Welcome :D

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nature

Reaction score
Hello,

not a vandweller yet, I have about 2 years of studying left. I plan on using that time to save up money, buy a van and start converting it. So that buy the time, I graduate, I'll be ready to move into a van fulltime.
I've done a fair bit of hiking and bike travelling. Both require one to pack way less than with the cargo space of van, so I'd imagine, that it would be quite spacious. It would be much larger than my 50 liter backpack or the 4 bike bags, both of which proved to be more than enough for multimonth trips :p

I've a parttime job, which goes in the area of my studies and it's mostly online apart from a meeting every few weeks, so that should translate to similar working conditions but better pay after graduation, as I could continue working there. Quite nice.

Yeah, always been more of an outdoor natureloving person. My parents frequently moved, so maybe that's where my desire to move around comes from. Been living for a few years in the same city now and I'm getting restless :D  Not to mention, that I don't even like the city nor use most of what it can provide.

Now Corona comes along and it's all home office with the studies. Which eliminates any reason to stay in the flat in the current city. If the situation stays this way, I might speedup the timeline and go for an earlier build, as there's nothing keeping me in the current place.
So why not start now? There's financial constraints: At this point in time, I cannot afford to buy a van and convert it, even when doing the conversion myself.

Anyways,
so much for the time beeing.

Looking forward to a fun time

Hello “nature” welcome to the forum, from “nature lover”. I understand about moving from a backpack to a van and it seems like it’s a lot more space. The problem is I moved from a backpack to a tent then to a larger tent then to a Safari van which is smaller than most. Then to a full-size Dodge van high top conversion. And I can tell you from experience if you have space you will fill it, Unless you’re very disciplined - space Begats stuff. Many people are looking for a way to make more space in their vehicle or pull something behind it for more space I know the feeling. Discipline yourself, I have none of that.

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the CRVL Forum    :)

You are in a very good position to be getting yourself ready now.  Don't worry about money now or the rig so much.  The Van's will always be around and jobs/money will be there.  Consider gaining skills that would make it possible for you to be a remote worker, or even a small biz person/entrepreneur so you could work from your rig
and even possibly holding a part time job. 

Remember too, your first Van rig doesn't have to be the "dream rig".   Perhaps something "cheap" and adequate for working around in your region as a starter rig could be a learning experience so as you make enough money to buy a bigger better rig you could sell the starter rig to someone else. 

I would offer you to check out the two links below. The first for converting Van's, Trailers, motorizing a bicycle, building a car rig (a Bug-Out rig)  and my own story. 

The second is a portal of handy information to use at home to plan,  or on the road to revise your plans.  It contains info to make your travels more safe, convenient, and comfortable.

I took off in my old Van rig right out of school myself a long time ago.  There were few people doing it then.  Many people whom I interviewed with had a hard time believing what I was doing with an old Ford Van.  Had I been in a VW Camper Van (that was purpose built) they may have been more able to relate to it.  But my rig was more stealthy than an RV and they hadn't seen that before.