Wanted: Custom Mattress Recommendations

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncagingmyspirit

Reaction score
I'm looking for a company that makes custom size and thickness mattresses. Specificly for bad backs. I found a couple of companies, but not a lot, and 1 company, no reviews.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I also have a Military Supply mattress. I like it. they will custom make it however you want. highdesertranger

abnorm said:
We ordered a custom mattress from:

https://www.militarysupplyhouse.com/sleepus3.htm

They are often recommended on this forum.....You end up "talking" to JIM.......the owner of the company

He DESIGNS your perfect Foam mattress ......makes it in Los Angeles.....and ships it anywhere.......(rolled up like a burrito)
Awesome. Thank you

skyl4rk said:
https://www.thefoamfactory.com/mattress/mattress.html

I sleep on a 6" HD36 Regular Foam mattress on a piece of plywood and find it comfortable. In the past I had a LUX Regular mattress and found it too hard.
Interesting. That was one that I had been reading on. Because my bad back I have found that, More thickness actually makes it more comfortable for me. I will definitely check out that link. I don't mind spending more money to ensure that I'm comfortable. [emoji3]

I used military supply and am very pleased with the customer service and especially the mattress!
X2

Good thread and info, I didn't even realize you could get custom made mattresses w/o costing a small fortune.

skyl4rk said:
https://www.thefoamfactory.com/mattress/mattress.html

I sleep on a 6" HD36 Regular Foam mattress on a piece of plywood and find it comfortable.  In the past I had a LUX Regular mattress and found it too hard.

I just got a new mattress from foamfactory; I went with 4" of HD36 HQ Foam with 2" of Super Soft foam for a topper. I'm real happy, it is very comfortable. I would have liked 6" of HD36 with a topper but my bed space is height limited and I needed the headroom for sitting up in bed.

I found it helpful to search through and read posts on their blog to help me choose which foam to order. Lots of Q&A posts about foam choices thickness and combinations.  https://www.thefoamfactory.com/blog/  I had considered the LUX Foam but some blog posts convinced me it would be too firm.

I needed a custom size which they will provide but it was cheaper for me to order a standard full-size and cut it down to the width I needed. It was easy to cut; an electric knife is recommended but I just used a serrated bread knife and a cut line I laid out on the foam with a sharpie.

The service was good, I placed the order on a Monday and received the shipment the following Monday, even in the weeks before Christmas.

For those that have a Military Surplus mattress, which one did you get?

The Military Supply is not a cut down piece of foam..........it is sized and glued and then sewn with a standard mattress cover

Swirly lines and pillow-top if called for#3yrfeet.jpg Here's ours after a couple months...................

We got a 54" x 76"......That makes it a "short" Full size....(I need to be able to open the bed/storage....van walls taper.....we sleep side-to-side) 

We complained during our order/design "phone-call" of the existing soft memory foam mattress we were using....we hit bottom

Paulettte also needs to sit on the edge of the bed for day use......

Jim choose about 7" of his dense sleeping foam.....with 2 inches of glued soft foam for side sleeping comfort....(No pillowtop)

He would have added SOFT to both sides........... But we could never flip the mattress within the confined space

I think the mattress and FedEx shipping 50 lbs .......rolled up to 20" in diameter 54" long......across the country was about $400

Cut the wrapper and it becomes a mattress !

Attachments

• #3yrfeet.jpg
    #3yrfeet.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 10
Thank you!
I'm not in at a couple of supposed RV foam mattresses this Saturday, at the place I bought my current mattress. They were very vague on the details so I don't think it's going to work. But if I can exchange, it seems easier. I'm aslo checking out all these links.