We're all done.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great, nice job! I'd be tickled to call that home.

If the floor is a concern, I wonder if some non-slip mats/rugs might be something?

NIce job happy travels, I am not sure if this is relevant, I have a wood floor in my van that is slippery when you get in and out. I added a couple of handles to grab hold of when exiting or entering.

Beautiful job! I like the swivel counter top. You'll get a lot of use out of it. You'll also be very glad that you have door screens.

The woodwork looks like some real quality craftsmanship! Great layout and everything!!

Well Done!!

Very nice work!

Question: The screens look like they'll be very helpful... How did the zippers get on them? Did you do that yourself? If so, how? And if not, where does a person get screen material with zippers?

Thanks

Thoreau said:
If so, how? And if not, where does a person get screen material with zippers?

My question exactly. My van is exactly the same, albeit a few years older. They would make a great addition, especially when in FL.

Lifey

SoxAndNicole said:
Hum, the photo of the screen I want to use to explain the process doesn't show, I wonder if it will show once I hit post reply. I don't want to go on and on before I find out, so here's the test.

No need to take such chances. You will know if it works, when instead of hitting the 'post reply', you hit the 'preview post' first. I do that everytime I include a link, just to test to see if it works.

Lifey

Good advice Lifey,

I tried the edit function and I went on and on but I copied it before I posted it so here is the 3rd attempt.

Patrick, I used gel stain for all the wood except the counter top where I used regular stain and polyethylene. After everything was said and done I ended up with 3 different colors of wood, from very light to dark, so the gel did the job but boy that was a b"tch to deal with, messy product for sure.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAAE2KI/XMs7tYco7TY/s640/DSCN1194.JPG?gl=US

It's funny how it takes more time figuring out how to make something than actually do it.

I used screen from Lowe's, it is more rigid than the screen mesh from fabric stores and therefore easier to roll-up.

I cut the screen a few inches wider and longer than the door opening, that gave me playing room to install it. I placed the zipper on the screen a couple of inches smaller than the door opening, I kept the zipper (zipped up) in place with straight pins. I had to fight a bit to turn the corner and the result is not totally smooth but it works. It probably would have been easier if I didn't turn the corner as sharply as I did.

Do not cut the fabric under the zipper before you sew it together. It's not easy to align and sew a zipper on 2 separated pieces of fabric let alone mesh. I strongly recommend using the zipper foot on the sewing machine. I used a straight stich on the first pass, than I opened the zipper and cut the fabric. Lastly I used a zigzag stich and made more 3 passes.

The long zippers can be found at upholstery stores but they are very pricey...well to my wallet anyway. They are not exactly the right kind either, they only have a tab on one side of the zipper not like a tent's zipper. When we were jumping we stayed at Drop Zones that had Europeans staying for a few weeks at a time. A few of them would buy cheap tents and throw them in the garbage when they left. I hate waist so I would retrieve the tents and save the zippers. Long story to tell you that I now have a few and I have no use for them, so let me know if you'd like me to send you a couple to help with your project. You see if they stay here unused, it still a waist.

Do not hesitate to PM me if you need more details.

Good luck.

Lifey, are you in Florida? If you're not too far from here I might be able to give you a hand.

Cheers.

Nicole

SoxAndNicole said:
Lifey, are you in Florida? If you're not too far from here I might be able to give you a hand.

Cheers.

Nicole

Thank you Nicole.

My residence is in Melbourne..... not Melbourne FL.... Melbourne OZ, though I have been to Melbourne IA AR KY and FL. Not yet been to Melbourne ON.

I come over to the States almost every year to see two of my children and five of my grandchildren. In between visiting them for all the birthdays, etc., I trip around seeing the continent.... a bit like this.

Daughter lives in FL. One of the generous members on this site is baby sitting my van in my absence, also in FL. So that is where I will fly into. Son lives in MA.

That is not to say that I can't use some help. I just love the way you have your van set up. Mine is still a work in progress. But the screens is what caught my eye most. I am not able to do any work myself. As a septuagenarian grandmother with mobility issues, I am afraid I have to pay to get everything done. :( Had a great deal of help earlier this year from members who 'fixed' up my electronics setup. Such a generous bunch.

Lifey

Melbourne OZ is very pretty and so close to these beautiful fairy penguins at Philip Island. We were there many years ago.

Well if it works out on your next visit, you could stop by here and we could make and install the screen doors real quick. You are more than welcome to PM me the details.

Nicole,

Thanks for elaborating on how you put the zippers on the screens. (And thanks for the generous offer of sending the unused zippers to another van-dweller. I'm not sure if that was directed at me, but since I'm not quite ready for my build, I wouldn't trouble you for that.)

I also wonder if the zipper from an old or cheap sleeping bag (which could still function as a blanket even without its zipper) might work well for a door screen...which, after all, only needs, like the average sleeping bag, to be zippered on 2 sides (L-shaped).

Anyway, thanks again, and good luck on your adventures, and in enjoying the results of your creativity and handiwork.

Thoreau, yes on both accounts. The offer is for you and/or any vandweller who needs them. I have enough for 3 sets of 2 screen doors (one might be spoken for already) If someone needs them let me know. I have no use for them but someone else out there might. I'd be more than happy to forward them to that someone.

A sleeping bag zipper would work perfectly. One might even be long enough for 2 sides of one door.

Take care.

Nicole

Nicole (and/or others),

By any chance, had you considered Velcro tape to affix the screens...but chose zippers over them for functional reasons?

Or, does anyone have a basis for comparison on zippers vs. Velcro?

Thanks

Latest posts