Green insulation

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaadowGorl

Reaction score
Just picked up a fiberglass RV. Lots of water damage, so pulling out the walls & redoing the windows to reseal the rig. 

I was looking at possibly using wool for  the insulation - has anyone here used wool for insulation? wool insulation in a fiberglass rig? Pros & Cons? 

Also, there is a bunch of different types of styrofoam in the walls already (rig is from 1988 & the insulation is original). Some of it has been destroyed by the demolition, but some is still good and in place. Thoughts on keeping what is good and still there or tossing it all and going with a greener insulation material? Removing all the styrofoam means less non organic material in the rig, but ripping out stuff that exists and is theoretically working means waste...

Pic of roof insulation20210926_182531_resized.jpg

Attachments

• 20210926_182531_resized.jpg
    20210926_182531_resized.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 5
Wool will hold moisture and could lead to mold. Burning propane releases moisture and just exhaling has moisture in it. I would stay away from wool.

I've heard that some of the wool insulation products have been treated to make them less moisture retaining. A friend here in Brooklyn just bought a ton of Havelock wool insulation for his box van build. Then blew a manifold (ouch). So not sure where he is going with that.
I thought about it myself and went with the purple "Foamula" insulation board.
It's way better for cutting by hand than other foam boards and has decent insulation properties. Doesn't make a huge mess like the polyci stuff or the white foam board. R10 for 2" board. I'm putting a layer of Reflectix on the outside to keep heat out in the summer, hope it reflects heat back in during the winter?

My friend Pat did a renovation of a fiberglass camper kinda like that about 10-12 years ago.
He went right down to the frame and joists. Found a few nasty moldy parts he would have missed if he had kept the existing insulation.
He's a journeyman carpenter and has worked on boats, so he did a really cool job with the reno.
Used boat parts for a lot of it. I think he relaid fiberglass on the roof too? Either that or he painted some kind of epoxy.
I'd look into that. Fiberglass is known to get brittle when it sits in direct sunlight for many years.