• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Van Living Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy High Top Van ASAP

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a year ago I purchased the shortest and weakest of the Ford Transits ... a 2019 Ford Transit 150 Short Wheel Base PASSENGER VAN (10 seats total, incl front) with 15k miles, for $33k. Just looking at advertised prices online It appears as though I could prob sell it for $10k MORE now with 23k miles.

Hi all,

I'm still looking to buy a low mileage high top van ASAP. It can either be already built out, or an empty van. I'm looking for a win-win situation, where I get a good deal and you get a good deal too.

I'm in the southeast (Nashville), so it would be better if I found one in this part of the country. But will consider any location, if it's the right deal.

Thanks,
Ric
I bought a 2014 Ford E-350 passenger van in LA last week. I live in Central, Oregon. Next week going up to Vancouver, BC to have them cut off the roof and install a hightop roof that will give me 6’2” of headroom. The body shop next-door is painting it the color of my van. Also getting 2 Maxx-air vans installed and pick lights. Yeah, trying to find a high top that was within budget was out of the question for me.
Tufport is the name of the company and apparently they make the high tops for Overland Vans in Utah. The reason I’m getting it done in Canada is because the American dollar is much stronger than the Canadian dollar. Saving big bucks having ot done there. Good lick and all the best in finding your van!🌞

Attachments

• B71D2504-0999-4DDE-B81D-E3EF339E7256.jpeg
    B71D2504-0999-4DDE-B81D-E3EF339E7256.jpeg
    49.6 KB · Views: 2
I’m not saying these are good deals but they are high tops
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/f...chmen-w-complete-rebuild-59k-miles-29813.html

https://sportsmobile.com/preowned-sportsmobile-texas-inc/
Side note: I have a high top and I’m going full time tomorrow! From my experience it’s worth getting a high top due to the extra storage compared to a pop top style van. I wouldn’t even consider a van I can’t stand in. Good luck with your search and keep checking back at https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f14/index3.html

Last edited:
I bought a 2014 Ford E-350 passenger van in LA last week. I live in Central, Oregon. Next week going up to Vancouver, BC to have them cut off the roof and install a hightop roof that will give me 6’2” of headroom. The body shop next-door is painting it the color of my van. Also getting 2 Maxx-air vans installed and pick lights. Yeah, trying to find a high top that was within budget was out of the question for me.
Tufport is the name of the company and apparently they make the high tops for Overland Vans in Utah. The reason I’m getting it done in Canada is because the American dollar is much stronger than the Canadian dollar. Saving big bucks having ot done there. Good lick and all the best in finding your van!🌞
Congrats! Hope it works out well for you.

I’m not saying these are good deals but they are high tops
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/f...chmen-w-complete-rebuild-59k-miles-29813.html

https://sportsmobile.com/preowned-sportsmobile-texas-inc/
Side note: I have a high top and I’m going full time tomorrow! From my experience it’s worth getting a high top due to the extra storage compared to a pop top style van. I wouldn’t even consider a van I can’t stand in. Good luck with your search and keep checking back at https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f14/index3.html
Thanks for the info! I wasn't unaware of that website, so I'll add that to my daily check list.
P.S. - are you the truck driver that's on YouTube? I think Stan's the name?

Thanks for the info! I wasn't unaware of that website, so I'll add that to my daily check list.
No, I don’t have a YouTube channel.

a year ago I purchased the shortest and weakest of the Ford Transits ... a 2019 Ford Transit 150 Short Wheel Base PASSENGER VAN (10 seats total, incl front) with 15k miles, for $33k. Just looking at advertised prices online It appears as though I could prob sell it for $10k MORE now with 23k miles.
Yes

Agreed - not the best time. Possibly the worst time for buying pre-owned vehicles so far. Does anyone anticipate it improving, what is the prognosis for the future?

I see an over abundance of class B&C RV/vans in the next year or two. A lot of people purchased during the pandemic and I am willing to bet many purchased without thinking long term and will be selling them plus this will limit the number of new buyers so more new deals will be available.

And once Amazon racks up some miles on there Promasters there will be a ton of high mileage ones available.

I have changed my thoughts from making a van my self to buying a used Travado for the right price when the opportunity presents it self.

Hi all,

I'm still looking to buy a low mileage high top van ASAP. It can either be already built out, or an empty van. I'm looking for a win-win situation, where I get a good deal and you get a good deal too.

I'm in the southeast (Nashville), so it would be better if I found one in this part of the country. But will consider any location, if it's the right deal.

Thanks,
Ric
Hey Ric,
Bought a 2014 Ford E-350 with 90K miles. Immaculately maintained. Spent $9000. A steal of a deal. Added a high roof. Price can vary. If you add a high roof, read reviews. Because I mean Oregon it was not a big drive to get to Vancouver British Columbia where Tufport actually manufactures and installs the high tops.
They ship to many U.S. installers across the country.

The other advantage to having the manufacturer also install has to do with the strength of the U.S. dollar vs. Canadian dollar. One Canadian dollar is worth $1.33 U.S. so tje exchange rate also saved me money. I also spent extra to have it painted at the auto-body shop next door that does all their paint work. Most choose white because it was close to 2K to get it painted! But, theu got the color right, Pueblo Gold Metallic. Not a 100% match due to the oxidation of paint on the van do to aging, but close enough and better than white, unles you find a white van. But figured the added value would help if I want to sell it into the future.

Tufport will sell you the top and give instructions for the install.. However, it is not an easy job. It is a lot of work, that demands precision and no cutting corners. Anyone who has is talked a high top and done it correctly will testify to the amount of work.

Sure Tufport can install your roof in one day (in at 7am, out at 4p), but it’s what they do. They have all the right tools, including a forklift hoist to properly position the roof. They are responsible the roof is cut correctly. You only get one shot at it!

Yes, the owner can install, and I am doing all of the interior work on the van for the build out, but I figured the high roof was the one job I would leave with the experts.

Highly recommend Tufport in Vancouver B.C.!

All the best!

Attachments

• A91253CF-6488-43A0-856C-916EC40C6735.jpeg
    A91253CF-6488-43A0-856C-916EC40C6735.jpeg
    332.2 KB · Views: 2
You can use magic -- like I did -- to get exactly what you want.
I wanted a high top in excellent mechanical condition, but with the inside trashed out to bring the price way down.
Magic soon brought me the perfect high-top van with new tires, an engine from AutoZone, and rebuilt transmission.
He charged me only half of what those improvements had cost him -- for the whole van -- because the inside was so trashed out.
But I liked the trashout because I intended to build my own interior anyway.
You can read the whole story of how I went about getting it in the link below titled "My van White Cloud."