Washington DC

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TooManyDogs

Reaction score
I would love to take a trip to DC. Does anyone body know where I can park for free (safely)? I imagine there would be stringent parking regulations. Thanks.

TooManyDogs said:
I would love to take a trip to DC. Does anyone body know where I can park for free (safely)? I imagine there would be stringent parking regulations. Thanks.

I am so happy this is not a political thread!   :D

I wish I could give you advice on that.  I will be watching to see what comes through.  It would be nice to check out the museums.  That would keep me busy for more than a month.

https://www.google.com/#q=washington+dc+museums

TooManyDogs said:

https://www.nps.gov/gree/index.htm

Stayed here with my Pop when I was a kid. Worth a look. $16 per night. Not too bad for close to D.C.

You are right: parking regulations in DC are stringent (and enforcement is tight). 

I suggest staying in Northern Virginia - specifically, along Route 1 south of I-495 - and taking public transportation into the city. 

That stretch of Route 1 (known as the Hybla Valley) has a lot of strip malls and big box stores and your should not have trouble finding overnight parking. There are a couple of Walmarts along the route, but they do not allow overnight parking.

You could also find parking in the residential areas adjacent to Route 1. The Belle View and Belle Haven neighborhoods between Route 1 and the Potomac River come to mind.

There are bus routes along Route 1 that go to the Huntington Metro Station (Yellow Line). The station also has parking for $4.85 per day - mostly in low-clearance parking garages (on weekdays I expect it fills early).

If you really wanted to be in DC proper, you could try Upper Northwest - specifically the Friendship Heights neighborhood. But even in the residential areas I would look carefully for restricted parking signs. You could find places elsewhere in DC, but Upper Northwest is probably the safest. In truth, driving and parking in DC itself is more trouble than it’s worth. Of course, the $100 speeding ticket I received in August from one of the many traffic cameras around the city might have contributed to my opinion.

hdobob’s suggestion about Greenbelt Park is great and I will just add that the Greenbelt Park Metro Station (Green Line) is close by.

I hope this helps.

Daman

Thanks for the responses!

GotSmart-i went to DC as a kid with my parents and then with a youth group. I'm sure I would appreciate the museum's more now as an adult.

I'm flying to D.C. Thanksgiving day, going to spend a week checking out the museums and memorials.

You might check out craigslist washington dc under services search 'parking' - people rent out their alley access driveway parking spaces and I saw one with free parking for the remainder of November. Exploring by bus/subway is easy and people and transit employees are helpful.

Sassy