WANTED TX Residents Advice

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XFILE36

Reaction score
I may have found my van in TX.  The guy's a mechanic and has a shop, also sells cars and has a car lot.  He said nothings wrong and been kept up well.  Only it may need radiator flush.  I could hire a mechanic to look at it, if he thinks it's good, I could send a deposit via Walmart, then fly there to TX.  I need advice on getting TX, registration, insurance, do I need mail forwarding and becoming a resident?  Any help is appreciated.  P.S. He just had it inspected, also does anyone know of a cheap/safe airline or should I do a new thread?

I don't know anything about resident status but I found an rv in Texas, hired a mechanic then went down to get it. Worked out ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XFILE36 said:
P.S. He just had it inspected, also does anyone know of a cheap/safe airline or should I do a new thread?

Amtrak (if it goes where you're going and the schedule works for you) is always cheaper and so much more pleasant than flying these days ;)

^
Unfortunately, I have a sick cat that needs meds so this is already pushing it far for us.  ty

What part of Texas? 

And if you will be returning to your home state with the van, all you will need is the written bill of sale and of course, insurance, to travel home.

There will either be a paper dealer tag or the previous owners tag.

You home state will then charge you the fees, and sales tax, and you can register it there.

Best bet on airlines is usually Southwest Airlines...they fly in and out of Texas to most large domestic airports.

See if the DMV in your home state also requires a temporary "transport" tag or permit that you may need to drive the vehicle back before it is fully registered.

tx2sturgis said:
What part of Texas? 

lancaster, I want to become a TX resident, so couldnt i register it there and get ins there? (I'M LEAVING CA A.S.A.P.)  TY

Ok thats DFW area.... VERY large metroplex and heavy traffic...I hope you have a GPS or smartphone! Of course Uber can get you from the airport to the dealer or shop.

Hmmm...You will need an address and proof of residency and maybe a drivers license and insurance company...this might take a bit of time to figure out.

Is it a red flag if the seller doesn't want to use paypal for a deposit and only wants to do Walmart or Square to Square money transfer?

Optimistic Paranoid said:
The Escapees Club in TX goes out of their way to make it simple for RVer's
Thank you, just s/w them.  Theyre only there M-F.  Things arent looking good, i cant find a mechanic immediately and he has another buyer coming in an hour.

XFILE36 said:
Is it a red flag if the seller doesn't want to use paypal for a deposit and only wants to do Walmart or Square to Square money transfer?

If you both agree the deposit is NON-refundable, then it really doesnt matter how you send it. (normal safeguards apply, dont give him your CC number for example)

If you both agree it IS refundable then yes, you will have little recourse if the seller defaults.

"another buyer coming in an hour"... then dont stress over this and let it go. There's always another vehicle.

Possibly pm tx2sturgis and see if he could help you find one... I am in no way suggesting he isn't too busy already but there's always the chance he might be able to assist you.

"THERE'S ANOTHER GUY COMING IN A HOUR"  IS A SALES TECHNIQUE.  

ALSO I'D BE WARY OF THE  "JUST INSPECTED".  WAS IT INSPECTED AT ONE OF THE BUSINESSES HE OWNS?  
THE STATE-O-TEXAS IS SERIOUS ABOUT INSPECTIONS.  IF THE INSPECTION WAS "HELPED" ALONG?
IT MIGHT NOT PASS NEXT YEAR? 

I'M FROM THAT AREA.  I'M NOT ABOVE CALLING AND ASKING ABOUT A VAN FOR SALE TO GATHER ANY INFO I CAN.
YOU CAN PM  ME IF YOU'D LIKE ABOUT THIS.

JEWELLANN

XFILE36 said:

Maybe he doesn't have a paypal account?

[/quote]
Thanks Txjaybird/Jewellann.  I will PM you.

OptimistcP- Seller said he doesn't lke Paypal bc of fraud.

Regarding the Escapees club, it's $195 for the first year to get an address (next year is $95), plus $39.95/yr. to join.  I will need an address to get the registration and license.  I think I am becoming a TX resident depending on where I purchase the vehicle.    I want to reside in SD, TX, FL, or NV or is it AZ that doesn't tax?

Thank you to all the Texans and non-Texans who have helped here.

AZ has an income tax.  But do keep in mind that details can vary wildly.

NY is widely know to be one of the worst states in the country, tax wise.  But they don't tax Social Security, and they don't tax a New York State Pension, so I have no taxable income and pay no income tax here.

ok.... I live in Texas ....If the seller chooses you may keep the tags that are already on the vehicle if they are currant... but that is the sellers choice... he can legally retain them but doesn't have to surrender them back to the state as some states require .... if you need to buy some time... Texas will issue you a 30 day temporary tag for 29.95 (25.00 for tags 4.95 permit fee)... that buys you 30 days to get your ducks in a row. But for all of this you will still need proof of insurance.

Tx also issues several other types of permits if you choose to domicile else where.... a transit permit is good for 5 days, they also have a one-trip, 72hr and 144 hr permits

Latest posts