Wandering Step Van Conversion Project

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7wanders

Reaction score
hello everyone! I'm somewhat new to the site and forums. I recently bought a step van and am beginning the long and slow conversion process. I'm planning on documenting the conversion on youtube (for those interested in that kind of thing)

here are the basic stats on my step van:
1996 Grumman-Olsen with Freightliner chassis
Cummins 5.9 6bt diesel
Allison 543 trans
18 foot box (26 ft overall length)
85 inch box width, 81 inch height
10,000 original miles (yes, crazy but true)

some pics:
StepVan1.jpg

StepVan2.jpg

Looks like it's in great shape and it should be with those miles.

abnorm said:
With that low mileage ..........what was it it's former life ?

I can see ghost images of the lettering on the side. it was a diesel service vehicle when fleet trucks got flat tires. so mostly it sat in a garage until someone had a flat

7wanders said:
I can see ghost images of the lettering on the side. it was a diesel service vehicle when fleet trucks got flat tires. so mostly it sat in a garage until someone had a flat

Small world over here!

:p

I bought my step van north of Seattle from a guy who was parking it in an artist community quarry. He was a very interesting guy and gave me a tour of the artist community. We made a couple trips to DMV and to get coolant before a test drive and I bought the vehicle. the windshield wipers were not working, so we had to apply RainX in order for me to drive it down to Portland.

I did a short video for those interested:
[video=youtube]

Hi buddy! Been watching your videos! Luv your channel!

You know how one of your viewers suggested the steering wheel mods?
My Sandy and I thought if you got some chalkboard paint for the divider behind you, you could put your logo behind you! That way it will always be on screen, whenever your shooting!

Or you could use magnetic paint, and place all of your souvenir magnets as you collect them!

It's all about branding, and you deserve it!

Keep on brother, your doing fabulous with your channel and your van!

Such fun!

that is a really fun and creative idea about the image behind the drivers seat. I had planned on doing something very much like that for a video discussion space, but most likely I'll put it inside the van in the social area. but doing a 2nd one behind the drivers seat might be great too. thanks for watching the videos

Step vans rule. Nice to see another build on here. This looks like a good one.