Weight estimate on this camper?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squid

Reaction score
Northland 6'6" ;  here it one pictured on a Silverado 1500, looks like it's dragging this truck down (but have an F250 shortbox superduty).   It has no wet or dry bath.  Wonder what the weight is? 
The new palomino backpack has ridded itself of cabinet doors in lieu of stretchy netting, idea to reduce weight?
Trying to get the right weight arrangement.  Want to travel around solo but sometimes will need to take up to three other adult passengers (in extended cab), and with them and their stuff that could be another 600 lb.  The "sometimes passenger" issue is why to stay camper-light even with a 3/4 ton truck, and might consider sometimes pulling a small trailer for spillover sleeping.  Also did want to offroad a little so got a 4x4 and do not want a real massive/tall camper that sways and all that.  
As far as the no-bath issue, was thinking of the bucket method stowed in the bench and a blow up bathtub and sprayer (which weighs 4 lb as opposed to a 200 lb wetbath).  Ordered one to see how it works at home, it has a drain to which you can attach a hose, will report in a week or so.  It looks like you might be able to soak without much water, and just use a cup to wash hair.  Maybe this simple arrangement built into the bench seat with a pad over it for seating use (line "funnel" with tp then toss away with a biodegradable doggie bag inverted over hand) or just use it for pee then put the cap on and carry it to restroom toilet to flush.   So no need to empty black tanks.
5NB6tk.png
[img=277x350]https://kek.gg/i/s7vg2.png[/img][img=255x354]https://kek.gg/i/6Dbghh.png[/img]

The netting will save some weight over cabinet doors, and some money on the sticker price. If I were to build something, I would use the netting and avoid the hassle of the cabinet doors. Being a much older truck camper, I can't really say what that one might weigh. I suggest this website, chock full of truck camper info: https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/ Space in a truck camper is very tight. The inflatable bathtub? I would look around at other choices, not sure it would last very long and a leak in a trailer isn't good. Bucket toilet is the least complicated, cheapest and can be kept clean unlike the more complicated ones, it just comes down to personal preference. Are you looking for used or new and what weight limits do you have to work with?

Snow Gypsy said:
The netting will save some weight over cabinet doors, and some money on the sticker price.  If I were to build something, I would use the netting and avoid the hassle of the cabinet doors.  Being a much older truck camper, I can't really say what that one might weigh.  I suggest this website, chock full of truck camper info:  https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/  Space in a truck camper is very tight.  The inflatable bathtub?  I would look around at other choices, not sure it would last very long and a leak in a trailer isn't good.  Bucket toilet is the least complicated, cheapest and can be kept clean unlike the more complicated ones, it just comes down to personal preference.  Are you looking for used or new and what weight limits do you have to work with?

Used of course, spent too much on the truck .  Having a '98 Class C which has had many mechanical issues does not engender great confidence in the boonies.  
Admit to being a lost puppy afa the perfect camper.  At least the truck is superb but spendy so when pricing these new campers at the same or more than the truck was greatly shocked!

Try google for the weight. Short boxes mean less camper space, but if you have a used one to fit it also likely means less weight. An F250 perhaps with minor modifications like load springs (an extra 'leaf' in the rear) is probably good. A shop that can do the leaf spring modifications would be a good place to ask. New dealers would be as well. Properly rated tires are also important.

I like the pop up campers. There are external shower options. I most always camp where an outside shower and toilet are preferable.

By the way that brand of camper only weighs 1450lb but it's stricly 6' so I'd have an 8" gap between the cab and front of the camper...so still looking for this weight range.  I don't want some topheavy monstrosity warbling down the road rocking back and forth that's some 17' high like these ginormous Arctic Fox-s I see.  Wow.

Mod Note: Removed complete quote of first post. No need to quote either first post or yourself. Please see forum notes for better use of quoting! - Nomadventurer.

Have you looked at Eureka Campers?

They are very light, and have very minimal 'coach' sub-systems.

I was interested in buying one, but they seem to have poor levels of customer communication before the sale...imagine what it would be like after the sale if you have a problem.

Next up the weight ladder, (for hard-side slide-ins) was the Travel-Light range of slide-ins...

But I'm not sure I want to buy a bottom level camper that was built by the 'lowest bidder'...they look good, but that corrugated fiberglass on wood could be a problem in a few years. Just sayin. They do have some laminated models, and of course they do cost more. 

Of course there is no perfect solution.

I went with an ARE DCU large commercial truck topper made from aluminum, and installed what I wanted, which was minimal. And I still have about 1000 pounds of stuff including the shell!

Plenty of room on the ladder rack for solar panels.

2018-03-06 14.01.53.jpg2018-03-07 08.57.20.jpg2018-03-07 08.57.30.jpg2018-03-10 11.51.13.jpg

Attachments

• 2018-03-06 14.01.53.jpg
    2018-03-06 14.01.53.jpg
    50.2 KB
  • 2018-03-07 08.57.20.jpg
    2018-03-07 08.57.20.jpg
    67.1 KB
  • 2018-03-07 08.57.30.jpg
    2018-03-07 08.57.30.jpg
    68.6 KB
  • 2018-03-10 11.51.13.jpg
    2018-03-10 11.51.13.jpg
    63.5 KB
Camper Roundup in Amarillo. The owner's name is Dean. 

But any ARE dealer can order one for you.

They have a LOT of options that vary in price...your choice of size, shape, windows, doors, metal thickness, racks, toolboxes, vents, lights, locks, etc. 

You get to spec the topper exactly the way you want it, including paint color. (paint matching does cost extra)

http://www.4are.com/product/commercial_aluminum/?cp=dcu

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/37239-A-R-E-Aluminum-DCU-“camper-lite”-build

Have you looked into the corrugated plastic for the inside of that cap? Folks are saying the stuff adds good insulation from noise and heat/cold in addition to being feather-weight.
Might improve your setup.

(The cap is sweeeeeet BTW. Love that height.)
Like the wonder pup also.

Yes, I've been working on that the last few days. Installing insulation, and some corrugated plastic in a few places where it makes sense due to clearance and weird angles and curves. It has really 'brightened' up the inside. 

I plan to install a large sheet of the 'coroplast' in the ceiling, but I have to order the 4x8 sheets, no one within several hundred miles of me has it in stock as far as I can discover.

I bought some 30x36 inch sheets at a Lowes, 75 miles from me...I'm kinda in the boonies! 

I spent one night so far in the topper, it was about 40 for an overnight low, and about 50 in the camper with no heat.

I fired up the Wave 3 on low and it got toasty in there pretty quick!

One of the reasons I went with this style is the ease of keeping it livable. I expect it to stay comfy down to much lower outside temps than my van....we will see.

I have been in a 8 foot no bath/shower Six-Pac for the last 4 years and yes I overloaded it it weighs 1350 dry meaning full icebox and water on my 3/4 ton standard pickup I needed air bags on a 1/2 ton I would get springs and airbags and keep the hoarding to a minimum most newer 1/2 tons I look at have extended cabs a new looking bed like never used for anything with a topper I guess it's "a cool thing" so I believe the main pickup truck makers are going after that market. I don't know why they call them trucks anymore. I have moved on to a TAILGATOR commercial topper with opening side windows and thick aluminum sides and roof with ladder racks. I am able to sit on a small stool and sleep vertically with just enough room.

wagoneer said:
 I have moved on to a TAILGATOR commercial topper with opening side windows and thick aluminum sides and roof with ladder racks. I am able to sit on a small stool and sleep vertically with just enough room.

Pics!

Especially when you sleep vertically.....I wanna see that!

:p

Latest posts