maybe something like having a permanent address in your current town (with a mail forwarding company) for when you are close enough to get meds there, combined with going into Mexico during the cooler months (winter), combined with using a cheap US pharmacy (e.g., Walmart) when you are too far away from Mexico or your current town (official residence).

Suanne

gramakittycat said:
As a type 2 diabetic I use 2 types of insulin Regular and NPH .I can purchase vials of Walmart Relion brand at Walmart for $24.88 each.No prescription needed. When I travel I have a small size 3 day cooler that actually has some ice still left at the end of the 3rd day. Walmart and some other pharmacys have $10.00 3 month supply on a lot of meds not just diabetic ones. I get 1000 mg Metformin ,10 mg Glucotrol and 5 mg Lisinopril for $30.00 every 3 months. Hope this is of some help . I notice when traveling my blood sugars are in much better control because I am not as stressed which will cause high blood sugars also .  :)

I am curious as to what insulin you take? I don't know what Regular and NPH mean. I am unaware that there is generic insulin available. I am type 2 and have been on Lantus for years. I know the Relion brand but didn't know they made insulin. I am also on 1000mg Metformin, twice a day and a handful of other meds for blood pressure, which I believe are generic but still not cheap.

Here's my current list of meds.
Aldactazide, Amlodipine Besylate, Lantus, Metformin, Ramipril, Toprol XL, Victoza.

Suanne said:
First, welcome to the forum!

Mexico sells prescription meds very cheap.  I go down to Los Algodones in the winter and stock up, it's just south of Yuma, AZ.  Lots of folks do the same.  You don't need a prescription.  You can bring back 3-months worth of meds with each visit.  Don't try to bring back any controlled substances though; they will get confiscated (even with a prescription).  You need a passport, of course.  Los Algodones is also a good place to get eye glasses and dental work for much less expensive than in the US.

Here is a post that Bob did on Los Algodones a few years back -- http://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/s...co-for-dental-glasses-and-prescription-drugs/

Sometimes you need to get very creative.  Maybe something like having a permanent address in your current town (with a mail forwarding company) for when you are close enough to get meds there, combined with going into Mexico during the cooler months (winter), combined with using a cheap US pharmacy (e.g., Walmart) when you are too far away from Mexico or your current town (official residence).

Suanne

Thanks!

I don't desire to go to Mexico under any circumstances and 3 month's supply of meds is of no real value to me. Its a similar kind of trap to my current situation as I am geographically bound. So, unless there is a real generic version of insulin that I can take, I don't see how it will be possible for me to consider this lifestyle. The Sickcare industry, along with the government don't seek to cure anything, so we all end up dependent on them for our survival (a fact which fills me with rage) for the rest of our lives and thus, we can be controlled.

You can live extremely well on the road with $1800 a month if you are prepared to live cheap. You can probably easily live on $1000 a month and have $800 a left to spend on your medical needs.

Like Suanne said you can go to Algoodnes, MX very easily and very safely. I do it every year and buy a years supply of all my meds, get glasses and get dental. It's all pennies on the dollar compared to the USA.

If you go mobile you'll have an extra $900 a month to live on because you won't be paying rent. Join the Escapees
RV Club and become a Texas resident. My guess is you will qualify for Obama care and get a subsidy for health insurance, but even if not for less than $900 a month you can get a premium, high end insurance policy that will cover all your medical needs and give you freedom. You won't be at the mercy of a charity any more.

Move into the van or RV you choose and get set up with solar and a 12 volt fridge. Then you can keep your insulin cold.

Here is the website of the pharmacy I use in Mexico. Get their hone number and call them and find out what they charge for your meds. My guess is that you can easily afford to buy a years supply at a time. If you can't buy that much insulin, I'm sure you can get it pretty cheap (less than $900 a month!!!) at Walmart.
http://www.algodones.mx/detalle.php?ClaveCliente=13010

With your income and willingness to live cheap, you have a lot of options, you don't have to be a slave to that charity.
Bob

Just a little background...I am an RN who trained in the 70's.  I have seen the parameters of what is "normal" for blood pressure and blood sugar be lowered over and over until almost everyone could be a candidate for medications.  And with all that, I haven't noticed people becoming any healthier, in fact, just the opposite.  (The pharmaceutical companies, though, are thriving.)  The "normal" blood pressure, I was taught, was "100-plus-your-age" over whatever, less than 90 was fine.  After age 60, the systolic (top) number was expected to gradually come down.  Now, if your reading is over 120/70, you get meds.  Same with blood sugar.  120 used to be "normal," but now you are "prediabetic" and on Metformin or insulin if your blood sugar is that high.  

All this is to say that perhaps, if someone has readings in the borderline realm, it might be worthwhile to research alternative/holistic ways to keep your readings on the lower side and possibly reduce dependence on the expensive pharmaceuticals and those who dispense them.  I am not offering, and cannot offer, specific medical advice to anyone, but if you can find a doctor who is older and remembers the less stringent guidelines, he/she might be able to work with you to decrease meds.  

Also, while diabetes is not my specialty, it seems like there must be at least a couple relatively inexpensive types of insulin that would be suitable for you, unless you need special packaging (pens).

Don't be afraid to question your doctor(s) politely, explaining your financial limitations, and asking for help finding less costly alternatives.

RobBob

akrvbob said:
Like Suanne said you can go to Algoodnes, MX very easily and very safely. I do it every year and buy a years supply of all my meds, get glasses and get dental. It's all pennies on the dollar compared to the USA.

If you go mobile you'll have an extra $900 a month to live on because you won't be paying rent. Join the Escapees
RV Club and become a Texas resident.  My guess is you will qualify for Obama care and get a subsidy for health insurance, but even if not for less than $900 a month you can get a premium, high end insurance policy that will cover all your medical needs and give you freedom. You won't be at the mercy of a charity any more.

Here is the website of the pharmacy I use in Mexico. Get their hone number and call them and find out what they charge for your meds. My guess is that you can easily afford to buy a years supply at a time. If you can't buy that much insulin, I'm sure you can get it pretty cheap (less than $900 a month!!!) at Walmart.
http://www.algodones.mx/detalle.php?ClaveCliente=13010

With your income and willingness to live cheap, you have a lot of options, you don't have to be a slave to that charity.
Bob

But in order to have health insurance, I must have it as a resident in a particular state, don't I? I have largely disengaged from much of life in the past 5 years so I really have no idea what has happened to anything in society since then. But when I was working, health insurance was state-based. I have heard the expression "obama care" mentioned here and there but I have no idea what it is or how it applies to me/my issue.

If you or anyone has specific information about generic insulin, please share it. If there was a generic insulin for what I take, the charity I use would switch to it instantly, becvause the cost of lantus is horrendous.

Yes, not having t pay rent would free up that money for use elswhere. Although I don't think I can say I would have 100% of that money because things like gas and extra vehicle maintenance would eat into what I save in rent, etc.

InchingCloser said:
But in order to have health insurance, I must have it as a resident in a particular state, don't I? I have largely disengaged from much of life in the past 5 years so I really have no idea what has happened to anything in society since then. But when I was working, health insurance was state-based. I have heard the expression "obama care" mentioned here and there but I have no idea what it is or how it applies to me/my issue.

If you or anyone has specific information about generic insulin, please share it. If there was a generic insulin for what I take, the charity I use would switch to it instantly, becvause the cost of lantus is horrendous.

Yes, not having t pay rent would free up that money for use elsewhere. Although I don't think I can say I would have 100% of that money because things like gas and extra vehicle maintenance would eat into what I save in rent, etc.

Well, you have to be a resident somewhere no matter what so one picks a state that has better rules for interstate health care coverage. Which state that is, someone else will have to help.

Your statement that "If there was a generic insulin for what I take, the charity I use would switch to it instantly, becvause the cost of lantus is horrendous." confuses me. Earlier on when I mentioned drug companies having a charitable program where they provide the drugs at either reduced or no cost to eligible low income persons, you said that that was how you were getting your drugs now. The statement I quoted says that a charity is paying for your drugs. The charity may be getting your drugs at a reduced cost but that is not the same program as a direct from a drug company to you arrangement. Drug companies are not restricted by county.

And just as a point of interest, I googled 'generic Lantus' and lo and behold, the patent on Lantus runs out this year and there are at least 2 drug companies posed ready to introduce generic forms of the drug. This will push the price of Lantus itself way, way down.

Even if you never take advantage of the Mexican drug prices, the cost of your insulin is about to go way down!

As to how much of the current rent money would go to gas and maintenance over and above what it costs you now, that would very much depend on how much travelling you do. Some travel incessantly, never settling in one spot more than a few days before moving on...they're costs will be higher than someone who spends 2 or 3 months in one area even with abiding by the 14 day rules for most BLM and forest service areas. The main point is that you are in control of how much you spend. And at the price you're paying for rent, you could do a whole lot of travelling and still come out on top!

The first stop you should make is to the CAO=County Assistance Office, if you have no income you qualify for medical assistance and food stamps, look in the blue pages of the local phone book to find the CAO, but you MUST have proof of residency such as a rent receipt and/or utility bill/bank statement that shows your actual physical address.

If you have no income you are also entitled to a free place to live under the section 8 program of HUD. I am moving into a year round section 8 studio apartment for those 55+ next week, the rent is 30% of my adjusted Social Security Disability Insurance income less $89 per month for an electric allowance, there is an annual rent rebate of $650 via the Pennsylvania lottery, another $500 annual rent rebate has been proposed by Gov. Wolf. Since my main heating source is electric I also get a grant sent to the electric utility in November via the low-income heating assistance program.

When you count the rest of the entitlements available thru the Bureau of Aging. FREE medical, dental and vision, door to door transportation for medical assistance appointments, 1/2 rides of fixed bus routes (free when I reach 65 years old) etc. etc. all my benefits (the cost to hud for the apartment is $950/month alone) come to the same net pay as working a $15.hour job for 40 hours per week.

In conclusion, I will be living in a 400 square foot air conditioned apartment (in a small rural borough of 600 people with all services available in a very short level walking distance) and the building houses the county pop. 6000 senior center and a free hot lunch is served Monday thru Friday) with all utilities included for about $75 per month.

Ok I will tell you I was on Lantus several years back and when I got up to 120 units a day (Lantus is usually considered a once a day insulin) and my blood sugars went to 300 + I quit and went to regular and nph insulins>These are the most common insulins used. I too am an RN(retired) trained in the early '80s .I agree with RobBob's observations on "normal Parameters" .I can't give you medical advice but at least where diabeties is concerned you have a lot you can do to keep it under control. Losing weight,exersize even a bit of walking,and following a low to no carb diet.If you have not had any classes on carb counting among other things you should start there.Also you should be taught about each of your medications and what they are used for. I think you should have a real serious talk with your Dr. about your financial issues and if there are social services you can talk to.I see you are not from the US and I think they could help get you the help you need. I hope this answers some questions and wishing you all the best. I hope I'm not sounding rude and please don't give up!

Almost There said:
Your statement that "If there was a generic insulin for what I take, the charity I use would switch to it instantly, becvause the cost of lantus is horrendous." confuses me. Earlier on when I mentioned drug companies having a charitable program where they provide the drugs at either reduced or no cost to eligible low income persons, you said that that was how you were getting your drugs now. The statement I quoted says that a charity is paying for your drugs. The charity may be getting your drugs at a reduced cost but that is not the same program as a direct from a drug company to you arrangement. Drug companies are not restricted by county.

And just as a point of interest, I googled 'generic Lantus' and lo and behold, the patent on Lantus runs out this year and there are at least 2 drug companies posed ready to introduce generic forms of the drug. This will push the price of Lantus itself way, way down.

Even if you never take advantage of the Mexican drug prices, the cost of your insulin is about to go way down!

As to how much of the current rent money would go to gas and maintenance over and above what it costs you now, that would very much depend on how much travelling you do. Some travel incessantly, never settling in one spot more than a few days before moving on...they're costs will be higher than someone who spends 2 or 3 months in one area even with abiding by the 14 day rules for most BLM and forest service areas. The main point is that you are in control of how much you spend. And at the price you're paying for rent, you could do a whole lot of travelling and still come out on top!

I get a letter each year from Sanofi-Aventis, informing me that I am eligible to receive their medicine (Lantus) at no cost through their Patient Connection Program. They go on to say that the medicine will be delivered to my healthcare provider (the charity who I am with). I don't know how to get Lantus any other way that this. I doubt that Sanofi-Aventis has any program where they just send it to anyone who asks for it.

Well, I am glad that there will be generic Lantus out soon. The Wikpedia page says that the patent for Lantus expired Feb 2015 and so I don't understand why the generics aren't already out?

I have no way to judge at this stage how much traveling I will be doing and thus, I cannot judge if the savings in rent and utils are going to be saved, only partly used or almost totally used in travel and related costs. If the savings aren't going to be good enough, then it won't be worth doing this as saving money is a big part of this for me. And if I give up a home and all that goes with that, to go down this road but only to find that the savings aren't that much, I am going to be seriously p*****d, never mind having to face the daunting prospect of finding a home to rent somewhere, because I don't have a "recognized" income. My current landlord doesn't know I am not working. Yes I know I may find someone who is OK with my situation, but its going to be a lot harder than if I had an income from a job, etc.

gramakittycat said:
Ok I will tell you I was on Lantus several years back and when I got up to 120 units a day (Lantus is usually considered a once a day insulin) and my blood sugars went to 300 + I quit and went to regular and nph insulins>These are the most common insulins used. I too am an RN(retired) trained in the early '80s .I agree with RobBob's observations on "normal Parameters" .I can't give you medical advice but at least where diabeties is concerned you have a lot you can do to keep it under control. Losing weight,exersize even a bit of walking,and following a low to no carb diet.If you have not had any classes on carb counting among other things you should start there.Also you should be taught about each of your medications and what they are used for. I think you should have a real serious talk with your Dr. about your financial issues and if there are social services you can talk to.I see you are not from the US and I think they could help get you the help you need. I hope this answers some questions and wishing you all the best. I hope I'm not sounding rude and please don't give up!

I don't know on what basis I can determine what drugs I should be taking. Or how you did that. So I am puzzled by your statement.
I do not need health advice, thank you.

What makes you think I am not in the US?

InchingCloser said:
I get a letter each year from Sanofi-Aventis, informing me that I am eligible to receive their medicine (Lantus) at no cost through their Patient Connection Program. They go on to say that the medicine will be delivered to my healthcare provider (the charity who I am with). I don't know how to get Lantus any other way that this. I doubt that Sanofi-Aventis has any program where they just send it to anyone who asks for it.

Well, I am glad that there will be generic Lantus out soon. The Wikpedia page says that the patent for Lantus expired Feb 2015 and so I don't understand why the generics aren't already out?

I have no way to judge at this stage how much traveling I will be doing and thus, I cannot judge if the savings in rent and utils are going to be saved, only partly used or almost totally used in travel and related costs. If the savings aren't going to be good enough, then it won't be worth doing this as saving money is a big part of this for me. And if I give up a home and all that goes with that, to go down this road but only to find that the savings aren't that much, I am going to be seriously p*****d, never mind having to face the daunting prospect of finding a home to rent somewhere, because I don't have a "recognized" income. My current landlord doesn't know I am not working. Yes I know I may find someone who is OK with my situation, but its going to be a lot harder than if I had an income from a job, etc.
I can't answer the last part, only you know whether you're ready to move to a different lifestyle or not. Anything in life is a risk, even walking down the street. One can choose to set fear of the unknown and all the what-ifs aside or one can allow them to rule their life.

As to income source - a disability pension or other 'pension' income is often judged to be more dependable than a job...let's face it, in todays' world anyone, even top executives can be laid off on a moments notice.

But, since you are already with the patient connection program, your charity health care provider is not the one who is paying for the drug and the delivery of your prescription is moveable. Another health care provider will use the paperwork from the drug company to get your drugs for you. Or with the advent of the generic forms of the drug, you may find that it's affordable. And of course, a different lifestyle may very well alter the drugs that you take.

The reason that generic forms of the drug aren't already available is because the drug companies that are getting ready to release generic forms of the drug are still in the final stages of getting FDA approval for their version of the drug. There was some set backs because of various lawsuits that held things up. It's one of those things that doesn't necessarily run as smoothly as it could - after all Sanofi-Aventis, in their own best interests, have put as many stumbling blocks in the way of the other drug companies as they can. I was stunned to see the billions and billions of dollars in sales that they make each year off of the one drug.

You stated you have not been in the USA very long. If you are here legal, you should look into Social Security, Disability. I hope you get squared away for your medications. What ever charity you are with should be helping you connect.

RobBob said:
Just a little background...I am an RN who trained in the 70's.  I have seen the parameters of what is "normal" for blood pressure and blood sugar be lowered over and over until almost everyone could be a candidate for medications.  And with all that, I haven't noticed people becoming any healthier, in fact, just the opposite.  (The pharmaceutical companies, though, are thriving.)  The "normal" blood pressure, I was taught, was "100-plus-your-age" over whatever, less than 90 was fine.  After age 60, the systolic (top) number was expected to gradually come down.  Now, if your reading is over 120/70, you get meds.  Same with blood sugar.  120 used to be "normal," but now you are "prediabetic" and on Metformin or insulin if your blood sugar is that high.  

All this is to say that perhaps, if someone has readings in the borderline realm, it might be worthwhile to research alternative/holistic ways to keep your readings on the lower side and possibly reduce dependence on the expensive pharmaceuticals and those who dispense them.  I am not offering, and cannot offer, specific medical advice to anyone, but if you can find a doctor who is older and remembers the less stringent guidelines, he/she might be able to work with you to decrease meds.  

Also, while diabetes is not my specialty, it seems like there must be at least a couple relatively inexpensive types of insulin that would be suitable for you, unless you need special packaging (pens).

Don't be afraid to question your doctor(s) politely, explaining your financial limitations, and asking for help finding less costly alternatives.

RobBob

I fully accept the moving parameters, and invention of new ones, since I have a really dim view of the sick care industry. The pharma crooks also invent illnesses, when they have discovered some unexpected effect from their research into a drug.

My dose of insulin used to be 175 x 2 per day. My A1Cs were around 6 and my doctor wanted me to lose weight, so he gradually lowered my insulin dose, accepting that my blood sugars would rise (and they have of course). Simultaneously, I have made further changes to my diet and now eat in a Paleo/HFLC kind of way. All is well with that. I am now on 82 units x 2 per day. I don't seem to have lost any weight though.
Unfortunately, "my doctor" (I don't see the same one each time) isn't really operating like a private doctor would. These people set the agenda and tell me what it is. I have little to no input unless they want something from me, like cooperation to reduce my dosage.

I hear references all the time for people to "research" and "find out" this and that, but its not that simple when your situation makes it either not possible or its too risky. And how am I to judge the veracity and efficacy of something? Yes, the pharma crooks have us by the balls, but what alternative is there? It seems taking your life in your hands is what the alternative boils down to, with various substances and "remedies" that have little to no testing or anything other than anecdotal evidence to support their alleged efficacy. And I simply do not have spare funds with which to try out any possible alternatives. People often forget about this critical element when dishing out general advice.

And "finding a doctor" in my present situation is also a non-starter, since I have no way to pay them. That I would be able to and do so on an ongoing basis, is an assumption many people make, without having knowledge of the person and I find this to be, very, very annoying.

I would be front and center in pulling the trigger to get rid of all the pharma crooks, but we are far from that stage and taking high risks with my health is not on the agenda for me.