We are new

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.I wanted to post in my own new person thread but I changed my user name. I echo some of your concerns. I'm Not in a position to take off but am very interested. My main motivation is feeling like a fish out of water in my "corporate" job. Dreading every day, fear of losing my job in a (right to work state) which is really a right to fire law. Watched so many videos weighing the pros and cons of the many choices. I m an artist so climbing the Corp ladder is not in my DNA. My job is just a pay check to keep my head above water. Living in a van feels more aligned with my spirit than being a cog in the wheel. I will continue gathering data for the future. Glad to hear similar stories of hard to make ends meet and how long will this be sustainable.

sometimes you have to give it up to the universe. Do what you want to do and damn the torpedos to sight into the bad of it all and fire away but realize you can live as you want. Sometimes it might be tougher but what crap are ya giving up for the better of the tougher? sounds confusing but it boils down to stop the being afraid and just damn well do it :) I am this type and when I jump in a bit (my one and only 13 yr old kiddo with school is my focus right now) but as soon as I can...oh boy we are going hook line and sinker for directly what we want. So how bad do you want what you want? We know what we want and are leaping full speed in a short while..can't wait...ready to launch LOL

painting_onthelam:

Go ahead and make your tiny home on wheels, either using a vehicle you already have or finding one you can afford now. Once it is set up in camper mode, use weekends and vacation time to get your "sea legs" and to tweak it to suit you best. You'll be surprised how much less you will stress about the right-to-fire law and losing the job. At this point, if I should lose my job, I will see it as a sign from the universe to retire early and hit the road. Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose! I would be a lot more stressed if I didn't have the ability and gear to switch my RAV4 to camper mode whenever needed.

Thanks GypsyJan for your reply. With out spilling all my personal life issues, I have a few things I need to contend with. I'm fine with learning and preparing right now.

painting_onthelam said:
.I wanted to post in my own new person thread but I changed my user name. I echo some of your concerns. I'm Not in a position to take off but am very interested. My main motivation is feeling like a fish out of water in my "corporate" job. Dreading every day, fear of losing my job in a (right to work state) which is really a right to fire law. Watched so many videos weighing the pros and cons of the many choices.  I m an artist so climbing the Corp ladder is not in my DNA. My job is just a pay check to keep my head above water.  Living in a van feels more aligned with my spirit than being a cog in the wheel. I will continue gathering data for the future. Glad to hear similar stories of hard to make ends meet and how long will this be sustainable.

I understand

Update: Me and my wife have got a ford transit connect xlt now and plan on making it into a camper van , yes it is small but it is what we could afford and now comes the building part of it lol. I still have concerns about going up in elevation because my wife has heart failure and her heart is only working at 20% and the doctor is wanting to put a defib in her and said it would help her and for her to be careful about going up in elevation because of the thin air and i think he miss understood us when we said going up a mountain , like he thought we was talking about hiking lol but i was trying to explain we would be going up in a van and camping but still did not understand us lol. So my question is does any one have this problem and what did you do to solve it???

The air is thinner and makes breathing harder......Heart pumps harder...……...EVEN FOR HEALTHY PEOPLE!!!!!

Good Luck.....Be Careful...…..

Thank you Abnorm for that and the Dr said she could give my wife some pills for alltitude and oxy also to make the transition easier for her

I would think one of those oxygen tanks with the little nose feeder would help.

You are going up in elevation, just driving there. The air is thinner the higher you go. I know I get winded real easy just walking around.

Have some savings for emergencies. Check out Wanderlust Estate on YT. He does vandwelling and works. He uses an app(s) to find work, day labor and such.

james54ono said:
be careful about going up in elevation because of the thin air 
Southern Arizona is lower in elevation, especially along the Colorado River areas. The town of Yuma is only 141 feet in elevation. The mountain towns are higher. Tuscon about 2500 and Flagstaff 6900. A route that is lower in elevation would be to go through Las Vegas (2000 feet) and not through Flagstaff if you are coming from the north. Have fun getting your van set up!   -crofter