Water proofing my high top!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twebster

Reaction score
I'm in need of some advice. I bought a 1977 Dodge Tradesman 200 that has a high top. It is apparent that the high top leaks as well as the windows in the high top. In thinking of taking the high top off & revealing it with butyl tape, stainless steel screws & caulking it. Is there any other ideas out there? I want to do it right but it would be nice if there was an easier fix then what I have in mind. Thanks for the input!

Nope, no easy fix!

Unscrew it all the way round, raise it up on 2 x 4s, clean up the old butyl tape. Install all new butyl tape all the way around and then put in new screws and probably replace the trim cover strip.

While you've got it off, make sure you deal with any rust issues that have arisen because of the water leaks.

Buy marine grade butyl tape, not the stuff from the RV stores.

The windows need to be removed, cleaned up and re-installed with the same butyl tape that is used for the top install.

I had to have one window re and re'd and I wish now that I'd taken the time to do the top as well. It's not leaking all the way around, just in 2 places in a heavy driving rain if the van is parked uphill so that the rain runs in. With the interior built and in place, it's not a possibility to do it now unless I gut the entire top...sigh!

Something permanent that will have to be cut off is windshield ribbon, used in the late 1960s to glue in and seal GM windshields.

Almost There said:
Nope, no easy fix!

Unscrew it all the way round, raise it up on 2 x 4s, clean up the old butyl tape. Install all new butyl tape all the way around and then put in new screws and probably replace the trim cover strip.

While you've got it off, make sure you deal with any rust issues that have arisen because of the water leaks.

Buy marine grade butyl tape, not the stuff from the RV stores.

The windows need to be removed, cleaned up and re-installed with the same butyl tape that is used for the top install.

I had to have one window re and re'd and I wish now that I'd taken the time to do the top as well. It's not leaking all the way around, just in 2 places in a heavy driving rain if the van is parked uphill so that the rain runs in. With the interior built and in place, it's not a possibility to do it now unless I gut the entire top...sigh!

Thanks so much for your advice! I will get we done! I don't have a garage & I live in Oregon so I have my job cut out for me because the rainy season is coming!

Quick question! What about using the product Flex Seal to make it waterproof?

Twebster said:
Quick question! What about using the product Flex Seal to make it waterproof?

No, a friend tried using some both the spray and the tape and it was junk, it was for a temp. repair on a sewer pipe and it wouldn't even stick. For a leaky roof there is only one way to do it the right way. You have been given some good advise get to work.

Personally, I hate butyl. I use urethane and/or WindowWeld for everything now. It will outlast the entire chassis.

Could you be more specific about the urethane product(s)? That's a pretty general word.

Also, do you mean that specifically in the context of the OP's use case?

Gideon33w said:
I use urethane and/or WindowWeld
I interpret the above as two separate things, thinking there may be a cheaper/generic version.

I see various Sikaflex are urethane based, solid line of sealants there.

Seems the Windo-Weld cures very hard & stiff?

I've decided to find someone to do the work for me but don't know who does that type of work. Do I call R.V. repair shops or body shops?