Welcome to me

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolverine307

Reaction score
I (hopefully) plan to be at least a semi-regular here picking everyone brain.

Here's my deal....

I'm a 60 y/o retired single military man. In a smidge less than 21 months I'm eligible for SS. Between the two sources of income ($2500/month), I should be able to make it on the road, or so I'm lead to believe by some of the posters on FB (which is how I found this web site).

I have a paid for condo up here in da boonies of northern MI, so I have a place to return to if I ever get sick, injured, or just want a break from living on the road. Besides spending 21 years in uniform bouncing around the country I was also a truck driver. I've been to every state. The only one I haven't set foot in, however, is Alaska. I only changed planes in the Anchorage airport.

Being a military retiree I have health insurance and access to the military commissaries around the country. That should reduce the food bill, or so I'd think. I was also a member of the submarine fleet. Hence, living in tight, cramped quarters is hardly new to me. 

Since I don't know what I don't know, I'm just gonna lurk, for the most part and learn. 

Currently, I drive school buses. I promised myself that I'd figure out what I want to do when I grow up when I complete the 2018-19 school year. It's shaping up like I've found the answer.

Welcome to the tribe.

We all have this in common.....we all want the freedom to move around, freedom from the rat race.

Include a fair number like me that also have an unstoppable need to be a nomad.

So welcome.

Welcome wolverine! Glad to have another veteran on the forum. There seems to be quite a few of us here!

Cramped quarters is right! When I was stationed in Hawaii I lived in one of those high rises over Pearl Harbor for awhile. I used to go down to the base and one day my sis and I were passing a sub and the sailor on deck asked us if we wanted a tour. Well hell yes! It was a nuke sub of course and I think the part that surprised me the most is the teensy little bunks that you only owned for 12 hours before you had to give it up to the next guy. Dang, not even your own bed! Another thing was that by looking thru the periscope we were able to see all the way into our high rise condo! We started shutting the curtains at night after that [emoji15][emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was stationed at Pearl Harbor. I lived in the Manana Heights Housing Area in Pearl City. I was the sole medical guy aboard one of those fine vessels. The "hot racking" part is reserved for the junior personnel during deployments. They put "racks" (beds) in the Torpedo Room and you'd have a six-hour "shift" to sleep. Heaven help you if your sleep time meshed with the Torpedomen's need to do maintenance or test water slugs.

That's neat! What years were you there? I lived in one of those high rises in Aiea. I think the Lilipono building or something like that. I was there from 82 to 85.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the CRVL Forums   :) 

From what you have stated,  I'd say you could go in any style you'd like and be comfortable.

My best advice,  start with week end camp outs and day trips.  Many of the State & National Parks offer
Senior Discounts Monday-Thursday.  This leaves Friday-Sunday for the families and kids.  You could get the
feel of travel by visiting all the Parks within a 50 mile radius of your home checking them off one by one. 
So you'd have some driving your rig and making some stops along the way for ice and food etc to simulate
being on the road. 

Going on the road won't be much much more difficult when you decide to do some cross country travel to
more distant Parks.  Then by this time you may try some "rough camping" along the way in areas that aren't
actually camping spots or are just available to park on overnight.  

I have two websites below I'd welcome you to look through for any ideas which may help you. 
The first is setting up a basic Van and outfitting a Cargo Trailer (as a support vehicle)

The second is a portal of useful info & links.  This can be used for planning before leaving or resorting to while on the road to make life easier.

All the best !

Welcome wolverine to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Welcome!
Reads like you'll be "able to [more than] make it on the road"!

Welcome aboard wolverine !

You're set , income in the area of any rig , do anything and go anywhere status.
Did you say doctor?
You will be a good asset to the tribe.

Lurk if you want but I encourage you to post questions and answer any other threads you have knowledge or interest in.

rvpopeye said:

You're set , income in the area of any rig , do anything and go anywhere status.
Did you say doctor?

Lurk if you want but I encourage you to post questions and answer any other threads you have knowledge or interest in.

Thank you. Here are my first thoughts...

I'd like to ease into this. I understand that it's not something I'm gonna do next week. My current plan is to go "live" 6/19. Being a career military man and a OTR truck driver for about 16 years, I've seen most of the country already. Two places I'd like to see, however, are Key West and Juneau.

I'm in the process of looking into the feasibility of spending a winter in Key West. Being a military retiree I have access to the base campground and various base facilities. It does appear that the Key West base campground is seasonal though. It appears that I can do some workcamping by working for MWR on base to reduce expenses and make connections.

Has anyone spent time in Key West?

Brad lives there.

I've heard good things about the base campground there but not Mil so never been there.
Being a Parrot Head not required but helps!

rvpopeye said:

Did you say doctor?

I'm not a physician. I don't even play one on TV!! I was the sole medical provider aboard a submarine.

;)
Would you use the Cars or Little Mermaid Bandaids?
Personally , I'd prefer the Van Bandaid but they don't make it yet.

AND
Did you ever hunt for Red October????

You don't have to answer ,I just need to confirm "I Ain't Right" periodically...... :cool:
Yes , we have a club and Stinkin' Badges and everything!
You are welcome to join if you think you might qualify.
Post a reason on the 'You Ain't Right" thread.

Again Welcome aboard ....

As you said; Welcome to You. :)
From your stated income, you should have zero problem affording the van life style. There are folks here living on a fraction of your income.