Wet room pan and drain

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas

Reaction score
Friends, I would like your input on a wet room base and drain for my box truck.  I’m leaning towards fabricating my own wet room base pan out of ¾” birch ply.  I’m confident that I can make a stiff, leak-proof base pan through good construction, good support, good joinery, pack the joints with and round them out with Bondo, and layer the whole assembly with epoxy resin (Carrera marble style).  For the drain I envision a tailpipe with a flange on it (all one piece), dropping through a tight-fitting hole through 2 layers of ¾” ply - all part of the pan - then Bondo’d and epoxy’d in place so that it becomes a permanent part of the shower pan – a monolith.  Then I cut an oversized hole through the aluminum truck bed so the tailpipe will go in without touching it, save for some great stuff around the pipe.  I think that the connection between the shower pan and the drain pipe is the key to avoiding a drain leak, and that I want to support and isolate that pipe from any rigid contact with my bump-slammin’ truck.  Beyond the tailpipe I envision a HepvO valve and a short run of white flexi-pipe to the gray water tank.  The obvious down side to this scheme is that should the connection between drain and pan fail, the fix would require removing a connection intended to be permanent – a real pain.
An alternative method would involve elevating the whole wet room base 4” to give me access to the underside of the base in order to change out a leaky drain.  I don’t know.  I’ve watched lots of videos in which a person attaches the drain to a thin plastic shower pan with putty on top and a nut on the bottom.  In those builds I think that stepping near the drain will flex the shower pan and break down that seal over time, as will the vibration of the tailpipe secured only with putty and a nut to a thin, albeit reinforced, layer of plastic.  But it looks pretty straight forward to fix every so often. 
My question is whether to make the pan and drain a bomb-proof monolith and bet the farm on it, or to make the drain an ancillary attachment and plan on repairing it periodically.  Please tell me what has worked or failed for you.

In my experience everything eventually breaks. Nothing wrong with making it bomb proof but keep it accessible as well as repairable. Nothing in this world is permanent.

I have to ask why build one? RV shower pans are relatively cheap and come in a range of sizes. For that matter residential pans would also work if they fit. Highdesertranger

Yeah I'm hip to one ready made.  I just quit looking for the size and configuration I wanted.  And so many out there look like I could bend them with my fingers, let alone my size 13's.  I wearied of shopping.  So I'll (probably over-) engineer one.  When the drain needs to be repaired, the concept "insert" comes to mind.

If your room is already built and you are stuck on building your own pan, then why the tailpipe, why not buy a proper shower drain with all the fittings from the plumbing section of your hardware store and install that the same way you would on a store bought pan. Am I missing something.

flying kurbmaster said:
If your room is already built and you are stuck on building your own pan, then why the tailpipe, why not buy a proper shower drain with all the fittings from the plumbing section of your hardware store and install that the same way you would on a store bought pan. Am I missing something.
Honestly, FK, I may have some kind of logic tic.  I do like the idea of making attachments with through-bolts and nuts.  But I just can't abide all the pieces parts.  Everyone I know who has a 2-story house has had a shower drain fail and ruin the drywall on the ceiling of their living room.  I swear $300K houses are made with shower drain fittings that seem designed to fail.  It happens to my mother's house every few years.  I would love to order an extruded aluminum shower pan with the drain and tail pipe being part of the extrusion, or welded on.   Such a thing would eliminate my mother's acquaintance with the plumber and the sheetrocker.  I searched for aluminum pans that I could modify and weld a drain onto, but again I grew weary of searching for the size and shape I want.

For part of the year I do apartment maintenance and renovation. We have complexes that are 2, 3, 4, and 5 stories tall with thousand of units total. I have been doing this since 2010, In that time we have had exactly 0 shower drain failures. Makes me kinda wonder why you see so many.

Highdesertranger

I know, right? Maybe that's part of the lure to leave Louisiana. At my last duty station, Ft Polk, my Soldiers lived in 4-year old (new) barracks and about half the rooms had a leak of some sort. Was it low-bid materials? Low-bid labor? I don't know, but I need to do a much better job on my project.

What HDR said. Except I have repaired a drain leak in a second floor vanity sink. The plumbing was installed in 1900 and not updated.

HDR. I was recently given a quote on a rental repair and the guy wanted $100 a SHEET to put up drywall. That didn’t include the price of the drywall or mud! What the hell! I know exactly how fast drywall goes up!

I almost threw up! Not happening!