Water damage, the good the bad and other upgrades

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jimindenver said:
Firestone is the only shop that I know still carries the original tires for that RV

Not many tire stores carry these tires anymore.
With the new 16'' rims I will have a better selection of tires.

Have you checked at a junkyard for rims?$2200 seems very high.

yeah junk yard for rims. unless you want fancy aluminum ones but you will still need two steel ones for the inside rear. Alcoa's are the only aluminum ones I could recommend. highdesertranger

There is only one junk yard in this area, and I did call them, and they didn`t have any rims.
The rims I need are hard to find used here, they are used on a lot of farm equipment around here.

I will check again with the junk yard here, maybe they can locate some rims from another junk yard ?.
I just don`t have a lot options here were I live. Its either the junk yard if they have some rims, or new.

I forget where are you? I assume the PNW because you mentioned Les Schwab. what running gear? highdesertranger

shadow said:
Not many tire stores carry these tires anymore.
With the new 16'' rims I will have a better selection of tires.

The only reason I know this is because I had to find them for another forum member earlier this year. Pricey suckers too.

jimindenver said:
The only reason I know this is because I had to find them for another forum member earlier this year. Pricey suckers too.

They are very pricey, about $250 dollars a tire.

highdesertranger said:
I forget where are you?  I assume the PNW because you mentioned Les Schwab.  what running gear?  highdesertranger

I`m in Grangeville Idaho.

What running gear ?. My rv is on a 1984 Ford E350 Van Chassis.

highdesertranger said:
bummer if it was a GM Chassis I could have set you up.   highdesertranger

Story of my life, if it was only a this or a that, I could help you out.

Thanks.

As many of those rigs still out there there has to be a 16 inch wheel wheel that will fit.  For the difference in tire prices alone it would be worth it to drive somewhere to get them.  Also when I was shipping used auto parts there used to be a lower rate for "scrap".  If you could find some used ones they are probably gonna be scratched up and you might get a better rate.  There has to be someone on here who has run into this before.

I just did some online searching, and other than the one junk yard that is a little over an hour from me, the
other junk yards are three hundred miles from me, one way.

I will do some calling around to some of these junk yards to see if they have the rims I need
and what they would cost. I would have to get a smoking deal on the rims to make the trip worth it.

Wow , just one ? There are 3 here in my small town and probably at least a couple dozen more in a 20mi. radius..
Not all of them are calling themselves junk yard anymore though.
Try Scrap Yards , Auto Recyclers , Used Auto Parts , and other variations.

Also dealerships sometimes have "take offs" that are left behind when someone buys a vehicle and gets
upgraded wheels/tires.
These are in new condition and usually come with tires too !
(Check the DOT date codes on the tires no matter what you're told.)

When I lived in California there were a lot of wrecking yards to chose from were I lived.
Now that I live in a small farm town in Idaho there is not a lot to chose from unless
I drive a long distance.

I will call some of the wrecking yards that are three hundred miles from me to see if they
have any rims, and what there prices are, and decide from there if a trip that far is worth it
or not.

According to the tracking information my new inverter/charger should be here on Tuesday.
But there is another project that I need to start on once the inverter/charger is installed and done, and
that's removing the old carpet and replacing it with new carpet.

Once the old carpet is removed, is there anything I should do to the wood floor before installing the new
carpet ?. And yes, I want carpet in my rv, not vinyl or wood flooring.

highdesertranger said:
if the wood is in good shape just leave it.  highdesertranger

That`s what I figured, I just want to make sure that I didn`t
need to seal it or what ever before the new carpet was installed.

I believe unless you were to have a major leak from the top and would leave it unattended for an extended period there is really no need to seal the top. highdesertranger

Me too ! and I'm still fighting them....skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh

If you're going to use padding under the carpet you might look into the plastic foam stuff they use under wood click type flooring. I did this to my class A and it also helped with insulation and waterproofing.
Any wet spills on the carpet will just dry without getting to the sub floor .