Well...it's finally happening...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eldervampire

Reaction score
So, tomorrow after months of thinking and considering my situation...I'm going out to buy a van and move into it. I've basically reached the end of my rope with my domestic situation, and now feel I really don't have a choice anymore.
My wife, or just two years has ruined my progress to build a better life and repair the very broken soul I have. I essentially have three weeks to piece together a decent living situation for myself and my K-9 life partner where I'll be ok, and he'll be safe and healthy while I keep working. I live in Chicago, so I've got a few months until the weather becomes bad enough that he'll be in any danger from being left in my Van. And Ill have the money before then to put enough into a solar set-up and have a 5000 btu A/C running during the day to keep him cool during the day, and I'll be able to go check on him any time during my shift. 
This isn't ideal...but I'm out of options..
Please, if any of you are kind enough to offer up prayers for me and my pal, they'd be greatly appreciated.
God bless you all and I hope you are blessed.

Hello Elder. Welcome to the forum. I hope you get what you’re looking for. As to five months before you need to do something about the canine in the van. I don’t want to be disrespectful in the way I say this but sunlight on the windows of a vehicle can make a huge difference in the temperature inside from the temperature outside. It isn’t just a sweltering month that are dangerous for a pet or a child in a car it’s bright sunshine also. And I don’t want to get you down but if you’re thinking of putting enough solar on to run a 5000 BTU Air conditioner all day. You better have a long vehicle with megawatts of solar panels because it ain’t gonna happen normally. Do some research on here on Bob‘s YouTube channel google air conditioning with solar and see what you come up with. I think you’ll find it not as durable as many people think. Now this is all my own opinion and if somebody disagrees with me I won’t be offended. I think you have some more research to do friend. And I do believe in the power prayer and I’ll mention you the one who listens to his prayers as my best friend.

Shop around the doggy day cares in your area. Also check want ads to see if someone will dog sit for a reasonable price while you work. Same thing we single moms had to do with our kids.

I would not trust the power, you would need an alarm that rings your phone and also an audible alarm on your rig at critical temp. It is possible but difficult I think.

Two birds with one stone: find driveway parking that will provide a fenced yard during the daytime. You will have to pay for this convenience, but would be worth it for your working time and may benefit the person who has the house by having someone dependable around and your dog in the yard. (You will have to clean up the yard daily)

Also check out "Boondockers Welcome" site for a similar arrangement.

I would avoid having pets in your van, even if the AC is on and the interior temperature is cool, do gooders will break out the windows of your rig to "rescue" your animal.

Link to a couple of the many vids on this subject.

-crofter

Your in my prayers it all works out best and it sounds like you are going to make that happen!!!

hey we all gotta do what we gotta do and you sound confident so move forward and smile while doing just that....new adventure and new life awaits you! Go all in and be happy!

good luck to you eldervampire! and as you said it's not ideal but you really have no choice...
jim

Do you have a relative or someone who can take the dog during the warm months and have him back with you during the cooler times? I just rehomed one of my 2 dogs b/c he wasn’t handling the traveling well, and it broke my heart.

I know you’re getting a van, and a car may be too small for a person plus a large dog, but I have seen videos where people run the A/C in a Prius for 8 hours. It runs off the battery and the car turns on just long enough to top off the battery and after 8 hours it’s only used a gallon or so of gas.

I wish they could come out with something like that for vans. That would be awesome.

Good luck.