well . . . here is my little Shangri La

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LMTLMT

Reaction score
I want to thank everyone on this site for the knowledge, advice and the inspiration.

I will be using this van for road trips across the US, not living full time.  I like to eat each regions' flavor so no kitchen.  For showering, I have 24HR Fitness membership and they pretty much have all over, if not, truck stop is fine.

This van was used by a gentlemen who has two rental properties.  He bought the van new and used for handyman type jobs for his two rentals.  He passed away and his wife sold it to me.  It has 61K miles, the shelving was barely used and the rubber floors looked brand new.  It was well maintained too.  The wife gave me every service records from the dealership.

With the help of a friend, two roof vents (Fantastic) with Covers were put in.  This is just a vent, no fan, non powered.  Since the van has no paneling, the trim piece was not used.  I didn't like the screws spiking down, who knows I might bumped into it not paying attention or stumbling drunk coming back from a bar or something lol, so I used some windshield fluid hose, trim and fit as a sleeve.

I had some Reflextic laying around so I just spray glued them to cover the inside cutout holes.  I know its not insulation, just to cover those ugly holes lol.

The bed - I bought a Tri-Fold mattress/sofa from Amazon ($99), it folds out to a full size bed and in the sofa position, its not that bad!

I have two sleeping bags.  One is rated for 30 degrees and the other is 60 degrees.  I have a third for backup.

Got the grey floor rug ($29), small black door rug ($1.50) and shag fur rug ($15) from IKEA.  Got the pillows from IKEA as well ($4/$9).  Got the white fur rug to make me think I have an expensive living room like them rich folks lol. 

I used a cheap blanket ($6) from IKEA to block out the rear windows (folded twice).  I used magnetic bars (free from Harbor Freight) and binder clips to hold them up.  Works great!  To cover the side window and bulkhead, I bought two bath towels from Big Lots $4 ea.  This side window I used magnetic bars and the bulkhead I used just binder clips.

This little stool ($5) is also from IKEA and I use it for putting on shoes and place to sit when changing.

Behind the sofa/mattress, I have an emergency toilet, plenty water jugs, bottled water and jumper cables.  I used a $4 IKEA zippered blue storage bag to keep all of them neatly together.

For lighting, I will put two LED flashlight (the blue ones from Harbor Freight, FREE), they have magnets so just stick them anywhere inside.

As for my clothes, shoes and misc items, I will be using two additional IKEA blue zippered bags and place them by the side door entrance.

So that's pretty much it.  I'm a simple guy and don't need much!  See ya'll down the road.  

View attachment 11260

View attachment 11261

View attachment 11262

View attachment 11263

cool quick and simple build. And man, that has got to be the cleanest used van I've seen, inside and out!

Very nice! Hope you get to have many adventures together.

That's a great build - simple and effective.

If you don't mind me asking, which fitness center are you using?

Also, can you provide the link for your tri-fold bed? I'm recently divorced and without a bedroom set - currently sleeping on the floor in a sleeping bag. I'm going to be mobile in a few years and wouldn't mind trialing a $99 convertible couch/bed frame those years.

I'll probably also try out a hammock setup.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

JesseTrue said:
That's a great build - simple and effective.

If you don't mind me asking, which fitness center are you using?

Also, can you provide the link for your tri-fold bed? I'm recently divorced and without a bedroom set - currently sleeping on the floor in a sleeping bag.  I'm going to be mobile in a few years and wouldn't mind trialing a $99 convertible couch/bed frame those years.

I'll probably also try out a hammock setup.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I have 24 Hour Fitness membership which is great for traveling as they have many locations thru out the U.S.  I normally frequent the Lawndale or Torrance locations.

Tri-Fold link: https://www.amazon.com/Merax-Tri-Fo...4969043&sr=1-8&keywords=folding+mattress&th=1

After looking at the side window w/Bath Towel covering, I didn't like it, I got some black foam boards instead and looks better.

Congrats, looks like a great find!

Might want to trim those vent screws down...that's surely a cuss-fest just waiting till you least suspect it ;)

BradKW said:
Might want to trim those vent screws down...that's surely a cuss-fest just waiting till you least suspect it    ;)

I know right!? lol.  Let's see how well the sleeves works.  The hose is thick and has about 1/4" extended from the screw tips.

I think you've got the fix, LMTLMT, for all those stuck in analysis paralysis overthinking what they need to just get going. Looks comfy and uncluttered. And makes me sort of want to visit an IKEA store (haven't been in one in decades when I lived near Seattle). LOL

I put in some IKEA curtain panels to cover the Reflextic today.  Folded out the Tri-Fold and I must say, its not bad at all.

View attachment 11295