We want to furnish the caravan with bamboo furniture

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katiejohnson

Reaction score
We are considering buying a new trailer. We want to furnish it with bamboo furniture so that it has a different and retro style. Bamboo furniture gives a rustic image and is a very useful and natural material. I want to hear your thoughts on this?

ori-futonbett-aus-bambus-115x215-cm-balyss-2216.webp

Bamboo has a real advantage over solid wood furniture, plywood or composite board in that it is very lightweight.
Your primariry difficulty will be in securing it firmly in place to resist vibration and movement. Because the fibers in it can split apart much more easily than a piece of wood typically used for furniture construction it is not all that great at screw holding. So you might want to consider some type of band clamp that can be attached to a bracket around any full diameter pieces. Securing it for travel is a problem that can be solved through some research. As I have not had a need to do that research I have no recommendation of what specific hardware products to use. You could also come up with some artfull rope work notting around the pieces to secure it in place to cleats or bracketson walls and floors. That could look very nice in combination with bamboo futniture and will be more labor than dollars.

Bamboo bicycle frames joints are made using hemp rope soaked in fiberglass resin. It shouldn't be difficult to design in tabs or loops to secure interior items. Bamboo does have a life span and needs protection from weather and sunlight I have found.

I love bamboo furniture! Remember the Golden Girls had a nice bamboo sofa?

It does not hold up to frequent changes in humidity going from one extreme to the other. But that is also true of wood furniture. Technically Bamboo is a grass, not a wood.

Sometimes people call rattan furniture bamboo furniture but it is not. I believe the Golden Girls set had a rattan couch. But my golden years brains need a double check on that.

For a while when I was on layoff at my primary career job I took a side job restoring antique wicker furniture which is yet another member of the grass family of furniture construction materials.

maki2 said:
Bamboo has a real advantage over solid wood furniture, plywood or composite board in that it is very lightweight.
Your primariry difficulty will be in securing it firmly in place to resist vibration and movement. Because the fibers in it can split apart much more easily than a piece of wood typically used for furniture construction  it is not all that great at screw holding. So you might want to consider some type of band clamp that can be attached to a bracket around any full diameter pieces. Securing it for travel is a problem that can be solved through some research. As I have not had a need to do that research I have no recommendation of what specific hardware products to use. You could also come up with some artfull rope work notting around the pieces to secure it in place to cleats or bracketson walls and floors. That could look very nice in combination with bamboo futniture and will be more labor than dollars.
Thank you for your priceless advice...