Wellness checks are a good idea!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullfrog

Reaction score
I have a friend that doesn’t have anyone to check on his well being on a regular basis so I do. He generally lets me know where he plans to be and how long he will stay and calls when he arrives with some details or possible contacts he has made at his new location. In long term stay locations it may be neighbors check on him but when he travels we check in regularly. He had told me he might be traveling around the first of the month on our last call. When I didn’t receive a call I called him several times over a 24 hour period. Generally we make calls around 11AM and if no contact 7PM. I then call the nearest VA hospital admissions with his full name and date of birth to see if he has been admitted. Next I contact a local person. As an example this time it was the office of an RV park to get them to check on him. He was unable to deal with Covid 19 as it hit him unexpected quickly and being stubborn failed to realize he weakened quickly to a point he couldn’t deal with the situation. Fortunately he is alive and  has some help now and hopefully recover. We are in contact daily now. Our friendship started on the road. Might not be a bad idea to find a friend that can check on you especially during Covid 19 but in general as well.

Those on-the-road friendships are vital. Thank you for looking after your fellow humans!

I keep wondering how much longer I should put off getting one of those panic button things. I know I'll have to do it at some point. Right now I feel like I'm being paranoid, rationalizing that I don't really need it yet because Im not past 60 yet (it's coming fast enough). I love having time to myself out in the mountains somewhere, but I'm worried about something happening.

I am in text contact with my two sisters every night at 9:00 PM.
I use inReach because I am sometimes out of cell signal and it sends my GPS coordinates along with the message 'I'm OK'.

I had a small stroke last June, and I have 2 or 3 people check on me.

I plan to write up a Will and final instructions and place them in a visible place inside my RV, so that if any would happen to me while out on the road, somebody can get me home and buried.

Yea just lay me out and piles rocks on top of me.

great friend ya are Bullfrog! Cool and wishing a good recovery for him!

Getting old is a pain for sure but something as simple as a regular phone call with a plan of action gets rid of a lot of the risk.

Freelander said:
Yea just lay me out and piles rocks on top of me.

There is a pet cemetery here in Quartzsite and I went over and took a look one day. The piles of rocks weren’t always successful and there are some rather gruesome graves in there.

Might want to at least scratch down a little ways.