wannabe nomad

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShThom

Reaction score
Hi,

I discovered "Without Bound" documentary a couple months ago. From there, I  discovered Bob Wells (Bob has an amazing heart for helping others). From there, I discovered his youtube channel (still enjoying that). From there, I arrived here at the forum.

Back in 1991, after leaving the Air Force, I was homeless briefly before I married Lisa, my lovely bride. My newlywed bride and I moved to Florida for one honeymoon year. We had a lovely apartment (it could have been ugly, but when your newlyweds who cares) Then we returned to our stomping grounds -- near Ft Wayne Indiana. We raised 3 girls, and the 2 boys are still with us -- we live near Indianapolis now. Lisa has been 20+ years employed by Walmart as of today.

We're counting down 29 months to May 2020 -- that's when child #5, Daniel, graduates high school.  Then, Lisa and I will be nomads for the next 2 years. After that, we'll either buy land out west or remain nomadic. Owning a house is a headache to me (although we're not selling our home yet).

I have a lot to do in the next 29 months.  I'm beginning downsizing -- 4 garage sales this summer (I hope), Craigslist, Ebay, etc.  Also, I'm researching now for vehicles -- Ford or Chevy cargo van extended with high top seems to be the right mixture of size and mobility for us.  We plan to buy the best vehicle I can find in late March for $8000 or such. And we will take short 7 to 14 day trips this year to "test the waters", so to speak.

I enjoy carpentry and I repair my vehicles (except for engine overhauls or replacements).  So I look forward to converting our van. 

Well, I've said too much.  I'm glad to be a part of this forum. Thank you,
Shawn & Lisa

Welcome! Thank you for your service and the sacrifices you made for my freedom!

Welcome
I too am a wannabe nomad with almost exactly 29 months -June 2020- until I retire and become a full time nomad. Coincidentally I am also a Midwesterner.
Bast

Welcome to the CRVL forums Shawn and Lisa!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.