wear on edge of tire

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ella1

Reaction score
Noticed the left front tire (Chevy Astrovan) is getting worn on the outside edge. None of the other tires are showing much wear, and none like that that I could see.
What do I need to do?

ArtW said:
front end inspection, maybe alignment

I've seen new vehicles whose alignment should be in spec with horribly worn front tires outer edges.

Then I saw the way the drivers drove.

Power steering might make turning around easy, but lock to lock spinning the wheel without moving, shreds the tires.

Outer edge wear is usually alignment related though. Too much tow in, where the tires point toward each other.  This make steering more responsive, at the expense of the tires.

do astrovans have front struts? if so it could have too much camber

Gary68 said:
do astrovans have front struts? if so it could have too much camber

check the air pressure,if its low that could be it
get an alignment

Not to disagree with Gary68. I agree with always checking all tire pressures before troubleshooting. Including the spare, just because it gets ignored until it is needed.

Usually, underinflation alone will wear both edges of the tread. Overinflation wears the middle on the tread.

SternWake said:
I've seen new vehicles whose alignment should be in spec with horribly worn front tires outer edges.

Then I saw the way the drivers drove.

Power steering might make turning around easy, but lock to lock spinning the wheel without moving, shreds the tires.

Outer edge wear is usually alignment related though. Too much tow in, where the tires point toward each other.  This make steering more responsive, at the expense of the tires.

What does " lock to lock spinning the wheel without moving" mean? I'm taking it in this morning, and ask about an alignment.
Thanks.

Lock to lock spinning means sitting in your parking spot turning the wheels all the way to lock (the poont where they won't turn anymore) without rolling back or forward, it's hard on tires, power steering pumps, and steering components
As far as I know Astros do not have struts, but conventional upper and lower control arms with shocks and springs
Wear on both edges of a tire would indicate under inflation, wear on the outer edgse of both tires would indicate excessive toe in, but on one tire I'm thinking your camber is off on that side

2 of my astros had passenger side, front, outside tire wear. I kept them inflated right and aligned, it helped, but I never fully solved the problem.

bent control arm maybe, or your alignment shop might not have been so great
Unless this is common on Astros, and someone knows why?

I would think camber is off. Other than that making mostly right hand turns will do the same thing

They rotated the tires, said the wear was from low pressure. Thanks for your suggestions.
That link can be very helpful.